Author Topic: Fruit-bearing trees  (Read 210 times)

Offline Maurice Poucave

• Vagabond
  • Merit: 0
    • View Profile
Fruit-bearing trees
« on: December 29, 2018, 01:33:08 AM »
Hello,

I'm currently testing the Fruit bearing trees, and I have some issues with the rules. (My english may seem a bit rusty, sorry about that...)

1. If I understand them well, no previously placed meeple can harvest from a tree, no matter the distance between them. Correct?

2. There's still a doubt with a later-placed meeple which is one tile away from two or more trees. We have to decide if it can harvest from one or more trees. Correct?

3. Assuming a meeple can legitimately harvest one tree, it can harvest one fruit per turn until the tree is exhausted. Correct?

4. (Barber surgeon interaction) Just my interpretation here. A meeple stuck on a barber tile, taking some good time, won't be able to harvest anything.

5. (Abbey and phantom interaction) They both can harvest from trees.

Thanks for attention!

Linkback: http://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=4179.0

Offline Decar

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
  • Merit: 236
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
Re: Fruit-bearing trees
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2018, 07:02:08 AM »
Hi Maurice, welcome to the forum - thanks for posting the questions.
Memebers of the forum are hard putting together:
http://wikicarpedia.com/index.php/The_Fruit-Bearing_Trees ;)

Which may answer some of your questions - here are my thoughts:

Hello,

I'm currently testing the Fruit bearing trees, and I have some issues with the rules. (My english may seem a bit rusty, sorry about that...)

1. If I understand them well, no previously placed meeple can harvest from a tree, no matter the distance between them. Correct?
This is not correct, When placing a tile with a meeple on it, you can harvest a tree or sell fruit.  Those actions are only available when placing the tile.
2. There's still a doubt with a later-placed meeple which is one tile away from two or more trees. We have to decide if it can harvest from one or more trees. Correct?
This is open for clarification with the publisher.  I believe you may interact with all the trees, in any chosen order when you place a tile next to them.
3. Assuming a meeple can legitimately harvest one tree, it can harvest one fruit per turn until the tree is exhausted. Correct?
Nope - As described, the meeple isn't harvesting the tree, the player is, but only when they place a tile next to a tree with a meeple on it.
Likewise, you can harvest or sell at a tree if you place a tree tile.  But not on subsequent turns.
4. (Barber surgeon interaction) Just my interpretation here. A meeple stuck on a barber tile, taking some good time, won't be able to harvest anything.
I've not had chance to play bath houses yet, but I would assert they can when the bath house tile is placed.
5. (Abbey and phantom interaction) They both can harvest from trees.
Given The publisher has no intention of supporting the interactions of expansions with their mini-expansions, we can only assume.
I would assert it's reasonable to interact with the tree when placing one of your followers (or wooden pieces) on a tile.
Thanks for attention!

HTH

Offline Maurice Poucave

• Vagabond
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2018, 10:20:12 AM »
Many thanks for all these explanations. I've read again the rules and the Wikicarpedia article.

To make things completely clear, if I put a tile with a fruit-bearing tree and place a meeple on it, I won't be able to harvest from this tree on this turn.
But later, if I put a tile next to it and place a meeple on it, I will be able to harvest from it one time.

Then, in order to sell my harvested fruits, I will have to put another tile next to a tree and place a meeple on it.
I will then have to choose between harvesting one new fruit or selling previously harvested ones.

I can't sell just by having one meeple next to tree tile. I have to put a new tile next to a tree, place a meeple on it, and sacrifice my only occasion to harvest in order to sell one fruits set.

Is everything correct ?

Offline Decar

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
  • Merit: 236
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2018, 12:16:06 PM »
Yes I think you're correct.  But, You can harvest or sell fruit, when you place a tree tile with a meeple on it.  I don't think the Wikicarpedia is clear on this, but the HiG rulesheet is:

When you have deployed a meeple, you may carry out one of the two actions explained below.
If a player places a land tile next to the tree tile and deploys a meeple on this land tile, they may, carry out one of the following actions:
... Harvest, Sell ....

So you're correct, later, on another turn, you can place another tile, with a meeple on it next to a tree, then you can harvest or sell.

It's HARVEST or SELL, not both.

You can't just keep using the meeple next to the tree, I guess they're busy scoring points on that feature, being a farmer etc.

I would add that if you place a tree next with a meeple, next to another tree, (so by 2 trees) then you can invoke the action on both trees.
But that's not confirmed by the publisher, it's just we proposed during a meeting last year.  It seems to work quite well.  So in that case you could harvest from one and sell on another.

Offline Maurice Poucave

• Vagabond
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2018, 02:10:14 PM »
Many thanks. You are clearly right.  :(y) I took a closer look at the rule sheet and read:
When you have placed a meeple, you may carry out one of the two actions explained below.
If a player places a land tile next to the tree tile in another turn [...] and places a meeple on this land tile, he may, as well, carry out one of the following actions[...]
It's now clear for me that the player who places the tree tile with a meeple on it can harvest from the aforementioned tree.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
The Circus comes to a town full of fruit trees

Started by dirk2112

0 Replies
Last post January 30, 2019, 06:31:13 AM
by dirk2112
xx
Questions about Trees

Started by Nicholas Mystikos

19 Replies
Last post April 15, 2016, 08:20:21 PM