Poll

How do you primarily use gold in The Goldmines?

To try and earn bonus points for a feature I already control.
6 (75%)
To try and entice players away from a feature I want to control.
0 (0%)
I generally don't think much about where I place my gold.
0 (0%)
I use it in some other creatively strategic manner (describe below).
0 (0%)
I don't ever play with or don't own The Goldmines.
2 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Voting closed: April 17, 2015, 04:21:52 AM

Author Topic: The Goldmines – Element of the Week #31  (Read 8872 times)

Offline Whaleyland

• Great Khan
  • Global Moderator
  • Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 101
  • Toulouse: Carcassonne's insignificant neighbor.
    • View Profile
    • Derek R. Whaley, PhD | Librarian, Historian, and Writer
The Goldmines – Element of the Week #31
« on: April 10, 2015, 04:21:52 AM »
ELEMENT OF THE WEEK: THE GOLDMINES

Each week, a specific element from an expansion is chosen for deeper discussion. This is an opportunity for you, Carcassonne's biggest English-language fans, to discuss strategies and problems you have encountered through the years regarding specific expansion elements. All forms of critique – from the most joyous to the most scathing – are encouraged.

This week's element is THE GOLDMINES (Carcassonne Mini #4). One of the six (seven) expansions of the Carcassonne Minis series, the Goldmines was certainly one of the more straightforward expansions in the series. The concept is basic: when a tile with a Goldmine is drawn and placed, that player must also place two gold bars. One gold bar is placed on the goldmine while another is placed on any adjacent tile (including diagonals). When a feature on a tile is completed, that player earns any gold bars on the tile. Things get slightly more complicated if multiple players complete a feature at the same time, but the gist is that the player who completed it is guaranteed the best option. Where things get a little wonky is in end-game scoring—this is mostly a problem because the only scoring guide is printed on the rules, making this one of the few rules booklets that is required for the game (until someone memorizes it). Players score points for each gold bar, but the value of the gold bars increase based on the number of gold bars a player has. Farmers never earn gold bars.

With all that said, the expansion does two things really well: it provides bonus points for players and it rewards players for placing tiles and gold bars strategically. Where the placement of a tile had only one benefit before (usually completing a feature or blocking the completion of an opponent's feature), now it also can benefit a player by granting them bonus points—potentially a lot if they collect 10 or more gold bars. Except for the scoring, the element is also relatively simple to use, which makes it easy to teach to newer players. Discuss your relationship with The Goldmines and how you optimise your use of this strategic element.

Next Week: The Vineyards   :-* :-* :-*

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=1676.0

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 86
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
Re: The Goldmines – Element of the Week #31
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2015, 04:24:26 AM »
Sadly one of many I do not own. Falling behind on so many expansions as of late!
World record holder for a single game of Carcassonne using 10 007 tiles!

Offline Curt194

• Nobleman
  • Merit: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2015, 06:21:03 AM »
I was never originally interested in goldmines but when I got big box 4 I figured I'd give it a go and it's actually one of my favourites of the mini expansions.

Firstly all the tiles are really interesting due to the nature of the goldmine scoring they all have at least two features on, which I love as it often gives other players a chance to claim some gold and they're generally interesting tiles (unlike say the flying machines).

I have found they can sometimes be really overpowered in smaller games due to the exponential scoring, but I guess it's just making sure people realise how powerful they can actually be.

Overall I really like the goldmines and I use them quite regularly as they mix well with other expansions due to not being too complicated.

Offline obervet

• Authors
  • Count
  • Merit: 36
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2015, 08:14:39 AM »
I think the expansion is an interesting one, but for some reason I almost never use it...

My biggest concern with the Goldmines is in relation to the CAR. As whaleyland noted, there's a little bit of complexity in the rules when there are multiple players or multiple features with a simultaneous claim to gold bars. My fear is that some day someone is going to have a situation where the claims get really messy, and I'll end up having to write a page-long clarification footnote. (Kind of like the builder-bazaar combo -- that thing still gives me a headache when I read it.)

Offline franks

• Marquis
  • Merit: 26
  • I love Carcassonne
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2015, 05:10:04 PM »
This is one of my favourite mini expansions.

As mentioned in a previous thread, I really enjoy Gold for similar reasons to Traders, expanding on the resource element. This adds to the overall theme and sets one up for juicy points.

We most play mega Carc so haven't found the end games bonuses to affect the game too greatly, though they are certainly fought over points. I suppose for shorter games one could remove some of the Gold and tiles.

The most Gold I have collected in a game is 14! Has anyone ever collected all 16?

Cheers,
Franks

Wanna play Carc? Can we add just one more expansion?

Offline Christopher

• Count
  • Merit: 12
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2016, 10:35:45 AM »
Gold mines are one of my favourite minis. Exponential scoring is different and encourages competition, placement on two different tiles promotes variety and gives everyone a shot. Tiles are nice, and there are wooden pieces. Interestingly, this mini has a huge number of cloisters considering the number of tiles (four of eight), although I reckon that's because no other minis have any cloisters.
Look to the north. Keep looking. There's nothing coming from the south.

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2016, 10:37:39 AM »
Merit to you Christopher for going through all of the elements one by one and adding your thoughts! I also like goldmines :)

Offline Christopher

• Count
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2016, 10:53:32 AM »
Merit to you Christopher for going through all of the elements one by one and adding your thoughts! I also like goldmines :)

Thanks! I missed them as they were initially discussed. It's about time I read them and I figured I'd include my thoughts. It has surprised me though, there isn't as much discussion on each element as I thought there would be!

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2016, 02:13:58 PM »
I think some of the problem with this expansions, is they're almost too good for their size.  If they were bigger expansions, I suspect there would be more debate, because they would impact score more.  Having said that there's only six Inns in 'Inns and Cathedrals', that's a pretty mini expansion.

There's little to debate over the interpretations of the rules and they're all pretty clean and don't bungle up other expansions.  I enjoy playing one or two of them together.  I've only once played everything in BB4 and wish I hadn't; switching back to check each of the rules was tedious.

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2016, 11:16:01 PM »
Interestingly, this mini has a huge number of cloisters considering the number of tiles (four of eight), although I reckon that's because no other minis have any cloisters.

I noticed this too. I think it's because the cloisters work especially well with Goldmines as you can take gold from any of the 8 surrounding tiles when a cloister is complete. You're quite right about the feature themes of the mini-expansions as well though. Ferries and Fliers are all road tiles, Mage & Witch have lots of city tiles and Goldmines has a mix, with half of them featuring cloisters. I've never really played with Robbers or Messengers.

Offline Christopher

• Count
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2016, 02:36:00 AM »
Interestingly, this mini has a huge number of cloisters considering the number of tiles (four of eight), although I reckon that's because no other minis have any cloisters.

I noticed this too. I think it's because the cloisters work especially well with Goldmines as you can take gold from any of the 8 surrounding tiles when a cloister is complete. You're quite right about the feature themes of the mini-expansions as well though. Ferries and Fliers are all road tiles, Mage & Witch have lots of city tiles and Goldmines has a mix, with half of them featuring cloisters. I've never really played with Robbers or Messengers.

I hadn't thought of that, about the cloister interaction with the gold bars. And the other pairs, too. Naturally ferries are all road tiles, but I would imagine fliers are roads for ease of placement? Roads are everywhere, so it's easier to place a flier near the feature you're trying to get into if it's all roads. Mage and Witch tiles are cities because these features are typically used on cities for maximum effect.

Robbers is mostly roads although I can't imagine any significance in that. To ensure they can be played perhaps? And Messages doesn't have landscape tiles. I enjoy Messages and Robbers, but only separately. But that's a discussion for another element!

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2016, 03:51:11 AM »
I thought Robbers on roads is a thematic choice: Thieves and Robbers, the medieval highway-men.

Offline Christopher

• Count
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2016, 05:13:34 AM »
I hadn't thought of that! You're probably right.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Castles - Element of the Weak (unofficial Element of the Week)

Started by Gerry

2 Replies
Last post December 29, 2014, 01:37:18 AM
by danisthirty
xx
Question about the Goldmines

Started by FireDoor

9 Replies
Last post August 17, 2020, 06:17:39 AM
by Meepledrone
xx
Goldmines with Magic Portals?

Started by kothmann

0 Replies
Last post November 28, 2022, 08:09:52 PM
by kothmann
xx
Goldmines - can you claim gold bars on the same turn that you placed them?

Started by jungleboy

4 Replies
Last post September 18, 2015, 12:18:28 PM
by jungleboy
xx
The Catapult – Element of the Week #28

Started by Whaleyland

14 Replies
Last post March 04, 2017, 11:42:10 AM
by dirk2112