Carcassonne Tile Designs (without All Those Nasty Expansion Features!)
Carcassonne Central
March 29, 2024, 07:26:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: THESE FORUMS HAVE BEEN REPLACED. PLEASE GO TO THE NEW FORUMS: http://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/

Home   Help Search Staff List Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Carcassonne Tile Designs (without All Those Nasty Expansion Features!)  (Read 32733 times)
Whaleyland
Authors
Viscount

Merit: 28

Often the loser, but still undefeated.

WWW Awards
« on: July 12, 2009, 06:51:02 PM »

Somehow, the old thread seems to have expired or migrated, or immigrated or something. Anyway, Novelty, I was wondering if you were up for making some new tiles? No new features or anything, just some plain simple old-fashioned Carc tiles like you used to make for MathGuy. I've done my homework and attempted (although I know I have missed a few) to create a list of all the possible Carc tile configurations, not counting the features released in expansions. That's right, Vanilla Carcassonne features only! I am including bridges, tunnels, multi-branch roads, and dead-ends, none of which featured in the original Carcassonne, but since they don't really require any new rules, I don't see that they cause a problem.

I am going to look through the MathGuy expansions before posting a list of probably 15 (initially) tile suggestions but I probably have around 30 new tiles I wanted to create. After that, I wanted to recreate tiles that released in various official expansions, but never without expansion features polluting their appearance. Thus, anyone who wants can play Carcassonne with every tile variant without having to tell everyone and remember yourself: "Just ignore those [Inns, Cathedrals, Trade Icons, Princess Icons, Volcanoes, Dragon Icons, Magic Portals, Towers, Shrines, Fairgrounds, Cathars], we're not playing with that variant this game!" Bringin' the game of Carcassonne back to vanilla, that's my goal.

'There is no place in a fanatic's head where reason can enter'.
- Napoleon Bonaparte I, Emperor of the French (1804-1814, 1815)
CKorfmann
Authors
Duke Chevalier

Merit: 32

Pigs are meeple too!

Awards
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009, 06:55:43 PM »

Though I do like most of the expansion features, that sounds like a great idea.  Gives people options.

Flee the fleas!
Novelty
Authors
Marquis Chevalier

Merit: 49

Custom Tile Maker

Awards
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2009, 08:43:30 PM »

The thread, as always, is in my signature and in the Crafting workshop.  However, do feel free if you want to start a new thread there... wait, I forget... let's just move this thread there Smiley

Whaleyland
Authors
Viscount

WWW Awards
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2009, 08:55:41 PM »

Crafter's Guild...got it. Why is it there? We're not crafting anything except new tiles. I thought Crafter's Guild was for creating new physical things like boxes and stuff?

Novelty
Authors
Marquis Chevalier

Custom Tile Maker

Awards
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2009, 09:29:38 PM »

Physical things, including tiles.  A "nothing new" tile set with vanilla Carc features seems like a new tile set.  Unless, of course, the intention is not to produce physical tiles, in which case, I don't see the reason for the thread then...

I guess it may fit in the expansion workshop, but I thought it might be nice to have some traffic in this crafter's workshop as well.

Whaleyland
Authors
Viscount

WWW Awards
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2009, 09:41:23 PM »

Fair enough. I guess tiles are indeed physical, but I only need JPGs to make my tiles. I am hoping I can get 60 tiles worth of these made so I can use them with my tiles I got from HiG when I was in Britain.

Okay, here is the first list of tiles. I decided on an even 12 for each set since that is consistent with previous Vanilla-builder expansions. The first set will hitherto uncreated tiles, official or otherwise. If someone knows of a fan version of it without any additional expansion (fan or official) features, let me know. Here's what I propose for the first set:

1. RRFF with no linked road (two dead-ends)
2. RRRF with no linked roads (all dead-ends)
3. RRRF with left to right road bridged and top road dead-ended
4. RRRR with left to right roads continuous,  top and bottom roads dead-ended
5. CFRR with left road continuous and bottom road bridged to city
6. CRRF with right road bridged over bottom road to city (both continuous)
7. CCCC with 2 small cities on each side of one long (tube) city, no fields
8. CCCR with 1 large triangle city and 1 small city, road splits and goes to both cities
9. CCCR with 1 large triangle city and 1 small city, road to small city
10. CCRR with large square city, 2 fields, bottom road to city, left road dead-ended
11. CRRC with large square city, 2 fields, bottom road to city, right road dead-ended
12. CRFC with 2 small cities, road dead-ends

I have plenty of counter-proposals. MathGuy came up with a lot of these, but he interestingly created a whole bunch of tiles that didn't even make it into my register, suggesting to me that it still isn't that complete. Still, I have at least four more sets of tiles to propose, and I will get the lists up as soon as I have time to cross-check them. Novelty, I hope you are up for this challenge. They should be fairly easy, but not completely.

Novelty
Authors
Marquis Chevalier

Custom Tile Maker

Awards
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2009, 01:46:33 AM »

Don't you have a master's thesis to write or something?  Grin

I'll get to work on these when I get the time as usual.  Do you want a watermark on them?  How about the letter V for Vanilla?

Whaleyland
Authors
Viscount

WWW Awards
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2009, 01:54:21 AM »

Don't you have a master's thesis to write or something?  Grin

I'll get to work on these when I get the time as usual.  Do you want a watermark on them?  How about the letter V for Vanilla?

Yes, I do. And I haven't done any research for it in two days now, although that isn't entirely CarcCentral's fault.  Smiley

Sounds good. A V would be just fine, although if you can find a V that is somewhat in the Carc font style, that would be most awesome. Nothing too overwhelming, though. I mean, this is suppose to be Vanilla after all.

Novelty
Authors
Marquis Chevalier

Custom Tile Maker

Awards
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2009, 06:10:56 AM »

4. RRRR with left to right roads continuous,  top and bottom roads dead-ended
How many field segments are there on those tiles?

Edit: Can you do me a favour and check both copy of Wells to see if some of your tile configs are already there?

Here's what I have so far:

« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 07:00:13 AM by Novelty » Logged

chr15lynn
Authors
Nobleman

Merit: 7

Awards
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2009, 10:22:38 AM »

Awesome!  This is a great idea.
I like what you've done so far Novelty....can't wait to see more!
 Wink

Whaleyland
Authors
Viscount

WWW Awards
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2009, 11:12:46 AM »

4. RRRR with left to right roads continuous,  top and bottom roads dead-ended
How many field segments are there on those tiles?

3. It should be 3 fields. The bridge should jump over a road that dead-ends on one side, basically.
4. 2 fields. The basic left-right road is there but then two roads come from top and bottom but really are just peaking in. They shouldn't reach the continuous road, thereby allowing the fields on each side of  them to link together.

Edit: Can you do me a favour and check both copy of Wells to see if some of your tile configs are already there?
You're right, I didn't check the two Wells expansions (not counting Fountain of Youth). Luckily, there is only one overlap. I may compile a number of these tiles from various expansions, and put them together to build this expansion. Maybe. Here's my replacement suggestion:

6. CRRF with small city and both roads merging then going into the city; no road junction, both cities go into city; should be 3 fields.

Also, concerning your tile for 7, conceptually you're right on, but I was hoping to have the walls for the long city (the tube) still up, instead of crushed beneath the two smaller cities. If that creates a small field on each side, I guess that's okay. If someone really wants to claim a 2-city field, they can. I will keep updating my list with the tiles from the 3 MathGuys, 2 Wells, Thanksgiving & Winter expansions. Again, if anyone knows of any fan-expansions that have just normal Vanilla tiles, tell me and I will add them to my database. Thanks!

Gantry
Administrator
Chatelain

Merit: 20

taken

WWW Awards
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2009, 12:10:54 PM »

Sounds good. A V would be just fine, although if you can find a V that is somewhat in the Carc font style, that would be most awesome.

You mean like this?

Have ideas for Carc Central?  PM me!
Whaleyland
Authors
Viscount

WWW Awards
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2009, 01:25:54 PM »

Sounds good. A V would be just fine, although if you can find a V that is somewhat in the Carc font style, that would be most awesome.

You mean like this?

That will do quite nicely. The capital and lower case versions have merits, so either could be used.

Novelty
Authors
Marquis Chevalier

Custom Tile Maker

Awards
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2009, 05:25:23 PM »

That will do quite nicely. The capital and lower case versions have merits, so either could be used.
I don't want to specifically purchase a font just for one letter...  but I'll see what I can do!

Whaleyland
Authors
Viscount

WWW Awards
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2009, 06:14:46 PM »

I don't want to specifically purchase a font just for one letter...  but I'll see what I can do!

lol, no purchasing fonts. Maybe some "Grab" work/screen shot could get it.  Grin

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: