Reservoirs and Granaries
Carcassonne Central
April 18, 2024, 09:28:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: THESE FORUMS HAVE BEEN REPLACED. PLEASE GO TO THE NEW FORUMS: http://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/

Home   Help Search Staff List Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Reservoirs and Granaries  (Read 25211 times)
meepleater
Authors
Viscount

Merit: 20

Some people finish stuff, others d

Awards
« on: July 29, 2009, 09:20:31 PM »

Before I move onto LotR2- The Two Towers I would like to propose this expansion, Reservoirs and Granaries:

The Reservoirs are on 5 or more tiles (depending on the expansions), and a follower may be deployed as a irrigator. At the end of the game, each irrigator gets:
5 Points for the Reservoir
2 Points for every other Reservoir that is orthogonal to the Reservoir
2 Point for every other Reservoir that is on the same field as the Reservoir
4 Points for every Reservoir that is both.
So If a Reservoir has 2 Reservoirs orthogonal, and 2 in the same field, and 1 of the orthoganal ones is also one of the ones in the same field, you would get 5 (for the Reservoir the irrigator is on) + 2 (the orthogonal only Reservoir) + 2 (the same field only Reservoir) + 4 (the Reservoir that is both) = 13 points

The Granaries (5 or less tiles, depending on the expansions).
These have a few effects on cities- a completed city with a granary and a seige scores full points (because it provides grain during the seige), however an incomplete city with a granary and a seige is still worth nothing at the end of the game. A city with a granary in it scores no points for farmers, but a city with a granary and a seige scores 3 (or 4 with a pig/ pig herd/ barn) i.e. cancels out the effect of the seige.

3 new siege tiles are also included

Any comments/ queries before I type up the rules?

EDIT:
v0.1 of the rules: http://www.mediafire.com/?1duqczyjnjy

EDIT2: Changed lakes to ponds

EDIT3: Changed ponds to reservoirs

« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 07:08:50 PM by meepleater » Logged

metoth
Villein

Merit: 2

Awards
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2009, 07:35:35 AM »

I love the lake tiles and the little granaries, but I found the scoring a little complicated.  I know that when we play a huge game of Mega-Carc, it already takes forever for us to do the final scoring.  I wouldn't want to add more complicated scoring to that. 
CKorfmann
Authors
Duke Chevalier

Merit: 32

Pigs are meeple too!

Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2009, 09:24:46 AM »

You could call them ponds instead of lakes.  I think it might be a few too many points though, especially with 10 of them. 

The only concern I have with grainaries is that there are more of them than there are siege tiles (unless you use Cathars too).  There seems to be too great a potential for all of them to be cancelled out.  Not sure how I feel about that.

Flee the fleas!
meepleater
Authors
Viscount

Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2009, 04:10:59 PM »

I love the lake tiles and the little granaries, but I found the scoring a little complicated.  I know that when we play a huge game of Mega-Carc, it already takes forever for us to do the final scoring.  I wouldn't want to add more complicated scoring to that.  

Personally, I don't find the scoring all that complicated (not when compared to 1st edition farms), but maybe I can find some way to simplify it.

You could call them ponds instead of lakes.

Good idea. I'll change it to that for the next version.

I think it might be a few too many points though, especially with 10 of them.  

Well, the meeple is there for the whole game, like a farmer, and I wanted it to be worthwhile giving a meeple for the whole game.
The reason I chose 10 of them, is that in a game of mega-carc, there will be so many large roads, fields, cities etc. that lakes would not get many points. Maybe I should add something about using less lakes in a smaller game.

The only concern I have with grainaries is that there are more of them than there are siege tiles (unless you use Cathars too).  There seems to be too great a potential for all of them to be cancelled out.  Not sure how I feel about that.

I considered that, but I don't think it would be that big an issue. What if the same player that keeps putting your city under seige gets most of the granaries? What if the granary you drew doesn't fit onto the besieged city. What if your knight has already escaped? That's one of the reasons that I added the 5 point bonus, so if you don't add it onto a besieged city you still get a small bonus. Also if you have a city in an opponants farm with a pig and pig herd, and you don't want them to receive the points for that city, as long as the city is not beseiged, then you will gain 5 points (for the granary) and deny them 5 points (at the end of the game).

If any player feels that there are too many, they can always not use some of them.

Thanks for all of your opinions, I shall have 0.2 ready very soon...

EDIT: v0.2: http://www.mediafire.com/?y0jikmmjxnz

« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 04:34:18 PM by meepleater » Logged

meepleater
Authors
Viscount

Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2009, 03:57:50 PM »

I have changed my mind and solved the granary/ siege problem a different way. I added 3 more sieges.

v0.3: http://www.mediafire.com/?m4momxyu3jg

CKorfmann
Authors
Duke Chevalier

Pigs are meeple too!

Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2009, 04:55:35 PM »

You may have solved one problem, but might you have created another?  Wink

Flee the fleas!
Novelty
Authors
Marquis Chevalier

Merit: 49

Custom Tile Maker

Awards
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2009, 01:28:03 AM »

Just a suggestion, but wouldn't "Reservoirs and Granaries" sound better than "Ponds and Granaries"?  I think Reservoirs sounds more agricultural and would match better with granaries.  Just a thought.

meepleater
Authors
Viscount

Awards
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2009, 05:10:06 AM »

From lakes to ponds to reservoirs... oh well, I was getting bored  Wink

CKorfmann
Authors
Duke Chevalier

Pigs are meeple too!

Awards
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2009, 09:00:23 AM »

Just a suggestion, but wouldn't "Reservoirs and Granaries" sound better than "Ponds and Granaries"?  I think Reservoirs sounds more agricultural and would match better with granaries.  Just a thought.
I agree...

Flee the fleas!
meepleater
Authors
Viscount

Awards
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2009, 05:58:05 PM »

(Hopefully) one of the last versions along with the tile pdfs at: http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=3348d38f6a3deb85c79b87b207592a1c2ae6b27d539189905be6ba49b5870170

meepleater
Authors
Viscount

Awards
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2009, 03:29:18 AM »

If no one has any objections, this could be ready to become 1.0

Novelty
Authors
Marquis Chevalier

Custom Tile Maker

Awards
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2009, 09:23:33 AM »

My apologies for being late with the comments but here are my quibbles:

Minor quibble: The tiles are a lot blurry than I expected.  They might not print out clearly.  Do you think you could fix it and make them clearer?
Personal quibble: I'm not sure I understand the final scoring part of the rules.  Do you think you can provide some examples?  Thanks! Grin

meepleater
Authors
Viscount

Awards
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2009, 04:33:34 PM »

What part of final scoring don't you understand, reservoirs or granaries?

Novelty
Authors
Marquis Chevalier

Custom Tile Maker

Awards
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2009, 07:57:19 PM »

The reservoir part mostly.  It would also be nice to have an example in the rules for the granary part too.

Also, the term irrigator sounds too modern for Carcassonne.  There's nothing wrong with it but perhaps a more suitable name can be found.

The Missionary
Cottager

Merit: 0

Awards
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2009, 09:35:56 AM »

Sorry to add this now, and I don't know if you care at this point, Beating a dead horse but I thought it was worth noting. A reservoir is usually created by
"building a sturdy dam, usually out of concrete, earth, rock, or a mixture across a river or stream. Once the dam is completed, the stream fills the reservoir. When a reservoir is predominantly man-made (rather than being an adaptation of a natural basin) it may be called a cistern. The term reservoir is also often used to describe underground reservoirs such as an oil or water well." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reservoir

This leads me to believe that a "reservoir" should have a river or stream leading to it, but it's probably just a nit-picky observation and you can do what you want with the info. That being said, Cisterns and Granaries has a nice ring to it... and I'm sure you'd be really excited to change the name again, right?  Wink  Sad shake head

I introduced CKorfmann to Carcassonne. You're welcome.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: