The King's Gate
Carcassonne Central
April 24, 2024, 05:10:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: THESE FORUMS HAVE BEEN REPLACED. PLEASE GO TO THE NEW FORUMS: http://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/

Home   Help Search Staff List Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
  Print  
Author Topic: The King's Gate  (Read 53709 times)
CKorfmann
Authors
Duke Chevalier

Merit: 32

Pigs are meeple too!

Awards
« on: March 30, 2009, 01:13:44 PM »

Here is one that is actually an original idea, only the credit belongs to my wife.  This was her idea for the two blank "creativity" tiles.  Each tile could have a city section on it (size or bordering items not important).  Inside the city section is a wormhole (or tunnel entrance if you prefer) that links to two pieces.  If played in the same city they have no effect, but played in two different cities, they would link them regardless of their position in relation to each other and would essentially make them into one city.  
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 12:05:13 AM by CKorfmann » Logged

Flee the fleas!
Novelty
Authors
Marquis Chevalier

Merit: 49

Custom Tile Maker

Awards
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2009, 11:40:10 PM »

Well, I guess some great minds think alike.  Check out "Spatial Manifold" in this post which was posted a couple of months ago.

CKorfmann
Authors
Duke Chevalier

Pigs are meeple too!

Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2009, 02:32:48 PM »

Wow, didn't realize how old this one was...

JPutt has very graciously agreed to help me finish this one.  Thanks man!

Here are the tiles I had in mind.  Not the exact ones, but the layout anyway.  We should probably do without the recourses.  I want one to have a road and the other not to have one.  This image was just easy to get since these two tiles were next to each other.  Took me a while to find it. 

Flee the fleas!
Novelty
Authors
Marquis Chevalier

Custom Tile Maker

Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2009, 11:15:21 PM »

Shall I take this off the Collaborative Expansion list then?

CKorfmann
Authors
Duke Chevalier

Pigs are meeple too!

Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2009, 10:31:06 AM »

Yes, you can remove it from the list.  It should be finished soon.

Flee the fleas!
Novelty
Authors
Marquis Chevalier

Custom Tile Maker

Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2009, 10:59:46 AM »

It's removed from the list.  Perhaps JPutt927 will finish up some of the other expansions on that list and we won't need to do collaborative expansions anymore Wink

CKorfmann
Authors
Duke Chevalier

Pigs are meeple too!

Awards
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2009, 01:10:23 PM »

Maybe when meepleater comes back, the three of us can colaborate on the LotR. 

Flee the fleas!
Novelty
Authors
Marquis Chevalier

Custom Tile Maker

Awards
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2009, 08:01:10 PM »

Maybe when meepleater comes back, the three of us can colaborate on the LotR.
I hope the three of us does not include me.  I've got my hands full at the moment (and for the forseeable future).  Unless of course, it gets voted as the Collaborative expansion of the month...

JPutt927
Authors
Duke

Conquering the world...One tile at a time.

Awards
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2009, 08:42:38 PM »

I think we've finally managed to tweak our design to where we wanted it. Here's what we've ended up with...

Novelty
Authors
Marquis Chevalier

Custom Tile Maker

Awards
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2009, 09:55:56 PM »

Hmm?  I thought we were doing a Magic Portal sort of idea with like a gate or something?  This looks too sci-fi to be medieval Carcassonne to me...

JPutt927
Authors
Duke

Conquering the world...One tile at a time.

Awards
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2009, 10:28:43 PM »

Well, those were never the thoughts or ideas in which I was handed. I simply crafted the design of what the creator envisioned. To be honest, the idea of a wormhole and/or portal seems very sci-fi as a whole. However, I don't necessarily find anything to be wrong with that. I can see your point that it may be a little "out there" for the world of Carcassonne, but that may also be up for debate. I suppose I can always mess around more with the design and even go back to the drawing board if I have to...  Maybe we can get some other opinion's on it as well.
Novelty
Authors
Marquis Chevalier

Custom Tile Maker

Awards
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2009, 10:31:03 PM »

Please don't get me wrong.  I think the tiles are excellent graphically.  Thematically though, it just doesn't feel right to me - it just seems a lot out of character.

A magic portal would be more in the line of the magic and fantasy that was started by P&D.  Just a thought.

CKorfmann
Authors
Duke Chevalier

Pigs are meeple too!

Awards
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2009, 10:35:36 PM »

I hope the three of us does not include me.
No, I was referring to JPutt if he's willing.

Hmm?  I thought we were doing a Magic Portal sort of idea with like a gate or something?  This looks too sci-fi to be medieval Carcassonne to me...
Yes, we did discuss alternatives such as some sort of tunnel or something like that, but I thought I'd give the original idea a go and see how it looked.  If nobody likes them, we can abandon them, but I'd be sorry for my friend's good work to go to waste.  

A magic portal would be more in the line of the magic and fantasy that was started by P&D.  Just a thought.
Agreed, but I'm not sure how we could take that concept and make it unique without starting from scratch anyway.  Any thoughts?

« Last Edit: July 18, 2009, 10:39:36 PM by CKorfmann » Logged

Flee the fleas!
Novelty
Authors
Marquis Chevalier

Custom Tile Maker

Awards
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2009, 11:02:34 PM »

Well, there's nothing wrong with it, if that's how you want it.  As I said, it looks great visually.  Thematically though, it really doesn't fit what Carcassonne stands for, and I'm beginning to repeat myself. Grin

I think the concept is unique, the expansion would probably be more accepted by the general pubilc (and maybe HiG Wink ) if the graphics would fit in with the rest of Carcassonne thematically.  As has been discussed, one of those ways would be to make it a fantasy-theme expansion with a magic portal/gateway (e.g. Magic Mirror?) instead of the more sci-fi Wormhole.  That's just a name-change (and would require a change of graphics), and I feel that it would be better.  Anyways, the decision is not mine Smiley

CKorfmann
Authors
Duke Chevalier

Pigs are meeple too!

Awards
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2009, 11:18:03 PM »

Yes, I agree with many of your insites.  However, we're simply chasing an idea to see where it goes.  If we scrap it all and change it tomorrow, so be it.  I have little to no intention of offering it to HiG as is.  This one is for my wife and just for fun. 

Flee the fleas!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
  Print  

Jump to: