The four horsemen of the apocalypse.
Carcassonne Central
April 18, 2024, 01:57:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: THESE FORUMS HAVE BEEN REPLACED. PLEASE GO TO THE NEW FORUMS: http://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/

Home   Help Search Staff List Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The four horsemen of the apocalypse.  (Read 11416 times)
PinkPaisley
Vagabond

Merit: 0

Awards
« on: March 01, 2009, 06:26:36 AM »

I think that this should fit into the belief systems and structure of the game.

When populations increase the pressure on the infrastructure increases leading to war, and conquest, famine and death.

The horsemen are horse meeples - they should be white, red, black and "pale" .  They stand by the side of the playing area until there are only X tiles left to place.

x =

2 players - 6
3 players - 9
4 players - 12
5 players - 15
6 players - 18

This would represent three turns remaining for each player.

At that point players draw tiles from the horseman bag until there are no tiles left.

The number of tiles in the bag are as follows:-

2 players - 4 tiles (4 horsemen) - both players get 2 horsemen.
3 players - 6 tiles (4 horsemen and 2 dummies) - one player, perhaps two get two horsemen.
4 players - 4 tiles (4 horsemen) - all players get a horsemen.
5 players - 5 tiles (4 horsemen and 1 dummy) - one player gets no horseman.
6 players - 6 tiles (4 horsemen and 2 dummies) - two players MAY get two horseman, two will definitely get none, perhaps one will get two, two none and the other 3 just one.

At their NEXT turn, before playing a new tile in the normal way, the player places their horseman on whichever playing piece already on the table they choose.

Death.  Removes the meeple from the city that it is placed in.
Conquest.  The horse placed in a completed city gains the points (spoils of war) for that occupied city for the player placing it there.  The vanquished meeple is removed from the game.
Famine.  Reduces final points for a farm that it occupies by 10.
War.  There are no real winners in war.  The horse placed in a completed city gains the points (spoils of war) for that occupied city for the player placing it there.  The placing player nominates a knight of their own (or may have to nominate a meeple from their largest occupied city).  Both meeples are removed from the game.

PP
Novelty
Authors
Marquis Chevalier

Merit: 49

Custom Tile Maker

Awards
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2009, 07:23:15 AM »

Hello PinkPaiseley!

Welcome to Carcassonne Central.  This looks like an interesting expansion.  However, I wonder if the 4 horse meeples really needed?  A player can just show the horsemen tiles that they've drawn, and point to a tile that they would like to target for the effect to take place, without using the horsemeeples.  I think the horses, although nice, should really be optional.

Oh, is this a Carcassonne expansion or a Ark of the Covenent expansion?  I'm sure it could work for both, although I think it fits AotC better.  Anyways, have fun posting here!

Scott
Authors
Duke Chevalier

Merit: 45

WWW Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 07:24:04 AM »

I'm pretty sure the intention was for an AotC expansion.

Joff
Authors
Chatelain

Merit: 30

I play yellow... usually

WWW Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2009, 08:00:25 AM »

I think its for base Carcassonne.
PinkPaisley
Vagabond

Merit: 0

Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2009, 08:02:23 AM »

I only discovered Carcassonne within the last two weeks and have no idea what Arc of the Covenant is.

I will find out of course  Grin

PP
Novelty
Authors
Marquis Chevalier

Merit: 49

Custom Tile Maker

Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2009, 08:04:15 AM »

I'm pretty sure the intention was for an AotC expansion.
I think its for base Carcassonne.
Heh, I originally thought it was for base Carc, then realised thematically it would be better for AotC, then decided it could work for either (and even H&G, Mayflower, etc.!)  That's why I asked Pink what this was meant for Smiley

Edit: Pink: Ark of the Covenant is a game published for the Christian market under license from the makers of Carcassonne.  The story there is Moses carrying the Ark of the Covenant into Jerusalem (or whatever city, just like Carcassonne is based on the French city of Carcassonne).  The rules are slightly different, the tiles are completely different.  You can check out Joff's CAR from the Public Downloads page which will probably explain it in a lot more detail than you wanted Smiley
« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 08:12:20 AM by Novelty » Logged

Whaleyland
Authors
Viscount

Merit: 28

Often the loser, but still undefeated.

WWW Awards
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2009, 04:37:05 PM »

AotC is also no longer available pretty much anywhere. The company went bust. It's so sad. Right when I was starting to want to buy it. Now it is three times its original price and not available from any of my favorite online sellers.  Cry

'There is no place in a fanatic's head where reason can enter'.
- Napoleon Bonaparte I, Emperor of the French (1804-1814, 1815)
Scott
Authors
Duke Chevalier

Merit: 45

WWW Awards
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2009, 06:33:46 PM »

Check your local Christian bookstores and local board game stores. There may still be stray copies left here and there.

ReformedCE
Cottager

Merit: 1

Awards
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2009, 11:21:28 AM »

I liked the idea, but I updated it to include all the Seven Seals of the Apocalypse.  I don't have any art work, but I think the idea might work pretty well.

The Seven Seals
Original ideas by PinkPaisley and Timothy Wood
Revelation 6 and 8:1

Extra Pieces
Seven Seal Tiles:
1.   The white horseman:   Conquest
2.   The red horseman:   War
3.   The black horseman:   Famine
4.   The pale horseman:   Death
5.   The resting saints:   Rest
6.   The panicking rulers:   Panic
7.   The end:      Silence
One End Times Tile
Additional Rules
Preparation:
Mix the End Times Tile into the normal tiles.
Alternately mix the Seven Seal Tiles and play them as they are drawn.
1.   Place a tile
When there are End Times Tile is drawn, the players draw one of the seven seals.  Seals that are not drawn fall upon other French realms.
The normal turn order is ignored during the seven seals.  The player holding the lowest numbered seal begins, moving sequentially to the player with the highest numbered seal.  The player plays their seal as they choose and then draws a tile and plays a turn in the normal way.
1.   The white horseman:   Conquest:
The seal is placed in an incomplete city giving the placing player one point per tile in the city.
2.   The red horseman:   War:   
There are no real winners in war. The seal is placed in a complete city giving the placing player one point per tile in the city. The placing player then nominates a knight of their own to die in the battle for the city and be removed from the board.
3.   The black horseman:   Famine:   
The seal is placed in a farm reduces final points for the farm by 1 point per city adjacent to the farm (cities are now with 2 point instead of 3 or 3 points instead of 4 with a pig or barn).
4.   The pale horseman:   Death:
The seal is placed in an incomplete city and removes all the followers from that city.
5.   The resting saints:   Rest:
The player gets no special action.  Instead the player is awarded 10 points for patience.
6.   The end of the world:   Panic:
The seal is placed in a city moving all followers in the city to surrounding farms regardless of normal placement rules.
7.   The silence:      End:
This player begins the normal order of play.  The player may play the seal at any point during the remainder of the game prematurely ending the game.  The player may interrupt any player.  He may play the seal after a tile is drawn, but before it is played, or after the tile is played but before a follower is deployed, or after the follower is deployed but before the tile is normally scored.  Any remaining phases and players are skipped, and the final scoring takes place immediately.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: