Author Topic: Seas and Oceans  (Read 2170 times)

Offline SxN

• Duke
  • Merit: 15
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
Seas and Oceans
« on: February 20, 2021, 06:10:55 PM »
Based on what I learnt so far, there are three "families" of seas and oceans:

Family 1:The Ocean (Skipboris) - a huge group including
 - The Ocean
 - Men of the Sea
 - Turbulent Waters
 - Deltas
 - Buried Treasures
 - potentially one more component, alluded to, but not named in the rules version I have

Family 2: Even bigger one (Squiffything, Wolnic, Oldbonz)
 - The Coast starts one main branch
   - The Coast: Catch of the Day
   - The Coast: Cities by the Sea
   - The Coast: Coastal Forests
   - by style, I'm guessing Coastal Bridges belongs here too (Wolnic, is this yours?)
 - Sailing the Seas starts the second branch
   - Sailing the Seas: Reefs
   - Sailing the Seas: Trade Routes
 - Masters of the Ocean starts the third branch
   - Masters of the Ocean: 3 Barons
  - by style and French name, I think Monastère Océanique (Sea Monastery) belongs here as well (Oldbonz?)
  - again, judging by style and language, I think Portailes (Gates) belongs here too (Oldbonz?)

Family 3: (Hawkinssable)
  - Pirate Coast

Moreover, I found the attached image, which seems to be out of the first family, The Ocean (but not sure).

1. Am I missing any expansion with the Sea/Ocean theme? Would you know if Skipboris published some other component(s)?
2. Am I attributing properly and placing in the right family the expansions I'm guessing?
3. Does anyone know anything more about the land/sea interface attached?

Thanks, SxN

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=5074.0

Offline wolnic

• Authors
  • Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 207
  • Ummm and Ahhh! Can't decide!
    • View Profile
Re: Seas and Oceans
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2021, 02:00:27 AM »
For your second group, The Coast started it all. I would then say there were two branches from it, Sailing The Seas (which added the open sea and island components), while Masters of The Ocean was a second branch, which refined some of the issues from both of the predecessors and added new elements.

Yes, the Cities By The Sea/Coastal Bridges was an idea I had, and I created tiles (but no workable rules). I may yet finalise the tiles for those who enjoy creating interesting landcapes.

I would add that both Oceans (1) and Pirate Coast (2) are designed to work with C1, while The Coast and Sailing The Seas include tiles for both C1 and C2, while the Masters Of The Ocean branch (by oldbonz) are just for C2. I think there are several other expansion ideas oldbonz was working on.

In addition, there are a number of Lake/Sea expansion on Carcassonne Forum, and some from a long defunct Dutch site (that I've been unable to track down). I put together a list at one stage but can't find it at present.

For CarcF I can currently find reference to Seelandschaft (48 tiles, author?), Fisher and Seafarer (232 tiles, Martin Bottcher; link to thread on CarcC) and Fishers and Pirates (52 tiles, Manuel Glückler), but there may be others that I've not downloaded. These are all for C1. There was also something from the Czech site that I've seen some tiles from.

I also have an expansion,  Lakeland (48 tiles, Guido Kammer), repackaged by murphy013 and meepledrone last year, that's here as well.

I recall there have been several attempts to combine different Carcassonne games using coastal elements for the transition, such as one I saw recently for Hunters and Gatherers and South Seas.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2021, 03:01:32 AM by wolnic »
AutumnForest (C2), Catch Of The Day (C1/2/WD), Cliffs&W'falls (C1/2), Coast (C1/2), FishHuts (C2), Fluvium (C2), NewForest (C2), Harvest (C1/2), Stone Circles (C1/2), Wells (C2), Jordan River 2 (AotC), River I/II (GR)
Devt: Sakura (C2), WinterEdge (C1), WinterCoast (WD/WE) and others

Offline SxN

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2021, 09:08:25 AM »
My bad; I knew about Fisher and Seafarer and about Fischer and Pirates, just forgot to mention them. The Lakeland, yes, I know it, but is lake expansion, not a sea one :) I am dividing water bodies into rivers/lakes and seas/oceans (and keeping in the back of my mind wells/fountains and marshes).

On the .cz forum I found Vodní svět (Water world), rivers and lakes as well.

I'm also aware of something that looks like a Dutch expansion - Zee & Vissers (Sea and Fischermen, I think), by Jacob Thorsten. Found it with the WayBackMachine. I have the rules and images for four out of twenty tiles; perhaps anyone has the tiles?

Offline totec55

• Nobleman
  • Merit: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2021, 09:20:57 AM »
I can't answer your specific questions SxN, but I can say that that "Family 2" as you listed is fantastic! I have created a set of coastal/ocean tiles using The Coast, Catch of the Day, Ports, and sailing the Seas (currently working on the Reefs and Trade Routes. They are printed , but only The Lighthouses are finished). We have played a handful of games and absolutely enjoy the gameplay! I am hoping that Trade Routes will be bring some more depth to the ocean once I get it finished. I have attached a picture of our latest game. There are a few additional components and house rules going on  :D.

wolnic, I love the visual aspect of "Cities By The Sea/Coastal Bridges" (as all of your tiles) and have wondered how well they would fit in with a game. I plan to print them out and play around with them after finishing the full set mentioned above. I would be very pleased if you finalized the tiles! I am one for large games and interesting landscapes.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2021, 09:56:42 AM by totec55 »

Offline wolnic

• Authors
  • Duke Chevalier
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2021, 11:21:37 AM »
I'm also aware of something that looks like a Dutch expansion - Zee & Vissers (Sea and Fischermen, I think), by Jacob Thorsten. Found it with the WayBackMachine. I have the rules and images for four out of twenty tiles; perhaps anyone has the tiles?

I created a thread a few years back about the missing NL site - see here

The expansions I was interested in were called ...
  • Magical Harbours (wrongly translated - appears as Magical Worlds when translated with DeepL - nothing to do with Harbours!
  • Lighthouse and Water
  • Fisherman and Coast
  • Sea and Fishermen
but it seemed that none of the active members (here and CarcF) knew of them, or had copies stashed away.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 07:44:47 AM by wolnic »

Offline Dkmvs

• Freeman
  • Merit: 4
  • Just lurking around..
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2021, 12:55:15 PM »

I created a thread a few years back about the missing NL site - see here

The expansions I was interested in were called ...
  • Magical Harbours
  • Lighthouse and Water
  • Fisherman and Coast
  • Sea and Fishermen
but it seemed that none of the active members (here and CarcF) knew of them, or had copies stashed away.

Have you tried to reach out to an old member/administrator? He is still active on another site. I’ll pm you the link!

Pm-ed, but the send message didn’t show up in my sent box, so tell me if you didn’t get it
« Last Edit: February 21, 2021, 01:00:12 PM by Dkmvs »

Offline wolnic

• Authors
  • Duke Chevalier
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2021, 01:01:45 PM »
Many thanks.

Offline seli82

• Duke
  • Merit: 16
  • Ich liebe es Landschaften zu Bauen
    • View Profile
Re: Meere und Ozeane
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2021, 05:50:25 AM »
Ich habe mich letztes Jahr auch mit verschollene Erweiterungen beschäftigt. Darunter auch Meer/Ocean. Man findet kaum etwas von den alten Erweiterungen. Und wenn, dann ist es schwierig sie zu zuordnen.

@SxN Hast du Links zu deinen Funden?

Offline wolnic

• Authors
  • Duke Chevalier
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2021, 07:46:22 AM »
I have been able, using WayBack Machine and some info from SxN, to get details of the expansions I was looking for details of, including some low-res images. Thanks to those who helped point me in the right direction.

Offline SxN

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2021, 06:03:26 AM »
Seli, ich habe keine Links, aber ich habe es geschafft, Kopien zu bekommen (niedrige Auflösung, wie Wolnic erwähnt), aber man kann mit (den meisten) davon arbeiten. Wenn Sie möchten, kann ich per privater E-Mail teilen. Gib mir Bescheid.

Seli, I don't have links, but I managed to get copies (low res, as Wolnic mentions), however one can work with (most of) them. If you want, I can share via private email. Let me know.

If there is interest, I can post my findings in the Forum (probably better in this thread: http://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=5036.msg74565#msg74565), with the text in original language (usually Dutch, sometimes German), then we can all translate with the tool of choice, as we need. Once again, let me know.

Side note: Somebody gave me merit. My first :) Thank you!
« Last Edit: February 24, 2021, 06:05:32 AM by SxN »

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
[WTB] Ark of the Covenant - Tunnel - South Seas

Started by Sinscerly

12 Replies
Last post November 03, 2018, 07:56:39 AM
by asp204
xx
Carcassonne South Seas Versions

Started by chris6507

5 Replies
Last post April 07, 2022, 04:02:48 PM