Author Topic: Problem with online games  (Read 3816 times)

Offline rfielder

• Marquis
  • Merit: 10
  • Carcassonne Beginner
    • View Profile
    • Cool Country Nights
Problem with online games
« on: July 12, 2020, 08:17:08 AM »
For the last couple or three months, we have been unable to complete a game using the online server.

I am using the latest, 4.6.1.  This also occurred with the previous version, but I don't recall the version number of that.

What happens is that the connection falls offline with a "connection lost" error.  Sometimes, it comes back and you can resume play.  Other times, it just ends the game.

This has been happening when the two of us are playing here at home, and it has been happening when playing friends in another city.  It does not seem to matter who starts the game.

This has been consistent - we have not been able to finish a game online for a while.

This is the Java on my machine:
------------------------------------------
C:\Users\rfielder>java -version
java version "1.8.0_251"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_251-b08)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.251-b08, mixed mode)
---------------------------------------------

Has anyone else encountered this?

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=4727.0
Robert Fielder
Brampton, Ontario, Canada  EST

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 456
  • It is full of... Meeples!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Problem with online games
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2020, 06:02:17 AM »
It happened to me twice last Friday. It was my turn and after the glitch I could continue after the reconnection. I had never failed before until that day. We had a third reconnection without major issues.

Workaround we used: I saved the game, then I reloaded the game as a local game and continued the game qhile sharing my screen over Skype.

The only glitch we notoced is that players swapped color and names: the first player was playing purple and the second green. After realing the game, the first player was green with Purple's name and scoring, and the second player was purple with Green's name and scoring.
Questions about rules? Check WICA: wikicarpedia.com

Offline rfielder

• Marquis
  • Carcassonne Beginner
    • View Profile
    • Cool Country Nights
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2020, 12:17:25 PM »
I continue to encounter issues with the online server.  Today, just myself playing the computer on the online server, there were several disconnects.  Each time the game reconnected, but brought back the move history which I turn off, and changed the game magnification to the default.  In general, these interruptions are enough to stop us from using the online server.

However, having others connect directly to my PC is now stable.  It appears that the network switch for my office was failing.  After replacing the switch, those issues have not repeated.

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2020, 07:15:53 AM »
Welcome back Robert, it's been a while! Hope that you and monwil are both well! :)

It would appear that farin isn't as present on these forums as he used to be so this probably isn't the best place for JCloisterZone technical support. Instead, you could try via the JCZ website or via the JCZ fan page on Facebook (if you use that).

From personal experience, I can say that I've used the online server with mixed results but it's been years since I hosted a game for anyone. I still play Adda, but I've never had to go to the online server to do so. Can't you just play locally against her?

Best wishes,
Dan

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2020, 07:17:50 AM »
The only glitch we notoced is that players swapped color and names: the first player was playing purple and the second green. After realing the game, the first player was green with Purple's name and scoring, and the second player was purple with Green's name and scoring.

I think this is to do with the order that you clicked your meeple. It can vary depending on this, so if whoever clicked first clicks second next time when you're loading the game, and vice versa, you should be able to get back to the game without any meeple switching.

Offline Bumsakalaka

• Count Chevalier
  • Merit: 31
  • Fan of Fan expansions
    • View Profile
    • www.scifi.sk
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2020, 07:42:46 AM »
It's issue when it is bad connection. Currently I'm on Mobile data and sometimes I lost my 2 or 3 steps.
But I understand why you used online server, becaouse it store every game, so when you have to finish or close app, you just close without saving game and then just connect to stored game online.
It's not bad!
Check JCloisterZone Add-ons with fan expansions and also some Slovak sci/fi projects in English https://www.scifi.sk/en/

Offline rfielder

• Marquis
  • Carcassonne Beginner
    • View Profile
    • Cool Country Nights
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2020, 10:44:04 AM »
Welcome back Robert, it's been a while! Hope that you and monwil are both well! :)
Thanks!  Yes, we are well.  Monwil has been working through the pandemic since she is in the medical industry.  She has survived this without incident - beyond fatigue from spending all day with full PPE.  Perhaps not as bad as a hazmat suit, but not a lot better.

It would appear that farin isn't as present on these forums as he used to be so this probably isn't the best place for JCloisterZone technical support. Instead, you could try via the JCZ website or via the JCZ fan page on Facebook (if you use that).

From personal experience, I can say that I've used the online server with mixed results but it's been years since I hosted a game for anyone. I still play Adda, but I've never had to go to the online server to do so. Can't you just play locally against her?
I played the computer using the online server as a test only.  The test showed that resolving my other connectivity issues with the replacement of my network switch did not resolve the issue with the server.

I've been away - are the tournaments and other online games no longer happening?

And, no, I do not use Facebook.

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2020, 01:29:04 AM »
Glad to hear you're both safe and well Robert, and you're not able to play JCZ online!

Stay safe

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Forum problem with Tapatalk

Started by AlbinoAsian

3 Replies
Last post August 23, 2014, 11:12:16 AM
by Andrew the Ambo
xx
Carcassonne, an existential problem

Started by Gerry

5 Replies
Last post December 24, 2014, 11:09:56 AM