The Orders of Chivalry (formerly Arise, Sir...)
Carcassonne Central
March 29, 2024, 07:49:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: THESE FORUMS HAVE BEEN REPLACED. PLEASE GO TO THE NEW FORUMS: http://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/

Home   Help Search Staff List Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: The Orders of Chivalry (formerly Arise, Sir...)  (Read 29277 times)
Joff
Authors
Chatelain

Merit: 30

I play yellow... usually

WWW Awards
« on: October 13, 2008, 02:39:38 PM »

While developing ‘Jousting Tournament’, an idea for another mini-expansion came into my mind. ‘Arise, Sir…’ (working title) employs the same mechanic as the ‘Jousting Tournament’ for follower placement, but this time allows a follower to be placed directly into a city that is already occupied (something that is usually illegal), without there being a separate scoring mechanism in place (as there is in ‘Jousting Tournament’). Have a look at the draft rules. There is no artwork for the tile (or tiles) at present, but it will probably display some sort of icon (probably of a knight). Comments and suggestions, as usual, are welcome :-)

Arise, Sir... Draft Rules 0.1
« Last Edit: October 25, 2008, 07:19:06 AM by Joff » Logged
Scott
Authors
Duke Chevalier

Merit: 45

WWW Awards
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 03:02:39 PM »

Hmm... sort of detracts from the normal way of stealing a city.

Novelty
Authors
Marquis Chevalier

Merit: 49

Custom Tile Maker

Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008, 05:33:08 PM »

Did the French also have the same chivary system as the English?  I have no idea if the title and mechanic keeps with the French city theme.

And I agree with Scott, it sort of detracts from the normal way of stealing a city.  I'd also like to be a bit more constructive with my criticism and suggest an alternative... how about a mechanic that replaces a knight in the city with a big follower instead?  That fits in with your theme of knight promotion and does almost the same thing as you wanted - plant an extra knight into a city...

Joff
Authors
Chatelain

I play yellow... usually

WWW Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2008, 01:56:55 AM »

Did the French also have the same chivary system as the English?  I have no idea if the title and mechanic keeps with the French city theme.

I don't think this entirely matters. Carcassonne was just one city, not multiple fortified cities. I do not claim to present actual historical themes, just a generalisation and ideas that people can identify with.

And I agree with Scott, it sort of detracts from the normal way of stealing a city.

It is supposed to be different. That's the point! The placement of a Barn also detracts from the normal (old) way of stealing a farm! But, of course, it might not work in practice. At this point I went rambling on, but i've decided to repost that part in a new thread Smiley

how about a mechanic that replaces a knight in the city with a big follower instead?  That fits in with your theme of knight promotion and does almost the same thing as you wanted - plant an extra knight into a city...

This could work. Which Knight could be replaced, an opposing Knight or a regular Knight of your own with your large follower?
Novelty
Authors
Marquis Chevalier

Custom Tile Maker

Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2008, 02:04:00 AM »

Which Knight could be replaced, an opposing Knight or a regular Knight of your own with your large follower?
The details is for you to decide... I'm just throwing out ideas...

Joff
Authors
Chatelain

I play yellow... usually

WWW Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2008, 06:30:00 AM »

Arise, Sir… has got a new working title; The Orders of Chivalry. This title reflects a more accurate historical setting and takes the variant in a slightly different direction.

It has changed as a result of the suggestion by Novelty.

Novelty’s suggestion solves a problem that I originally wanted to do with the variant, but in a better way than I had first envisioned. The idea is one of Knight promotion, hence the title.

Draft rules of this new direction will be uploaded shortly.
Novelty
Authors
Marquis Chevalier

Custom Tile Maker

Awards
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2008, 06:48:04 AM »

OK, I updated the Variants/Expansions in development thread for the new name.  Do you have a tile picture yet, or are you so stoked about your photo next to the expansion that you are not showing us a tile image? :p

Joff
Authors
Chatelain

I play yellow... usually

WWW Awards
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2008, 06:50:45 AM »

I've decided that my avatar really must go!!! lol

For the artwork, i'm not sure yet. I'm toying with the idea of using 'caps', instead of full city tiles.
Novelty
Authors
Marquis Chevalier

Custom Tile Maker

Awards
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2008, 06:51:42 AM »

Or you can use quarter cities (i.e. cities on 2 adjacent sides).  I like those pieces.

Joff
Authors
Chatelain

I play yellow... usually

WWW Awards
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2008, 01:08:38 AM »

Here are the new rules:

The Orders of Chivalry draft Rules 0.2

Here is an draft example of a tile:

The tile does not depict any new art, just the icon. Other icon options:

Novelty
Authors
Marquis Chevalier

Custom Tile Maker

Awards
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2008, 01:29:42 AM »

OK, the same comments for Maulei applies here as well... the black circular lines on the icons are too thick, the icons need the tile texture added on so that it blends in better.  I think it would look even better if you used the blue and white shields, increase the size, change the background to white and add in the icon.

I like the red horse knight, but I think a simpler icon might be better.  Some suggestions = a long sword or broad sword, an image of the chess knight piece, a white fleur-d-lys (how is that spelt?) on a blue background (old flag of france, still used on the flag of Quebec!)

Joff
Authors
Chatelain

I play yellow... usually

WWW Awards
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2008, 01:50:00 AM »

OK, the same comments for Maulei applies here as well... the black circular lines on the icons are too thick, the icons need the tile texture added on so that it blends in better.

It is simply a draft at present. At present (draft) there will be only 2 tiles, although i'm not sure how many tiles should feature the icon (i.e. chivalry tiles), or even what type of tile works best (i.e. the example is a ccfr tile). There might be better options for this. I don't want to have full 'cccc' tiles in this mini-expansion.

I like the red horse knight, but I think a simpler icon might be better.  Some suggestions = a long sword or broad sword, an image of the chess knight piece, a white fleur-d-lys (how is that spelt?) on a blue background (old flag of france, still used on the flag of Quebec!)

I did consider the chess piece knight (the icon currently on the tiles was one I was considering for Jousting Tournament). A white fleur-d-lys (I'm also not sure about spelling Wink) on a blue background would be too similar to the Royal tiles in Treasure Hunt (which are golden fleur-d-lys on a blue background), don't you think?
Joff
Authors
Chatelain

I play yellow... usually

WWW Awards
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2008, 06:10:16 AM »

Novelty
Authors
Marquis Chevalier

Custom Tile Maker

Awards
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2008, 09:03:47 AM »

Doin the wave  I like both of those!

Joff
Authors
Chatelain

I play yellow... usually

WWW Awards
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2008, 09:15:22 AM »

I like the fleur-d-lys icon, but am concerned that it's too close to Maulei's Treasure Hunt. Not sure about the chess piece though  Undecided

Perhaps the shields need to be slightly bigger?

Any ideas on what tiles these should be on and how many to include in the mini-expansion?
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: