Author Topic: German Monasteries and Halflings interaction  (Read 6935 times)

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 91
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
German Monasteries and Halflings interaction
« on: October 29, 2014, 11:11:13 PM »
Yesterday I had my regular Carcassonne game night and one good question was asked:
Since holes in the map can stop German Monasteries' score chain from growing, do holes from Halflings also can stop this chain? And continue it if both halves are filled?
We played treating halfling tile as a whole tile, but maybe Halflings are a good way to stop them from getting so many points?
And yes, I agree with most of the others, that German Monasteries score huge amount of points, especially in games this several expansions involved. In fact, nobody in all our games used German Monastery as a cloister.

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=1203.0
"I never lose. Either I win or I learn." (Nelson Mandela)

Offline Whaleyland

• Great Khan
  • Global Moderator
  • Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 101
  • Toulouse: Carcassonne's insignificant neighbor.
    • View Profile
    • Derek R. Whaley, PhD | Librarian, Historian, and Writer
Re: German Monasteries and Halflings interaction
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2014, 11:39:31 PM »
Yesterday I had my regular Carcassonne game night and one good question was asked:
Since holes in the map can stop German Monasteries' score chain from growing, do holes from Halflings also can stop this chain? And continue it if both halves are filled?
We played treating halfling tile as a whole tile, but maybe Halflings are a good way to stop them from getting so many points?
And yes, I agree with most of the others, that German Monasteries score huge amount of points, especially in games this several expansions involved. In fact, nobody in all our games used German Monastery as a cloister.
There's really no reason not to unless you draw it late in a game and there is no place to put it, which I find rather difficult to believe. There will almost always be a straight row of tiles somewhere on the board by the end of the game, and just from that nine points can probably be derived.

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2014, 02:48:38 AM »

For regular cloisters, having just one halfling on one of the adjacent tiles is enough to consider the square 'filled'. So based on this, I think the same applies for German/Dutch/Belgian monasteries.

Another interesting interaction is between the halflings and the abbey. Because the abbey can only be played if the four orthogonal squares have tiles on them, how does this work if one of the squares has only one halfling? I think that if the halfling is directly next to the abbey, then it counts. But if the halfling is on the other half of the square, then it doesn't count. See the attachments for what I think is a legal placement of the abbey (with a green tick) and an illegal placement of the abbey (with a red cross).

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2014, 02:57:16 AM »

I agree that the German/Dutch/Belgian monasteries can be too powerful (see my post a couple of weeks ago about someone claiming six abbots in one game to beat me). A house rule to limit their impact could be to allow each player to only place one abbot per game. If only there was a separate abbot meeple that we could use for this...  ???

There's really no reason not to unless you draw it late in a game and there is no place to put it, which I find rather difficult to believe.

Another reason could be if you are down to your last meeple or two and you can't afford to burn it for the rest of the game. If you can place the monastery with a monk so that you earn nine points straight away (or virtually straight away) and get your meeple back, this could be a better move than placing an abbot.

Offline SRBO

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 40
  • The Robber Dragon King
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2014, 03:05:46 AM »
this  are intressting questions indeed.
i was also wondering. with the plague. do you need to put a token on 1 or both halflings? (if you connected them?)
i guess that you need to put a token on each tile.

just like the abbey picture jungleboy posted. my guess is thath when you make a gap. the counting for the monasteries stops. and only the one connected to the monastery will be counted.

i will make a post today with certain interactions and questions.

Offline Whaleyland

• Great Khan
  • Global Moderator
  • Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 101
  • Toulouse: Carcassonne's insignificant neighbor.
    • View Profile
    • Derek R. Whaley, PhD | Librarian, Historian, and Writer
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2014, 03:18:50 AM »
You won't get any official statements about the The Plague from Hans im Glück. Since they don't create Spielbox expansions, they don't offer rules support for them. It's one of the reasons why I hope they eventually release The Plague and The Tunnel on Cundco. Everything else is on there except Corn Circles I (qualifier: equivalents of all of the Spielbox expansions). Once those two expansions are released by Cundco, then we can start pestering them for rules clarifications regarding them. Wow, I just realised that those are the only two Spielbox expansions with pentagon watermarks that don't also have HiG versions. Weird!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Halflings interaction with other expansions.

Started by SRBO

19 Replies
Last post December 04, 2014, 05:48:02 AM
by aenima
question
German Castles and The Tower interaction

Started by Thrawn

9 Replies
Last post May 17, 2017, 11:06:45 PM
by aenima
xx
German Castles and wagon interaction