Author Topic: Joining Fields  (Read 7634 times)

Offline CarcinFool

• Vassal
  • Merit: 2
  • I enjoy a good game o' Carc!
    • View Profile
Re: Joining Fields
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2015, 12:16:54 PM »
Also respectfully, I think we are making too much of this issue. :-)

The consensus for the format of the strategy guide was generally agreed upon to be a collection of articles rather than a single (consistently-styled) uber-doc.

Some people might prefer classic Carc tiles, some might like the CII tiles, and others might use JCZ or iOS screenshots they captured of instructional/interesting situations. Some people might only have one or the other. (I chose CII tiles not because I prefer the art, but because there is more contrast between the features and I thought that'd make for clearer photos.) Also, some articles might require some screenshots using classic Carc and others using CII because of the expansions discussed (say both P&D and the Abbot)

For these reasons I'd suggest that we don't mandate the use of any particular style of visual aid. While the design is different, it really boils down to some minor visual differences. I don't think even new gamers will have trouble recognizing cities, roads, cloisters, and fields on either set.

If a writer's screenshots are unclear or incorrect we should provide feedback on those issues, but IMHO I don't think variety in the photos between or within articles qualifies as a negative inconsistency.

Maybe we could provide some best practices for taking photos in terms of what type of background works well or the best angle to take pics from? We could also recommend when it matters if you use CI or CII tiles.

Offline Carcking

• Global Moderator
  • Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 31
  • I call Red!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2015, 03:03:01 AM »
Putting aside personal taste for the art, Carc 0.2 is no more than a spin-off at this time. It would be analogous to using the New World tiles to show the examples...or Ark of the Convenant...or someone's homemade sketch. Since this is a collaboration I think it will be difficult to dictate what resources several contributors must have available to them. It may likely be the case that new members only own Carc 0.2.

I don't think it's an option to assign someone to monitor what is used for every example and replace pictures as necessary. Not practical.
I just drew the perfect tile for my MonKnighThieFarmer!

Offline Hounk

• Baron
  • Merit: 15
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2015, 04:45:14 AM »
I myself would have preferred, if they would have stick to the old artwork, as well. Although I am a new player, I obtained a BB4 last autumn, just a few weeks before HiG announced the new design and I certainly will not replace it with the new version.
Most of us here don't like the new artwork, and to put all our strategy guide photos in the old artwork sends a small message to HiG that this is what Carcassonne is to us.
I know, and I think that is not really an issue. I only addressed danis remark "Keeping things consistent (and Carc 1) is probably a good idea" and mentioned, that if this is the goal for the future, then people, who have multiple options, should probably give favor to the new artwork. Because if you want to go for consistent you will have to replace it sooner or later. But I agree with CarcinFool, that considering background and angle would be more important than that.
Putting aside personal taste for the art, Carc 0.2 is no more than a spin-off at this time.
Of course, there is a slight chance, that HiG bins the new version, but I think it is not very likely. They introduced it as revision, they thought would have been necessary after 15 years . (Which everybody is free to disagree, but I don't think they will care about that.) And somebody mentioned, that they discontinued the contract with Doris Matthäus.
I don't think it's an option to assign someone to monitor what is used for every example and replace pictures as necessary. Not practical.
I don't think, that this would be practical either. Consistence of design (if that is a goal) should only be applied where this is easy obtainable. If somebody wants to go for replacement of the pictures, he or she should go for it. But only in one direction, everybody agrees to, not that there will be started an edit war, because somebody wants the old, somebody else the new artwork.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 05:03:41 AM by Hounk, Reason: adding reply to Carcking »

Offline danisthirty

• (well, 38 actually)
  • Administrator
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 232
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2015, 05:40:05 AM »
If any of my comments regarding consistency have caused any confusion then I apologise. Although it wasn't clear, I was talking about consistency within my own article (I used a screenshot from the Android app as well as some Carc 2.0 photos) rather than consistency throughout the entire Strategy Guide.

Trying to establish any kind of "standard" that all screenshots/ photos should adhere to it unnecessary and pointless in my opinion. As long as a photo/ screenshot helps to explain the point in question then it really doesn't matter what version of artwork is used or whether it's real/ digital.

All of my future articles will use the original Carc artwork in picture examples. I don't expect everyone else to do the same, but by all means feel free to if you prefer.
Heroically snatching defeat from the jaws of victory since 2018

Offline Hounk

• Baron
  • Merit: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2015, 06:17:59 AM »
Ah, OK, sorry. And please back to the topic.

However in your case, mentioning the "awful AI opponent that deserved to have this done to it" gives a context, which makes sense to having it inconsistent. (And adds a little humor to the text, which is nice.)

Offline MrNumbers

• Global Moderator
  • Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 91
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2015, 02:42:15 AM »
Conversely, if you are concerned about your opponent joining fields you can block him. You don’t always need to create a space where no tile will fit, you can also block field-joining by forcing a 3-way road tile (preventing a loop) or placing a city edge adjacent to another city edge.

Just wanted to add, that 3-sided road will not 100% pevent fields from joining - there is RRRR tile in I&C, that still can join fields in this situation.
"I never lose. Either I win or I learn." (Nelson Mandela)

Offline CarcinFool

• Vassal
  • Merit: 2
  • I enjoy a good game o' Carc!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2015, 04:37:04 PM »
Thx MrNumbers -- I did mention that I&C tile in my last paragraph (I referred to it as the 4-way double-curve road), but I will mention that in the discussion about field blocking as well. Good suggestion!

Offline pa3k

• Vagabond
  • Merit: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2015, 07:13:20 AM »
Hey, I saw an add for this T-shirt, and it reminded me of this thread :D

http://bit.ly/1Gxk5iQ

I disagree with the slogan thou, taking fields blocks your settlers forever. How do you guys play it?

Offline danisthirty

• (well, 38 actually)
  • Administrator
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 232
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2015, 09:25:00 AM »
Hey, I saw an add for this T-shirt, and it reminded me of this thread :D

http://bit.ly/1Gxk5iQ

I disagree with the slogan thou, taking fields blocks your settlers forever. How do you guys play it?

Hi pa3k. Welcome to the forums!  :)

Simply placing a farmer and expecting everyone else to generate points for you is probably a little bit optimistic (especially if you expect them to generate a winning score for you in doing so), but I guess any detailed analysis of this as genuine tactical advice would undermine the humorous sentiment of the t-shirt!

My personal preference depends on lots of things:

- number of players
- size/ value of field as it is
- potential for growth
- number of meeples available to me after placing my farmer
- number of meeples available to my opponent
- opportunities for getting more farmers into the same farm
- expansions in use (barns especially, but also proximity to towers and/ or the dragon if either of these are in play)
- number of tiles left to be played

Good question though!  :(y)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Hills for fields

Started by MrNumbers

3 Replies
Last post September 18, 2014, 04:19:51 PM
by Carcking
question
Cities and Fields?

Started by TheDoctor_13

4 Replies
Last post January 14, 2015, 01:32:56 PM