Author Topic: Quick question about Essen 2016  (Read 9277 times)

Offline Jéré

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 62
    • View Profile
Quick question about Essen 2016
« on: January 07, 2016, 02:40:39 AM »
I understand that is it quite early to talk about Spiel 2016, but I wanted to ask something BEFORE the main thread gets created.

I have read that this year several forum members plan to go and meet there. It's going to be a blast and I wouldn't want to miss that!

I was just wondering if it would be possible to organise the main gathering on the Saturday afternoon instead of Thursday (like in 2015)? I'm afraid that it would be impossible for me to take holidays during that period and I could travel to Essen on Saturday morning, or perhaps Friday evening if necessary. Does it sound like a reasonable request? Thanks!

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=2318.0

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
  • Merit: 127
    • View Profile
Re: Quick question about Essen 2016
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2016, 03:14:17 AM »
Hi Jéré,
sorry it is not possible for the fan-members-meeting on Saturday.
Saturday is the German CC Championship and on Sunday is the CC-Worldchampionship.
The only day what is "free" is our Thursday - 13. October 2016.

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2016, 03:28:53 AM »
I was just wondering if it would be possible to organise the main gathering on the Saturday afternoon instead of Thursday (like in 2015)? I'm afraid that it would be impossible for me to take holidays during that period and I could travel to Essen on Saturday morning, or perhaps Friday evening if necessary. Does it sound like a reasonable request? Thanks!

That is a very reasonable request, +1. If it's on a Saturday I'll almost certainly go. If it's on Thursday I'll have to take two days off work so I probably won't come.

Hi Jéré,
sorry it is not possible for the fan-members-meeting on Saturday.
Saturday is the German CC Championship and on Sunday is the CC-Worldchampionship.
The only day what is "free" is our Thursday - 13. October 2016.

I don't really see why the German and world championship prevent a fan meeting, especially the world championship. Why can't the non-German members meet on Saturday? Or why can't we all meet on Sunday since none of us will be participating anyway?

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 91
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2016, 05:34:22 AM »
I think this is related with Klaus-Jürgen availability during these events. On Thursday he can give the community some time, but on weekend he will be busy with championships.
It is not prohibited to organize non-official meeting on Saturday, but I'm afraid, this will be without HiG officials, just us, fans :)
As for me, I already reserved a whole week in October as my vacation, so my plan is to be there for all 4 days.
"I never lose. Either I win or I learn." (Nelson Mandela)

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2016, 05:36:02 AM »
I think lots of plans have already been made for the official fan-meeting to be on the Thursday, but I can't see why those of us who are there shouldn't be able to have an unofficial fan-meeting whenever is most convenient for whoever among us plan to attends.

I plan to attend the fan-meeting on the Thursday and would like to stay in Germany until the Sunday so I can watch the world championships, or preferably take part in them (depending on my successfully persuading the UK Games Expo to change both the date and location of the UK Carc championships and then not telling anyone apart from me so that I'm the only participant). Other than this, my "plans" are fairly vague but it sounds as though Jere, jungleboy, Rosco, MrNumbers, Decar and myself could potentially be in the same place at the same time which is at least 5 and a half good reasons to have our own meet-up, hopefully with many others!

EDIT: I said pretty much the same thing as MrNumbers without seeing his response until I went to submit mine :-[
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 05:37:36 AM by danisthirty »

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2016, 06:02:14 AM »
OK, that makes sense. I don't know if I will be able to make it for the Thursday meeting but I should be able to get there by Friday evening without much difficulty.

On a related note, are there non-German versions of games for sale there? This might be my best chance to pick up the Alhambra big box without paying shipping/import prices or crazy Swiss prices.

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 91
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2016, 06:23:20 AM »
On a related note, are there non-German versions of games for sale there? This might be my best chance to pick up the Alhambra big box without paying shipping/import prices or crazy Swiss prices.

It really depends on a game. In 2015 I was desperately seeking for English version of Cluedo, but no luck - only German editions. Maybe Alhambra is another story (or even multi-language). But as far as I remember, there are no language-dependent elements in Alhambra, if we don't take into account names of the buildings (also not sure about expansions, I have only 1st one).
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 06:44:56 AM by MrNumbers »

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2016, 06:41:49 AM »
Maybe Alhambra is another story (or even multi-language). But as far as I remember, there are no language-dependent elements in Alhambra, if we don't take into account name of the buildings (also not sure about expansions, I have only 1st one).

I read on BGG that one of the expansions in the Alhambra Big Box has a language element to it, so I would like the English or Spanish version (assuming there is a Spanish version). Maybe I will look for it when I go back to Spain next month :)

Offline Hounk

• Baron
  • Merit: 15
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2016, 06:47:45 AM »
This should be the "Characters" module from expansion #2. They are only a few cards, for which I could sure provided you with a translation, but it is probably nicer to have them in a language you understand.

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2016, 07:11:30 AM »
This should be the "Characters" module from expansion #2. They are only a few cards, for which I could sure provided you with a translation, but it is probably nicer to have them in a language you understand.

Thanks Hounk, but yes, it's not about the translation as such, I would just prefer it in English or Spanish (because it's a Spanish theme, but a quick web search seems to indicate that there is no Spanish-language version).
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 07:15:37 AM by jungleboy »

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2016, 07:17:41 AM »
@jungleboy - perhaps Dan or myself could receive an order of Alhambra for you and bring it to Essen once we know what our plans are.

@MrNumbers - equally for Cluedo

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2016, 07:25:52 AM »
@jungleboy - perhaps Dan or myself could receive an order of Alhambra for you and bring it to Essen once we know what our plans are.

Thanks, that's a very kind offer and I may take you up on it. Let's reconvene closer to the event!

P.S. I love how you offered on Dan's behalf too :)

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2016, 07:28:30 AM »

Thanks, that's a very kind offer and I may take you up on it. Let's reconvene closer to the event!

P.S. I love ... Dan... :)

I fully expect to have a car full of signed tiles by October but I can always balance your games on the roof and drive slowly if necessary? O:-)

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2016, 07:30:13 AM »
I fully expect to have a car full of signed tiles by October but I can always balance your games on the roof and drive slowly if necessary? O:-)

Not too slowly please. Otherwise someone could jog alongside the car and take my games off the roof while you're busy admiring your Dan-meeples.

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2016, 07:32:23 AM »
Don't worry, they'll be cunningly camouflaged... O0

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Quick flying machines question

Started by DIN0

9 Replies
Last post June 04, 2018, 05:41:46 PM
by DIN0
xx
Quick question about Castles

Started by WGFizban

10 Replies
Last post October 22, 2020, 04:11:16 AM
by Vital Pluymers
clip
Road Madness - 2 & 3 player quick game - 118 Tiles (german kathedrals)

Started by SRBO

6 Replies
Last post June 18, 2016, 11:18:14 PM
by stalcupojoy
clip
Quick lunchtime game

Started by Rosco

3 Replies
Last post May 02, 2014, 12:06:53 AM
by danisthirty
xx
Ebay: for the quick ones