The Ocean
Carcassonne Central
April 25, 2024, 02:55:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: THESE FORUMS HAVE BEEN REPLACED. PLEASE GO TO THE NEW FORUMS: http://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/

Home   Help Search Staff List Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
  Print  
Author Topic: The Ocean  (Read 76372 times)
skipboris
Authors
Duke

Merit: 14

Try out the Ocean!

Awards
« on: March 01, 2009, 09:59:37 PM »

What if Carcassonne were completely developed an became overpopulated?  This expansion/spinoff allows you to leave behind the old lands, and look to the seas for new opportunities to explore and conquer.

My goals with this were:
1) To add a new look to the game.
2) To add a new theme
3) To add several new mechanics and new strategies
4) To keep the meeple count down (you only need tiles for the base expansion).

Please let me know what you think of this.  I'm really open to any ideas, with the exception of art.  I have already drawn around 160 tiles, with more on the way.  Look to the Ocean CAR thread for the latest version.

Again, this is the base expansion rules.  I have a bunch of ideas for the expansion, which is tentatively called "turbulent waters."  It has whirlpools, stranded islands, Chateau D'If, mermaids, a sea monster, and more.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 09:55:51 PM by skipboris » Logged
edmil
Authors
Freeman

Merit: 3

Awards
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2009, 11:33:54 PM »

Looks really good had a look at both the rules and the new tile design and like both - looks like another set of tiles to make and somewhere to store them - ouch  Grin.  Keep up the good work, will look forward with anticipation for the final product.
Novelty
Authors
Marquis Chevalier

Merit: 49

Custom Tile Maker

Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 11:41:38 PM »

Some general comments:

I like the tile art, but I notice that some of the rocks are "cut" in a weird way (compare the rock in the lower centre on all the 3 tiles in the first row.  The tile in the middle is "complete" but the ones on the sides are "cut").  Do you think that could be fixed?

I think some rules examples may be needed in the rules somewhere as well, especially for the battle when 2 pirates or 2 sailors or 1 of each comes onto the same square.

Joff
Authors
Chatelain

Merit: 30

I play yellow... usually

WWW Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2009, 01:13:24 AM »

Love the idea, love the artwork, but the tiles will need revisiting before releasing. Great work.
Scott
Authors
Duke Chevalier

Merit: 45

WWW Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2009, 05:48:15 PM »

I like the artwork, but I feel the appearance of the water is not consistent with the river tiles.

skipboris
Authors
Duke

Try out the Ocean!

Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2009, 06:34:59 PM »

Some general comments:

I like the tile art, but I notice that some of the rocks are "cut" in a weird way (compare the rock in the lower centre on all the 3 tiles in the first row.  The tile in the middle is "complete" but the ones on the sides are "cut").  Do you think that could be fixed?

I think some rules examples may be needed in the rules somewhere as well, especially for the battle when 2 pirates or 2 sailors or 1 of each comes onto the same square.

I decided to set the cut brackets where they are so that there is a margin of error.  Unfortunately I didn't think of this until most of the tiles were drawn.  So, which is better; full, uncut rocks or a margin of error?  Future tiles should be ok.

There will be examples in future revisions.  Thanks for the input!
skipboris
Authors
Duke

Try out the Ocean!

Awards
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2009, 06:48:09 PM »

I like the artwork, but I feel the appearance of the water is not consistent with the river tiles.

Yes.  I actually got some feedback on different art styles before finalizing these.  Nobody really liked the art style of the rivers carried over to the ocean.  If you like that art style, there is an expansion called lakes that follows that art style more exactly.  To me, the ocean should look different.  It's salt water, with algae and seaweed, so it has a different color.  It has waves and sandy beaches.  The final look for the ocean water should look very different from the mainland.  At least that was my goal.  If anyone decides to print these tiles, hopefully they will bring a new look to the board, while blending in with what we already have. Perhaps at some point I will create a river outlet for the river or fishermen expansion.

Oh and here is that sample of the ocean using original art style.  This was one of the samples I pitched to a few people.  At this point there's no going back, however.  Thanks for the feedback
Scott
Authors
Duke Chevalier

Merit: 45

WWW Awards
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2009, 05:28:09 PM »

Indeed, the ocean should look different, but your ocean looks too smooth to me.

skipboris
Authors
Duke

Try out the Ocean!

Awards
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2009, 07:02:31 PM »

Tile sheet #2 - http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=18d688970a740dd6a0f2f20c509059d9e04e75f6e8ebb871

reefs are now inside the brackets.  Can everyone read .png files?
edmil
Authors
Freeman

Merit: 3

Awards
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2009, 07:13:33 PM »

The png file automatically opened in the windows fax viewer. Not sure how well it will work when it comes to printing time.
Novelty
Authors
Marquis Chevalier

Custom Tile Maker

Awards
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2009, 11:01:21 PM »

I like the formatting on the new tiles.  However, when I printed them out, the rocks were rather blur which was a pity.  Is there any way to sharpen the image?  Also, there are roads on the islands, which means one can place thieves on them and score points... I think the roads should be removed.

skipboris
Authors
Duke

Try out the Ocean!

Awards
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2009, 11:05:02 PM »

Ok I'll fix up the roads.  On the unclear image, I need to use a different type of file, probably.
Novelty
Authors
Marquis Chevalier

Custom Tile Maker

Awards
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2009, 11:33:26 PM »

On the unclear image, I need to use a different type of file, probably.
The PDF file was clearer, but not by much.  Heh, I share your pain, but it's nice to know someone else is struggling with the tiles like I did and am doing - the idea of drawing those catacombs is giving me sleepless nights Smiley

P.S. Let me know if I can help in anyway!

Novelty
Authors
Marquis Chevalier

Custom Tile Maker

Awards
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2009, 08:07:56 AM »

Sorry, I hope you don't mind me doing this.  I got some images from the 2 sheets of tiles you have posted so far and made this.  I haven't printed it out yet though, so I  have no idea what sort of quality it is, but it probably won't be better than the images I got...
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 08:20:13 AM by Novelty » Logged

skipboris
Authors
Duke

Try out the Ocean!

Awards
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2009, 05:00:54 PM »

Sorry, I hope you don't mind me doing this.  I got some images from the 2 sheets of tiles you have posted so far and made this.  I haven't printed it out yet though, so I  have no idea what sort of quality it is, but it probably won't be better than the images I got...

That looks good, except the water looks different.  Did you apply an effect to it?  When compared to all the other tiles, the water looks a bit blurred in comparison.  That might stand out.  Everything else looks good.  Sorry it's taking me so long to get these finished.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
  Print  

Jump to: