Author Topic: World Cup of Carcassonne Central - 2016  (Read 37190 times)

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
Re: World Cup of Carcassonne Central - 2016
« Reply #60 on: October 03, 2016, 05:42:47 PM »
Yep, she's coming too. The only thing is that she will attend the fair max 1 day, most likely saturday. Otherwise, maybe friday or saturday evening. Place where we stay is close to Zollverein.

Oh cool, that sounds perfect. I will also attend only on Saturday, and I'll be free to play on Friday night (I arrive at about 8pm) or Saturday night, so we should try to make it happen. I'll PM you my number.

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 04, 2016, 03:31:01 PM »
Hello again everyone.

Apologies for the delay in bringing this update to you, hopefully it will have been worth the wait and should clear up any questions anyone may have about how the competition will be run:

Group stage
Every participant has been assigned to one of 4 groups (labelled A – D) and each group has 6 participants. Everybody in each group should play a single, head-to-head game against everyone else in their group individually. This means that everyone taking part in the World Cup will get to play 5 games at this stage of the competition.

Games
Games should be played online via JCloisterZone version 3.4.2 which can be downloaded here: http://jcloisterzone.com/builds/JCloisterZone-3.4.2.zip. You must be running the same version of JCZ as your opponent in order for the game to work (so let's all stick with 3.4.2) and please remember to unzip this before you attempt to run it as you will encounter difficulties connecting to a game otherwise! Alternatively, with many of us heading to Essen this year it may also be possible for some games to be played in person. If this is the case, please do so and be sure to post photos of the finished landscape!

In order that they can take place, online games require a host which may be one of the players, or even a third person who isn't taking part in the match. If neither you nor your opponent has the ability to host games directly, please ask if someone else in your group is able to host for you at the time of your scheduled match. Failing this, someone in the chat room (see below) may be able to host for you or there is an online server which can be used by selecting JCloisterZone's "Play Online" option.

In the event of either player losing connection while the game is in progress, the game should be saved so that it can be reloaded. There will normally be someone in the chat room who will guide you through how this can be achieved, but it is a relatively simple process...

Expansions
All games at the group stage should include the following expansions:
  • Inns & Cathedrals
  • Traders & Builders
  • The River (1)
  • The Phantom
(these can be selected on the pre-game screen where you choose a colour and enter your name).

Please make sure you are familiar with the way the River is played through JCloisterZone as it doesn't entirely fit our officially recognised rules. The difference is only very subtle but affects the play order depending on who gets to place the final river tile/ lake. This caused upset last year which resulted in this expansion being withdrawn from all subsequent games but I'm re-instating it this year on the proviso that players have a quick test game against an AI opponent (or other) and accept that you have been warned!

Please also ensure that the "Randomize playing order" checkbox is enabled/ ticked so that the starting player will be chosen at random.

Artificial Aids
One of the goals of the CarcC tournaments I've organised has always been to mirror the experience of playing Carcassonne in person as closely as possible. Obviously this could be rather difficult since we have competitors from all over the world taking part, so we use JCloisterZone or other online methods of play where playing in person simply isn't feasible (travel/ cost/ time/ money/ etc). However, JCloisterZone now includes a number of artificial player aids such as Farm Hints, Projected Scores and even a screen showing tile breakdown, none of which would be available to players playing in person with a physical copy of the game. For this reason, I urge all players to avoid using these features of JCloisterZone and to rely purely on their wits while their games are in progress. Deliberate failure to ignore this and make use of JCloisterZone's artificial aids is considered cheating so please respect the integrity of the competition and the honesty of your opponents by avoiding them at all costs!

How groups will be ranked
Players will be awarded 2 group points for a win or 1 group point for a draw so that an overall group-ranking can be established. "Points Differential" (total points scored by you minus total points scored against you in all games) will be used as a tie-breaker and the top 2 players from each group will go through to the knock-out stage.

Communication
I will send an email round to each group once the competition is live. Please use this and/ or Private Messages (PMs) as an opportunity to schedule suitable times for your matches. Don't just sign in to the chat room and hope that someone will be there and available to play! There will also be a dedicated thread for each group (which I will link to in the email I send you) which is intended for you to record scores, post screenshots (including score breakdown) and game reports so that your groups progress can be tracked.

Chat room
Our web-based chat page is a handy place to meet with your opponent before your match, or to chat with other members of Carcassonne Central. It can be accessed through your browser by following this link: http://sydby.com/carcassonne/irc/index.html. You will usually be able to find a third-party host here as necessary, and can also seek technical support relating to JCloisterZone or crashed games in the unlikely event that you need it.

Prizes
Unfortunately I can no longer support a prize fund so we're playing purely for honour and bragging rights this year!

What happens next?
More information regarding the rest of the tournament (specifically the knock-out stage) will be disclosed as the group stage begins to wind down.

Please ask now if you have any questions. Because if you have a question, the chances are that others might have the same question and I want everything to be as clear as can be in advance of what's sure to be a fantastic competition for all involved!

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
  • Merit: 127
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 04, 2016, 03:54:57 PM »
The forums-section for the world-cup is hidden for many members.

danisthirty,
did you update the members for the hidden forum who are participants of this tournament - for example laura82 and the members who only play the world cup tournament?

Greetings
kettlefish

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 04, 2016, 04:02:15 PM »
Thanks for the reminder! :(y)

Although there is nothing posted on the dedicated forum yet there soon will be. There were just two competitors who didn't have access to it though, and I have now added them both...

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 04, 2016, 04:34:12 PM »
The competition is now live!

Please find your dedicated group threads below:

Group A
Group B
Group C
Group D

Good luck everyone! :(y)

Offline jma03

• Count
  • Merit: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 06, 2016, 07:58:26 AM »
I just realized, that merlin 89 is not aimed at this tournament.
something has happened?
It is a big surprise
When you lose, do not look at what you lost, but what's left to win ..

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 06, 2016, 08:23:31 AM »
Yes it is a shame that he didn't enter but I haven't heard from him for a while so can only assume he is taking a break after his national championships...

Offline Halfling

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 49
  • Welcome tournament 2015 winner.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 06, 2016, 05:00:55 PM »
 I sent a PM to Merlin just in case he had missed the thread.
The Geek shall inherit the earth if we get a good die role

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 06, 2016, 09:05:19 PM »
I sent a PM to Merlin just in case he had missed the thread.

I messaged him about a week ago. No response.

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #69 on: October 11, 2016, 02:38:30 PM »
Grabushka and I will play our Group A World Cup game in person at Essen on Saturday.

Here's my Basically Wooden travel box ready for the trip! Grabushka will be blue and I'll be green.

Offline Halfling

• Chatelain
  • Welcome tournament 2015 winner.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 11, 2016, 06:09:03 PM »
I have the league tables up to date, so can carry on MrNumbers good work whilst Essen is in progress.

Offline Leven

• Viscount
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 20, 2016, 07:18:33 AM »
Hi everyone. Sorry, I've not been keeping tabs on the forum recently (thanks for the PM Dan) or played Carc for a few months. It looks like I'm a little late to register my interest for this, so please bear me in mind should someone drop out and need replacing. Good luck all.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Hi Rich_The_Fish,

It seems aenima cannot continue the tournament, he is out of group B after playing one single game. Would you like to take his place for the remaining 4 games of the group stage?

Offline Rich_The_Fish

• Marquis
  • Merit: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 20, 2016, 04:22:39 PM »
Hi Leven, thanks for getting in touch. Sorry to hear aenima is unable to continue. Yes, I can take over the place and should be free several evenings next week (maybe even this weekend too). I'll send the group a PM tomorrow night once I know when I'm likely to be around. Cheers

Offline Adrornalin

• Duke
  • Merit: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 21, 2016, 02:59:27 AM »
Hello Rich, I'm in group B and only free to play until Sunday 17:00, your UK time.

But, I wanted to say that we should wait for aenimas and dans 'official' statement, before we plan further things. Or?

Offline Jéré

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 62
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 21, 2016, 03:05:39 AM »
I've talked to Dan in Essen about this and I think that was the plan, but indeed an official confirmation would be good.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
2016 World Cup - Group A

Started by danisthirty

62 Replies
Last post November 16, 2016, 02:08:14 PM
by MrNumbers
xx
2016 World Cup - Group D

Started by danisthirty

59 Replies
Last post November 14, 2016, 04:27:07 AM