LotR3- The Return of the King
Carcassonne Central
April 26, 2024, 01:45:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: THESE FORUMS HAVE BEEN REPLACED. PLEASE GO TO THE NEW FORUMS: http://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/

Home   Help Search Staff List Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: LotR3- The Return of the King  (Read 20400 times)
meepleater
Authors
Viscount

Merit: 20

Some people finish stuff, others d

Awards
« on: December 12, 2009, 02:44:33 PM »

The final installment in the LotR series. Expect to see tiles such as the paths of the dead, minas tirith, mount doom, and Barad Dur, which is shown below:

As usual there will be 8 quest tiles and 4 other tiles, plus any etxra pieces or tokens. Rules are also coming soon, and if you have any ideas for more tiles, let me know Tiles Done!
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 11:59:59 PM by meepleater » Logged

Whaleyland
Authors
Viscount

Merit: 28

Often the loser, but still undefeated.

WWW Awards
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2009, 04:11:51 PM »

I think that there should be an Osgilliath too. I mean, it used to be the capital of Gondor and the Jewel of Anadun. Such a shame that those nasty Orcs had to foul it all up.

'There is no place in a fanatic's head where reason can enter'.
- Napoleon Bonaparte I, Emperor of the French (1804-1814, 1815)
meepleater
Authors
Viscount

Awards
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2009, 04:40:55 PM »

Good idea. That can be tile #7.

meepleater
Authors
Viscount

Awards
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2009, 11:57:19 PM »

Here is v0.1 of the final installment in this series: http://www.mediafire.com/?eoyndyzmrmo

I'll put up a pdf of the tiles when I get them to print out the right size.

EDIT:
Tiles and Tokens: http://www.mediafire.com/?2nogfg4zx2l

Reviews welcome!
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 01:15:50 AM by meepleater » Logged

Gwommy
Count

Merit: 30

Awards
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2009, 06:27:01 AM »

I'm always impressed with the new mechanics that you come with for these sets, although I've yet to play one.  Some day though.  At any rate, here's a list of my suggested edits as well as a couple of questions about the expansion:

=Tile Descriptions
-All of the paragraphs appear to be aligned left instead of justified.

=Paths of the Dead
At the end of the game, the follower is considered part of the field the paths
are in (regardless of how many other followers are in the field). , a A follower may still be placed on the paths), and also in the field that contains the other paths of the dead tile if that field is unclaimed.

"The fields containing the paths of the dead are not connected."
-I can't figure out what you're trying to say here. Are you saying that the Paths of the Dead can not be placed in the same field, or that a farm can not continue through a field on a Paths of the Dead tile?  Or perhaps something else altogether?

Barad Dur
-The first paragraph has the word "may" on a single line all by itself.  Same issue with the words "is drawn".

These followers are immune to the dragon, towers or the catapult, and may not be taken back or moved to a different section by their respective players.

"When the next quest tile is drawn the eye moves to the road section. Any player with a follower in the road section may move any 1 thief currently on a road onto any other unclaimed uncompleted road, going clockwise starting from the player whose turn it is currently."
-Any 1 thief!? So this includes an opponent's thief?
elmendalerenda
Freeman

Merit: 0

Awards
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2009, 08:25:00 AM »

Again, sorry for not understanding some expansion game mechanics.

Paths of death: works more or less like a market from the city? but only one meeple can be there.

Regarding Barad Dur, not sure how it works:

Why somebody will put a follower there? ok, it safe from dragon, tower and catapult, but wont score any points, so its like losing a meeple. Rather keep it in reserve and use it somewhere else, can be captured, eaten, etc but the scoring posibility is bigger.

When you talk about road quest tiles, guess you are talking about any of the three expansions quest road tiles, but what happens if you draw a quest tile without road?

The lidless eye, works like a portal that allows to move just to the same feature the eye is currently on?

Or Barad dur works like a mini carcassonne city where the eye tells you where you can send the meeples from Barad dur?

Thanks in advance

meepleater
Authors
Viscount

Awards
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2009, 01:57:28 PM »

=Tile Descriptions
-All of the paragraphs appear to be aligned left instead of justified.

They are aligned to the left. I'm hoping that's not a major problem as it would not be easy to change the way I've formatted it.

=Paths of the Dead
At the end of the game, the follower is considered part of the field the paths
are in (regardless of how many other followers are in the field). , a A follower may still be placed on the paths), and also in the field that contains the other paths of the dead tile if that field is unclaimed.
ph has the word "may" on a single line all by itself.  Same issue with the words "is drawn".[/i]

I'll change that.

"The fields containing the paths of the dead are not connected."
-I can't figure out what you're trying to say here. Are you saying that the Paths of the Dead can not be placed in the same field, or that a farm can not continue through a field on a Paths of the Dead tile?  Or perhaps something else altogether?

Your second assumption was correct. The two fams do not become connected by the paths of the dead.

Barad Dur
-The first paragraph has the word "may" on a single line all by itself.  Same issue with the words "is drawn".

These followers are immune to the dragon, towers or the catapult, and may not be taken back or moved to a different section by their respective players.

These will be fixed.

"When the next quest tile is drawn the eye moves to the road section. Any player with a follower in the road section may move any 1 thief currently on a road onto any other unclaimed uncompleted road, going clockwise starting from the player whose turn it is currently."
-Any 1 thief!? So this includes an opponent's thief?

Err... no. Only your own. I'll have to clarify that.

Again, sorry for not understanding some expansion game mechanics.

That's okay. My expansions can be very confusing.

Paths of death: works more or less like a market from the city? but only one meeple can be there.

Um, not quite. A meeple there counts as part of that field, and also the other field containing the other path of the dead.

Regarding Barad Dur, not sure how it works:

Why somebody will put a follower there? ok, it safe from dragon, tower and catapult, but wont score any points, so its like losing a meeple. Rather keep it in reserve and use it somewhere else, can be captured, eaten, etc but the scoring posibility is bigger.

By putting a follower in one of the sections, it means that when the eye moves to that section they may move one of their followers from one feature to another (depending what feature the follower on Barad Dur is in). E.g. with a meeple on a cloister section, when the eye moves there they may move one of their monks from a very incomplete cloister to one which only needs one more tile.

When you talk about road quest tiles, guess you are talking about any of the three expansions quest road tiles, but what happens if you draw a quest tile without road?

I don't think the rules ever mentioned that the quest tile must contain a road. When did I mention 'road quest tiles'?

The lidless eye, works like a portal that allows to move just to the same feature the eye is currently on?

Or Barad dur works like a mini carcassonne city where the eye tells you where you can send the meeples from Barad dur?

Thanks in advance

I hope I've clarified this above, but if not- when the eye moved to a part of Barad Dur that you have a meeple on, you may move ANOTHER one of your meeples on the board (on the corresponding feature) to another (corresponding feature).

Thanks everyone for the edits! v0.2 will be available shortly.

elmendalerenda
Freeman

Merit: 0

Awards
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2009, 03:43:58 PM »

Ok, so the path of the death is used to place a farmer even if there are already farmers on that field  and also counts on the other field where the second path of death is. This means that a follower there counts as two farmer if both paths of deaths are in different fields right?

The misunderstanding I had with the eye movement is that I thougt that the eye left barad dur. Maybe you should rewrite this: "When the next quest tile is drawn the eye moves to the road section" Think if you write "moves to the road section of Barad dur" it should be better, because that´s where I got messed up thinking that the eye was moving to the next tile drawn, but always stays in Barad dur.

"players may place 1 follower into some or all of the three sections now or at any future point" Does it means that one player can place 3 followers on the same turn on each feature of Barad dur?

Can you move a meeple to Barad dur and to a just drawn meeple?.

If playing with the dragon and fairy, guess that if you move a meeple to Barad dur you can´t get the fairy meeple.

By putting a follower in one of the sections, it means that when the eye moves to that section they may move one of their followers from one feature to another (depending what feature the follower on Barad Dur is in). E.g. with a meeple on a cloister section, when the eye moves there they may move one of their monks from a very incomplete cloister to one which only needs one more tile.

So lets see if I finally got it right: If somebody places a follower in a feature from barad dur, that follower is stuck there until the end of the game, in exchange allows to move the same type of follower from one place to another as long as the new place is not completed or unclaimed (by unclaimed I guess you mean the same than completed, or means that there cant be another player follower on that place?). Every time a quest tile is drawn, all players can change the place of one of their follower (if they have a follower in that feature of Barad dur, and the eye is there)  clockwise starting with the player who draw the quest tile.

Does moving a follower with Barad dur count as moving a meeple? or apart from moving one follower you can also deploy to the quest tile?

thanks and sorry for being such a pain Smiley
meepleater
Authors
Viscount

Awards
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2009, 05:37:38 PM »

More answers:

Ok, so the path of the death is used to place a farmer even if there are already farmers on that field  and also counts on the other field where the second path of death is. This means that a follower there counts as two farmer if both paths of deaths are in different fields right?

Yes, it is like having a farmer in each field (although if both paths are in the same field, it only counts as one follower- I'll have to add that).

The misunderstanding I had with the eye movement is that I thougt that the eye left barad dur. Maybe you should rewrite this: "When the next quest tile is drawn the eye moves to the road section" Think if you write "moves to the road section of Barad dur" it should be better, because that´s where I got messed up thinking that the eye was moving to the next tile drawn, but always stays in Barad dur.

"players may place 1 follower into some or all of the three sections now or at any future point" Does it means that one player can place 3 followers on the same turn on each feature of Barad dur?

Can you move a meeple to Barad dur and to a just drawn meeple?.

If playing with the dragon and fairy, guess that if you move a meeple to Barad dur you can´t get the fairy meeple.

Yes, moving a follower is instead of placing a follower on a tile (I think that's what you meant) just drawn, moving the fairy, placing a tower block etc. I'll add that too.

So lets see if I finally got it right: If somebody places a follower in a feature from barad dur, that follower is stuck there until the end of the game, in exchange allows to move the same type of follower from one place to another as long as the new place is not completed or unclaimed (by unclaimed I guess you mean the same than completed, or means that there cant be another player follower on that place?). Every time a quest tile is drawn, all players can change the place of one of their follower (if they have a follower in that feature of Barad dur, and the eye is there)  clockwise starting with the player who draw the quest tile.

Not sure I understand what you're saying here. They can only move a follower once (as soon as the eye moves to that section). The follower in Barad Dur never moves, it's the eye that moves onto the next section. (so every 3 quest tiles drawn you get to move a follower-if you have a meeple in only 1 section). In order to move a follower every time the eye moves you need a follower in all 3 sections of Barad Dur. By unclaimed I mean there is no follower on that feature.

Does moving a follower with Barad dur count as moving a meeple? or apart from moving one follower you can also deploy to the quest tile?

thanks and sorry for being such a pain Smiley

No, moving a follower does not count as 'moving the wood', so you can still move the fairy, place a meeple or tower block etc.

It's fine. I really need to fix up the way I word my rules.

meepleater
Authors
Viscount

Awards
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2009, 06:28:26 PM »

Sorry about the double post- but here is v0.2: http://www.mediafire.com/?th25mt2tnfd

Gwommy
Count

Awards
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2009, 10:30:40 PM »

Hopefully I edited this correctly from your answers used when clarifying Elmendalerenda's quesitons:

=Preparation
-When mentioning the fan-based Mountain or Fishermen expansions, should "Mountain" and "Fishermen" be capitolized?
-I also forgot to ask last time about using the "/".  should there be a space after it?  It looks funny to me.  I'm using to not seeing a space there:  and/or, he/she, etc.

=Osgaliath
"When this tile is placed, the placing player chooses which circle receives the Cathar symbol, and which city receives the pennant."
-One side says "circle" and the other side says "city".  They should probably be the same.

"Both tokens must be placed. The city with the Cathar symbol is placed under siege. If Cathars/ Ssiege is not used, the Cathar symbol is not placed. The pennant acts at all times as a normal pennant."
-This is contradicting yourself.  BOTH tokens must be placed?  But later you don't have to place the Cathar symbol?

=Houses of Healing
"The garden in the centre of this tile allows the field to continue from the top to the bottom as one field"
-Is that the British spelling for center?

=Grey Havens
If you are not using any of the either expansion River or River II exapansions, or the fan-made expansion Fishermen expansion is not being used, then this tile is set aside and not used in the game.

=Paths of the Dead
-Should "Paths of the Dead" be capitolized? I found it very confusing to tell whether you meant one Paths of the Dead tile or two paths tiles.

At the end of the game, the follower is considered to be a farmer in part of the field that the  each pPaths of the Dead tile are is in.

Regardless of how many other followers are in the field, a follower may still be placed on the paths, and also in the field that contains the other paths of the dead tile.
-I don't see any use in this sentence.  You've already said how to place a follower earlier in the paragraph.

The 2 fields containing the paths of the dead are not connected and count as 2 separate fields. If both paths are in the same different fields, then the follower on the paths only counts as 1 follower, not 2 a farmer in each field surrounding the Paths of the Dead tiles. If both Paths of the Dead tiles are in the same field, then the follower only counts as 1 farmer at the end of the game.

=Barad Dur
These followers are immune to the dragon, towers or and the catapult

From now on whenever a quest tile is drawn, the eye moves to the next section of Barad Dur in the order: road, city, cloister, road etc,. eEach time a player with a follower in the appropriate same section as the Eye of Sauron, hecan move any of his appropriate followers in play on a corresponding feature to another feature of the same type on the rest of the board. A follower inside of Barad Dur may not be moved in this manner.
meepleater
Authors
Viscount

Awards
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2009, 11:47:32 PM »

I couldn't be bothered to to insert a ton of quotes, so my answers are in blue.

Hopefully I edited this correctly from your answers used when clarifying Elmendalerenda's quesitons:

=Preparation
-When mentioning the fan-based Mountain or Fishermen expansions, should "Mountain" and "Fishermen" be capitolized?

Yes, I will change that.

-I also forgot to ask last time about using the "/".  should there be a space after it?  It looks funny to me.  I'm using to not seeing a space there:  and/or, he/she, etc.

I thought there was, but if you want I can change that too.

=Osgaliath
"When this tile is placed, the placing player chooses which circle receives the Cathar symbol, and which city receives the pennant."
-One side says "circle" and the other side says "city".  They should probably be the same.

Probably.

"Both tokens must be placed. The city with the Cathar symbol is placed under siege. If Cathars/ Ssiege is not used, the Cathar symbol is not placed. The pennant acts at all times as a normal pennant."
-This is contradicting yourself.  BOTH tokens must be placed?  But later you don't have to place the Cathar symbol?

I'll clarify this to say you must only place the Cathar symbol if you are using Cathars/Siege.

=Houses of Healing
"The garden in the centre of this tile allows the field to continue from the top to the bottom as one field"
-Is that the British spelling for center?

Yes, same with theatre and metre (however I normally forget about these words and use the American spellings- using the 'correct' spelling in this case was probably a typo.)

=Grey Havens
If you are not using any of the either expansion River or River II expansions, or the fan-made expansion Fishermen expansion is not being used, then this tile is set aside and not used in the game.

I will change this

=Paths of the Dead
-Should "Paths of the Dead" be capitolized? I found it very confusing to tell whether you meant one Paths of the Dead tile or two paths tiles.

That confused me as well. The Paths of the Dead are a correct place, and I found singular/ plural confusing when I wrote the rules. I'll try to clarify this.

At the end of the game, the follower is considered to be a farmer in part of the field that the  each pPaths of the Dead tile are is in.

I'll change this

Regardless of how many other followers are in the field, a follower may still be placed on the paths, and also in the field that contains the other paths of the dead tile.
-I don't see any use in this sentence.  You've already said how to place a follower earlier in the paragraph.

That was from your correction earlier, I think. When I was making v0.2 I realised that your correction changed the meaning of my original sentance, so I ended up having to rewrite it, and I think I made it more confusing.

The 2 fields containing the paths of the dead are not connected and count as 2 separate fields. If both paths are in the same different fields, then the follower on the paths only counts as 1 follower, not 2 a farmer in each field surrounding the Paths of the Dead tiles. If both Paths of the Dead tiles are in the same field, then the follower only counts as 1 farmer at the end of the game.

=Barad Dur
These followers are immune to the dragon, towers or and the catapult.

I'll change this.

From now on whenever a quest tile is drawn, the eye moves to the next section of Barad Dur in the order: road, city, cloister, road etc,. eEach time a player with a follower in the appropriate same section as the Eye of Sauron, he can move any of his appropriate followers in play on a corresponding feature to another feature of the same type on the rest of the board. A follower inside of Barad Dur may not be moved in this manner.

I'll change this too.

Thanks for all the comments. v0.3 coming soon.

meepleater
Authors
Viscount

Awards
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2009, 05:04:22 PM »

Here is v0.3: http://www.mediafire.com/?erkloaykzuz

Sorry it took so long. As always, open to reviews, comments and questions.

Gwommy
Count

Awards
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2009, 07:12:15 AM »

Looks good, although I don't know what I was thinking with the edit of that last sentence.  Now I'm reading it and it doesn't make sense. Sorry about that. Let's try this again:

Each time a player with a follower in the same section as the Eye of Sauron is in the same section as a player's follower, the owner he can move any of his followers in play on a corresponding feature to another feature of the same type.

meepleater
Authors
Viscount

Awards
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2009, 02:18:10 PM »

Here's v0.4: http://www.mediafire.com/?tm2mmzr2zrg

I'm going to NZ in a few days so I will not be able to respond much until I return.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: