Evergreen Forest
Carcassonne Central
April 24, 2024, 04:36:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: THESE FORUMS HAVE BEEN REPLACED. PLEASE GO TO THE NEW FORUMS: http://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/

Home   Help Search Staff List Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Evergreen Forest  (Read 27181 times)
Novelty
Authors
Marquis Chevalier

Merit: 49

Custom Tile Maker

Awards
« on: October 23, 2008, 12:16:45 AM »

Well, since Forests have been copying various other things (or plagiarising Grin ), this Forest expansion will have the equivalent of:

1. Pennants scoring extra points, similar to the pennants in cities.  29 tiles
2. Follower promotion ala The Orders of Chivalry. 4 tiles
3. Tiles that give an extended turn (i.e. draw a 2nd tile) when played, first seen in Lavender Fields. 12 tiles

45 tiles total

1. I have no idea what sort of icon to use in the forest.  I have a feeling it should be a shield of some sort so that it is easily identified as a pennant.  What to put in the shield is going to be a problem.  I was originally going to use the Aude cross thing, but has graciously suggested that Joff use that for the Orders of Chivalry, so now I'm stuck looking for another image.

2. To avoid confusion, the same round icon from tOoC will be used.  There will be 4 tiles with this icon, and the rules will be modified somewhat for Forests in that a tile with the tOoC icon, will enable mayors to be played onto the tile (as forest administrators? Woodsman leader?) with a strength = to the pennants (item 1) in the forest, in lieu of follower promotion.

3. I thought of using the bee icon from Lavender Fields (representing wild honey) for these types of tiles.  Then I had second thoughts.  There will be 12 of these tiles.

As usual, comments welcomed!

Joff
Authors
Chatelain

Merit: 30

I play yellow... usually

WWW Awards
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2008, 03:25:45 AM »

1. I have no idea what sort of icon to use in the forest.  I have a feeling it should be a shield of some sort so that it is easily identified as a pennant.  What to put in the shield is going to be a problem.  I was originally going to use the Aude cross thing, but has graciously suggested that Joff use that for the Orders of Chivalry, so now I'm stuck looking for another image.

How about using Yellow and Red stripes from the flag of Aragon (Spain)?

Wikipedia:"Carcassonne became a border citadel between France and the kingdom of Aragon (Spain)."

Edit:

« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 04:07:21 AM by Joff » Logged
Novelty
Authors
Marquis Chevalier

Custom Tile Maker

Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2008, 09:12:14 AM »

That's too similar to the yellow and white of Family Feud/Families.  I'm not sure it's a good idea.

Joff
Authors
Chatelain

I play yellow... usually

WWW Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2008, 09:14:58 AM »

Yeah, I did think of that after. But you're only using them in forests, aren't you?
Scott
Authors
Duke Chevalier

Merit: 45

WWW Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2008, 12:15:31 PM »

I think some people might still get confused.

Novelty
Authors
Marquis Chevalier

Custom Tile Maker

Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2008, 05:17:01 PM »

I agree.  I would like to avoid the red/yellow, red/white and blue/white colour schemes for the pennant if possible.

Scott
Authors
Duke Chevalier

WWW Awards
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2008, 06:51:38 PM »

How about an axe?

Novelty
Authors
Marquis Chevalier

Custom Tile Maker

Awards
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2008, 08:10:19 PM »

brown and grey will probably not stand out on a field of forest green.  We need bright colours for pennants, and I'd like something similar to the shields to imply it's the same mechanism.

Joff
Authors
Chatelain

I play yellow... usually

WWW Awards
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2008, 08:36:24 PM »

and I'd like something similar to the shields to imply it's the same mechanism.

This is precisley the reason to stick to the blue/white colours! If it is the same mechanic operating, there is no need to change them.
Novelty
Authors
Marquis Chevalier

Custom Tile Maker

Awards
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2008, 08:57:17 PM »

and I'd like something similar to the shields to imply it's the same mechanism.
This is precisley the reason to stick to the blue/white colours! If it is the same mechanic operating, there is no need to change them.
I thought about that too, but then I'd need a red and yellow set for Families!  I'd prefer something slightly different...

Joff
Authors
Chatelain

I play yellow... usually

WWW Awards
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2008, 09:39:33 PM »

I can't understand why you would need to overcomplicate the expansion!

Blue/White sripes to add normal pennants to forests
Red/Yellow stripes to add Families to forests

Edit:
I think some people might still get confused.

How could people possibly get confused? You can't add a forest section to cities!
It is more confusing to change the image and then say that it does the same job! That, in itself, is pointless.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 09:53:53 PM by Joff » Logged
Novelty
Authors
Marquis Chevalier

Custom Tile Maker

Awards
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2008, 10:24:37 PM »

Heh, but I don't really want to add Families to forests!

The blue and white looks like Argentina stripes and the Red and yellow reminds me way too much of spain.  Perhaps I should just do a french tricolour on the shield...

Scott
Authors
Duke Chevalier

WWW Awards
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2008, 10:51:34 PM »

What I meant to say, was that red and yellow stripes might confuse people. White and blue stripes to match the existing shields would be fine.

Novelty
Authors
Marquis Chevalier

Custom Tile Maker

Awards
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2008, 02:30:10 AM »

Or maybe I should just use a blue/white/red/yellow quartered shield ...

Novelty
Authors
Marquis Chevalier

Custom Tile Maker

Awards
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2008, 10:17:34 PM »

OK, here we go...

This expansion will feature:

Acorn on an orange background pennant.  This is meant to represent the woodsman guild.  It marks the forests where the guild knows that there are good wood to be found and thus extra points for whoever scores it.

Aude roundel.  Follower promotion from The Orders of Chivalry.  It means that the woodsman working on that forest has been acknowledged and has received accreditation from the nobles of carcassonne to supply woodland products to them, or something like that, thus it's a promotion of sorts.

Cherry roundel.  This marks forests where cherry trees can be found.  The cherries can be collected for food by the woodsman, and if needs be, cherry wood is a rather sought after wood.  It motivates the woodsman to work faster and thus it allows the player to extend his turn with a second tile.

Comments?

Edit: Image of cherry and acorn are free clip art.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 10:26:32 PM by Novelty » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: