Archery Tournament
Carcassonne Central
April 25, 2024, 12:34:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: THESE FORUMS HAVE BEEN REPLACED. PLEASE GO TO THE NEW FORUMS: http://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/

Home   Help Search Staff List Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Archery Tournament  (Read 24520 times)
Scott
Authors
Duke Chevalier

Merit: 45

WWW Awards
« on: October 21, 2008, 08:16:14 AM »

Apparently I'm doing Archery Tournament, so here's my attempt at the tile artwork. Undecided

Novelty
Authors
Marquis Chevalier

Merit: 49

Custom Tile Maker

Awards
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2008, 08:19:10 AM »

I would say lose the wooden stakes!

Scott
Authors
Duke Chevalier

WWW Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2008, 10:37:56 AM »

Looks rather boring without the stakes, IMHO

metoth
Villein

Merit: 2

Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2008, 02:58:47 PM »

I like the little archers, but the targets seem a little too brightly colored to me.

Marie
henrysunset
Villein

Merit: 3

Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2008, 04:36:38 PM »

how about a crowd/audience.  If it were a big archery event you would probably have people stading on either sides cheering.  I suspect a single target woudl be sufficient as well.  you also need a clear "subject" to put your meeple on, so it can be differentiated from putting it on the field.
Scott
Authors
Duke Chevalier

WWW Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2008, 04:49:13 PM »

I like the little archers, but the targets seem a little too brightly colored to me.

They are standard archery target colors, sampled from an image of an actual target.

how about a crowd/audience.  If it were a big archery event you would probably have people stading on either sides cheering.  I suspect a single target woudl be sufficient as well.  you also need a clear "subject" to put your meeple on, so it can be differentiated from putting it on the field.

I'll reduce the number of targets to three and put some people on either side. One target seems like too few. I think the wooden stakes help to differentiate it from being part of the field, so I'll leave those in.

Novelty
Authors
Marquis Chevalier

Custom Tile Maker

Awards
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2008, 10:37:55 PM »

I think you need an icon, similar to shrines that doesn't take up the entire tile.  Then you could potentially add roads and forests next to them.  Since farms are not scored until the end, I don't see why there shouldn't be more than one archery tile in the game.  And of course, a barn will displace all farmers from the fields...

That's just IMO though...

Scott
Authors
Duke Chevalier

WWW Awards
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2008, 07:59:10 AM »

An icon additionally, or instead of the archery range itself? The jousting tile doesn't have an icon.

There's only one jousting tile, so I wasn't planning on more than one archery tile.

mathguy89
Authors
Vassal

Awards
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2008, 08:56:50 PM »

Tile looks really good. 

Maybe I'm missing something, but are there rules to accompany the archery tournament?

I'm on boardgamegeek as mathguy6189, feel free to add me as a "geek buddy"
Scott
Authors
Duke Chevalier

WWW Awards
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2008, 10:56:14 PM »

The rules are coming in the near future; they're going to be an adaptation of the Jousting Tournament rules.

mathguy89
Authors
Vassal

Awards
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2008, 11:10:59 PM »

Thanks for the info.  I've just started a regular group at college, so I'm eager to potentially add new things. 

I'm on boardgamegeek as mathguy6189, feel free to add me as a "geek buddy"
Scott
Authors
Duke Chevalier

WWW Awards
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2008, 05:04:42 PM »

Was hoping to post this sooner, but I had a busy weekend:
http://www.mediafire.com/?yydwtenzr5z

Novelty
Authors
Marquis Chevalier

Custom Tile Maker

Awards
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2008, 09:19:46 AM »

About the tile, how about giving the ground some sort of straw texture and removing the fence?  And the spectators from the Gallows will probably make it more interesting IMO.  Oh and if you use the drawing tool in your editor, you can probably convert those spears into bows and arrows...

Scott
Authors
Duke Chevalier

WWW Awards
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2008, 12:30:54 PM »

I agree the spectators from Gallows are much better, but it is too difficult to transfer them from the images that Joff has posted. If he was willing/able to provide the spectators by themselves in a transparent image I would very much like to put them in.

I am not good enough to change the spears into bows and arrows; I already tried. If somebody else is able, I'd be happy to make the switch.

Most archery ranges I've seen in photos are grass. I know you really hate the fence. I'm not 100% committed to it, but I sort of like how it visually ties into the jousting tile. Mainly I think it helps to distinguish between inside the archery range vs. outside, which is important for the rules. I have one last idea for an alternative which I'll attempt.

Novelty
Authors
Marquis Chevalier

Custom Tile Maker

Awards
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2008, 06:04:59 PM »

Well, you'll have to ask Joff for the spectators!

Here's what I did.  I don't think they had longbows in the south of France, so it's up to you whether you want to use it or not.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: