Incarcerated! (formerly There goes the neighbourhood by Scott)
Carcassonne Central
April 18, 2024, 05:09:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: THESE FORUMS HAVE BEEN REPLACED. PLEASE GO TO THE NEW FORUMS: http://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/

Home   Help Search Staff List Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Incarcerated! (formerly There goes the neighbourhood by Scott)  (Read 13062 times)
Novelty
Authors
Marquis Chevalier

Merit: 49

Custom Tile Maker

Awards
« on: October 20, 2009, 09:05:38 PM »

I have been thinking of a way to make Scott's suggestion work.  Scott's original idea was "The intention is for encouraging players to build in areas where there is little activity."  Taking his basic concept and modifying it a lot...

Expansion contains:
12 "walled tiles" (like the abbey) each with a small cottage in the middle.  Let's call this the Special Guest bastille tile.

To be played with:
1. The Tower
(although it will probably work well with Prison, The Constable, etc.)

Game mechanics:
Each player is given an equal number of the Special Guest bastille tile (up to a max of 2).
During a player's turn, if they have captured at least one prisoner with the tower or some other expansion, they may choose to play the Special Guest a bastille tile and deploy any prisoner to the tile.
The walls means the tiles can be played anywhere since the edges don't have to match.
The prisoner's player loses the number of points = to the number of tiles surrounding the Special Guest a bastille tile.
When a tile is played around the Special Guest a bastille tile, the player that is on the tile loses 1 point as the tile is played.
Special Guests Incarcerated Prisoners cannot be removed by a tower or the dragon or by any other means except completing the 8 tiles around it.  However it may be exchanged when playing with the Catapult (although why anyone would want to do that is a different story).
When the Special Guest a bastille tile is fully surrounded (like a cloister), the player would have lost 8 points in total (maximum at that point) and the follower on the tile is returned to the player's supply.

What this does:
1. Encourages players to build around the special guest tile, while keeping Scott's original idea of losing 1 point per tile intact.
2. Discourages the creation of holes around the special guest tiles - the player on the special guest tile would not want his meeple to be stuck there forever, and everyone else would be building there to make that player lose points.
3. Encourages a player to "buy back" their meeple after it is captured as soon as possible.  That only costs 5 points as opposed to a potential 8 with the Special Guest tile.

Comments welcome.  I settled on "Special Guest" since "Prisoner" was too boring and "Esteemed Prisoner" a bit of an oxymoron, but I'm still taking suggestions for a better name.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 11:56:00 PM by Novelty » Logged

Gwommy
Count

Merit: 30

Awards
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2009, 09:44:18 PM »

How about making the "Special Guest" tile into a Bastille tile?  It may take a little extra artwork, but I think it'd be awesome.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bastille

And then you could place the follower as a captive or slave as to not get it confused with prisoner from the Prisoner expansion?
Novelty
Authors
Marquis Chevalier

Custom Tile Maker

Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2009, 12:03:45 AM »

There's only one Bastille, but there are a number of these Special Guest tiles.  I don't think it'll work well.  Besides, there have already been suggestions that the Bastille be used for the Prison expansion.  Good suggestion though.

Gwommy
Count

Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009, 12:27:07 AM »

It doesn't have to be 'the' Bastille, there can be many bastilles.  It's still a word that refers to a prison.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/bastille

Or the only other words I can think of that might work would be citadel or stronghold.
CKorfmann
Authors
Duke Chevalier

Merit: 32

Pigs are meeple too!

Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2009, 12:06:45 PM »

That seems like an interesting idea.  I like the lower-case "bastille" name better than anything I can think of.  It sounds very French.

Flee the fleas!
Novelty
Authors
Marquis Chevalier

Custom Tile Maker

Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2009, 11:58:29 PM »

OK, I've renamed the expansion title to Incarcerated! (yes, with the ! at the end of the name!), and the special guest tiles are now known as bastille tiles (without the definitive article "the").  For those who are waiting for this, I'll try and get this done after Gold Rush (yes, before Vineyards!).

Edit: The tiles are done.  You can have a look at them here, or take a gander at the image below.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 07:46:28 AM by Novelty » Logged

Gwommy
Count

Awards
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2009, 07:26:18 AM »

The link is broken.
Novelty
Authors
Marquis Chevalier

Custom Tile Maker

Awards
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2009, 07:47:36 AM »

Sorry, fixed!

Gwommy
Count

Awards
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2009, 10:40:52 AM »

Much better.

I do have a question.  Although I don't print out the PDF's, I thought other people do print out PDF's for making their tiles?  If so, then the tiles look like they'd be too big when you print them.
Novelty
Authors
Marquis Chevalier

Custom Tile Maker

Awards
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2009, 05:12:45 PM »

Looks can be deceiving.  It's setup to a smaller page so hopefully it'll print out correctly.  I haven't tried it yet though.

Edit: The rules are now up!
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 02:10:30 AM by Novelty » Logged

Gwommy
Count

Awards
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2009, 06:13:29 AM »

Nice, I could only find one error, which is in the example:

During his turn,
Red and places the bastille as shown and
places his Blue prisoner on the bastille.

-Extra "and" between "Red" and "places"

I also think it should be noted somewhere that a player may not buy back his prisoner once that prisoner is placed in the bastille.

And under "3. Score", the first sentence is slightly confusing:
Each player with an incarcerated prisoner on the bastille tile just played loses 1 point for each tile, horizontally,
vertically and diagonally surrounding the bastille.

-I think that the owner of the prisoners should be mentioned instead of each player.  It almost sounds like the player that places a prisoner loses the points.
Novelty
Authors
Marquis Chevalier

Custom Tile Maker

Awards
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2009, 06:36:23 AM »

Thanks Gwommy. Corrected!

Scott
Authors
Duke Chevalier

Merit: 45