Expansion 1/2/3

Inns and Cathedrals
20 (57.1%)
Traders and builders
14 (40%)
Princess and Dragon
1 (2.9%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Author Topic: Expansion 1, 2 or 3?  (Read 10621 times)

Offline SamoolSamosa

• Freeman
  • Merit: 3
    • View Profile
Expansion 1, 2 or 3?
« on: November 04, 2017, 07:46:57 AM »
Recently I have started playing Carcassonne with my mum and we like it a lot! My birthday is coming up and I cannot think of anything I want and my Grandma wants me to tell her something and I can't think of anything better than a Carcassonne expansion!

I have read many reviews about which expansion to get and have nailed it down to expansions 1,2 and 3.

At the moment I only have two expansions; Carcassonne Minis 2 and 6 (randomly found them in a shop like 5 years ago and bought them)

Can someone please make the decision for me?

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=3616.0

Offline Willem

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 118
  • Keeper of the Carcassonne Museum
    • View Profile
    • The Carcassonne Museum
Re: Expansion 1, 2 or 3?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2017, 08:04:35 AM »
They are all nice of course.
If i would have to pick one, it would be Expansion 1 Inss&Cathedrals i think. Many agree that his has som elements that should be in the base game, and i've read that in the first demo KJW made for the game, some of these elements were there from the start.
Either way, you can't really go wrong.

Enjoy!
Join me on the journey through the history and oddities of Carcassonne, on My Instagram
1 0 days since i've bought more Carcassonne

Offline SamoolSamosa

• Freeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2017, 10:14:55 AM »
They are all nice of course.
If i would have to pick one, it would be Expansion 1 Inss&Cathedrals

Thanks for the advice, I will probably go with that one as it has many great reviews and as you said includes things that were in the demo

Offline Mr Meeple

• Freeman
  • Merit: 6
  • Carcassonne <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2017, 05:04:29 PM »
I agree with Willem, the first expansion contains the big meeple which will be lots of fun for you and your mum too play with  :) Really appreciate your wish for Carcassonne as birthday present  :(y)

As you've mentioned that you have two minis I think that your base game is also a little bit older and in the old design, right? I'm not sure if you've noticed it, but since a few years there is a new design of Carcassonne which is slightly different to the old one. So if your grandmother wants to pick expansion 1 for you in most shops it will be in the new design. But on eBay you'll find lots of the old expansions.

If you want to switch to the new design there is a new Big Box which contains the base game, 1+2 expansion and all minis, but it costs around 40€ - maybe to much for your Grandma  ;)

Offline SamoolSamosa

• Freeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2017, 05:02:24 AM »
Thanks so much for the explanations. She would most likely get it from Amazon as she asks my mum to send her a link for the item.
Would this be compatible with my old game version : https://www.amazon.co.uk/Carcassonne-Expansion-1-Inns-Cathedrals/dp/B015GF1C1Y
If you manage to find out if it's compatible, can you tell me how to check for myself in the future?
« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 06:29:45 AM by MrNumbers, Reason: Merged 2 posts »

Offline Willem

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 118
  • Keeper of the Carcassonne Museum
    • View Profile
    • The Carcassonne Museum
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2017, 05:06:52 AM »
That is for the new edition.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Carcassonne-Expansion-1-Inns-Cathedrals/dp/B00BJLUGNK/ref=sr_1_43?s=kids&ie=UTF8&qid=1509887064&sr=1-43&keywords=carcassonne
This is the old edition.
You can tell by the box art, or if you look on the back (or pictures from the back) you can usually see some of the art.
For the game itself it doesnt matter which one you have, but the art of the tiles is different

Offline Squiffything

• Duke
  • Merit: 21
  • Do I smell onions?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2017, 05:14:37 AM »
Hi Samool

How crafty are you (in the nicest arts and crafts way :) )

You could have a look through the workshop on here, ask for some blank tiles from Cundco and some A4 label sheets for your birthday and make up some of the fan expansions. It's not too hard and the rewards open up a world of extras for you.

Where in the world are you based? (No addresses just the country)
Oooo, look at all the meeples

Offline SamoolSamosa

• Freeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2017, 08:26:00 AM »
I am not very crafty (at all) and would be too worried that I would accidentally unbalance the game. For those reasons I wouldn't try and make a fan piece at the moment but mabye in the future.

I live in England :)

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2017, 08:50:42 AM »
What type of games do you like to play and how many players?

Traders and Builders is very strategic and the Builder can be used to get more turns and the Tokens can be used to justify completing an opponent's city.

Princess and Dragon does add quite a lot to the game, and usually results in more conflicts between players.

No doubt they'll be part of your collection soon enough!

Offline SamoolSamosa

• Freeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2017, 09:03:42 AM »
We have many games such as Ticket to ride, Catan, Dominion, 7 wonders, zooleretto, Niagra...

We bought those for the family and sometimes play with parents friends. However my sibling has left (uni) and my dads work is very demanding so mostly it's me and my mum and then on weekends my dad (or friends) join if there is time.

My (amazing) grandma wanted me to tell her 2 things for birthday and Christmas as they're close (but not too close) so I suggested Inns and cathedrals and Traders and Builders as I have no other ideas.

I am excited for both as many say that they are not 'expansions' but 'completetions' of the based game!

Thank you everyone for their advice and for voting!

I have gathered that the third expansion isn't as great as the other 2 and opinions are divided.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 09:59:39 AM by MrNumbers, Reason: Merged 2 posts »

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2017, 09:17:23 AM »
Sounds like you're off to a good start!  You should take a few minutes to introduce yourself properly on the 'Meet the Members thread'  :(y) :(y) :(y)

Offline SamoolSamosa

• Freeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2017, 09:20:35 AM »
I have gathered that the third expansion isn't as great as the other 2 and opinions are divided.

(Obviously though I will still get it in the future  ;D)

Sounds like you're off to a good start!  You should take a few minutes to introduce yourself properly on the 'Meet the Members thread'  :(y) :(y) :(y)

Will do!
« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 10:00:06 AM by MrNumbers, Reason: Merged 2 posts »

Offline Mr Meeple

• Freeman
  • Merit: 6
  • Carcassonne <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2017, 12:27:12 PM »
If you manage to find out if it's compatible, can you tell me how to check for myself in the future?

On Bgg there is a rider for every expansion which gives you an overview about the different versions that have been released over the time. Just click on an expansion and you will find the rider "Versions". Hope that helps  :)

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeksearch.php?action=search&objecttype=boardgame&q=carcassonne&B1=Go

Offline Ratz65

• Marquis
  • Merit: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2017, 04:28:02 AM »
Tell your grandma, you need all 3 and the expansions 4 - 10  8)  ;D

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2017, 05:10:29 AM »
I think that since the first 3 expansions together include the same number of tiles as the base game that they should all be considered mandatory and no game should be played without them!

Seriously though, regardless of what you ask for you're definitely looking in the right place to start. Of the first 2 expansions, I think the first (Inns & Cathedrals) feels most like a natural extension of the basic game, but for me, the second (Traders & Builders) is more fun and brings more to the game (builder, pig, trade tokens, and a more interesting selection of tiles). I'm sure you won't be disappointed with either though!

It's still worth getting Princess & Dragon of course, but as the responses to your poll suggest, this probably isn't the best place to start. Once you've had a chance to gather a few different expansions and have grown more familiar with the game, it is definitely worth looking at this again though! :) :(y)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
WTT/FS Expansion: 2 (2.0) -> Expansion: 2 (2.1)

Started by Tolben

3 Replies
Last post March 03, 2021, 08:55:40 AM
by Tolben
xx
New mini expansion: The Signposts

Started by corinthiens13

37 Replies
Last post December 04, 2021, 01:16:31 AM
by Meepledrone
xx
Good price for the catapult expansion?