Family Feud
Carcassonne Central
April 25, 2024, 01:28:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: THESE FORUMS HAVE BEEN REPLACED. PLEASE GO TO THE NEW FORUMS: http://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/

Home   Help Search Staff List Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Family Feud  (Read 15917 times)
Novelty
Authors
Marquis Chevalier

Merit: 49

Custom Tile Maker

Awards
« on: October 20, 2008, 06:47:36 AM »

This expansion will consists of the red and yellow shield tiles from Frederick Renaud's Families expansion.  I will be adding extra tiles.  How many tiles should this expansion have to be competitive with official carc?

wellidesigns
Authors
Nobleman

Merit: 2

Photoshop-addict

Awards
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008, 06:50:30 AM »

12 tiles I think

plays with all official expansions + Gold Mines,Jousting tournament, Lavendar fields, Forests (partial), The orders of Chivalry, In the stocks, The gallows, archery tournament, the outpost, apothecaries and tithes, wells, wheatfields, grim reaple, Market commons and a lot of other german expansions.
Novelty
Authors
Marquis Chevalier

Custom Tile Maker

Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2008, 06:56:40 AM »

12 is too few.  The official expansion has 24 up to Abbey and Mayors.  30 might be a better number since I lay the tiles 15 to a page, but I'm wondering if there's demand for more of these tiles!

Joff
Authors
Chatelain

Merit: 30

I play yellow... usually

WWW Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2008, 09:39:09 AM »

Rules are here - although I imagine, as this is being updated they will also need modification.

Families

The original was made to work with I&C only. It mattered not about T&B being added. This also works.

The reason for this is that the Red/Yellow Shields of Families were identical in quantity as Blue/White Shields.

When adding P&D or The Tower the amount of Blue/White Shields went up slightly, but adding A&M the Blue/White increase substantially.

If you are going to update, be sure to get the quantities of the two different shields identical. Perhaps even adding that some tiles be removed from play if you are not using whatever expansion, etc.

My footnote from the rules that I produced is:

Families has been designed to play best with Inns and Cathedrals expansion only. Traders and Builders is an optional expansion and will not affect the game play with regard to the pennants. The reason for this is the distribution of the Blue/White pennants in these sets will be the same as the Red/Yellow pennants on the Families tiles. Although using Princess and the Dragon and the Tower still gives an acceptable ratio of pennants, adding Abbey and Mayor raises the ratio of Blue/White pennants substantially. This presents no major problem if you do play with all the expansions, but just be aware that there will be a slightly higher number of Blue/White pennants. The ideal way of playing this expansion is to have an equal ratio of pennants in Red/Yellow and Blue/White. The amount of Red/Yellow pennants included on the Families tile set is 16 and the number of Blue/White pennants is 3, so the target number of pennants on other expansions is 13. Bearing in mind that the basic set has 10 Blue/White pennants, Inns and Cathedrals has 3 Blue/White pennants. Traders and Builders has none. Princess and the Dragon has 3. The River II has 1. The Tower has 1. Abbey and Mayor has 5.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 09:47:16 AM by Joff » Logged
Novelty
Authors
Marquis Chevalier

Custom Tile Maker

Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2008, 09:49:24 AM »

Yes, it's being updated to strip out the Cloister tokens and the other non-shield tiles (some of which Scott has said on record that he doesn't like!  Those are in Cleric and Serf, for anyone who's interested).  It will be purely a yellow-and-red shield tile expansion (with some blue and white).  Tile totals:

15 red/yellow from Families
2 blue/white from Families
1 with both red/yellow & blue/white from Families (18 tile total)
11 red/yellow by me
1 with both by me.

That would make it 28 for both colours if played with all the official expansions, and 30 tiles total!  Wow, the numbers match!

Joff
Authors
Chatelain

I play yellow... usually

WWW Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2008, 09:59:54 AM »

I never did like the cloister tokens in Families. They were not suited to that expansion. I liked the idea of Families. It made sense, but totally agree that it needs updating. Only the different pennants on tiles were needed for Families to work. Do you have Frédéric's blessing to update, or is this purely off your own back?
Novelty
Authors
Marquis Chevalier

Custom Tile Maker

Awards
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2008, 10:04:05 AM »

I won't call it "blessings" but I do have his permission to split them and to repackage them.

Joff
Authors
Chatelain

I play yellow... usually

WWW Awards
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2008, 10:07:12 AM »

Excellent! I always thought that Families was a worthy expansion (minus cloister tokens) and I imagine that Family Feud will be great Smiley
Novelty
Authors
Marquis Chevalier

Custom Tile Maker

Awards
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2008, 10:08:23 AM »

It's just Families without the cloisters and the non-shield tiles + 12 new tiles.  Please don't kill me if it's not "great"  Cry  Oooh, the pressure!  Undecided

Edit: Since I'm still waiting for Cappy regarding the Apple tiles, I have decided to move on and start with this.  Here's a tile.

« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 05:10:23 PM by Novelty » Logged

Novelty
Authors
Marquis Chevalier

Custom Tile Maker

Awards
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2008, 10:42:57 PM »

Well, 30 tiles is but a trifle Smiley

Download:
Page 1, all of these tiles are from Families
Page 2, only 3 of these tiles are from Families
Rules

I'm tempted to call this complete, since well, there's no extra ideas involved, but I'll leave this until the weekend before moving it to complete.

Edit: corrected links.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 11:21:35 PM by Novelty » Logged

Novelty
Authors
Marquis Chevalier

Custom Tile Maker

Awards
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2008, 08:33:46 PM »

Finalised Rules and zipped version with tiles.

Novelty
Authors
Marquis Chevalier

Custom Tile Maker

Awards
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2009, 08:03:21 PM »

Updated rules slightly (Thanks wicke!) because not all tiles had the yellow&red pennant.  The rules may be downloaded from the Public Downloads page.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: