Author Topic: Castle scoring with mayors  (Read 7477 times)

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 456
  • It is full of... Meeples!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Castle scoring with mayors
« Reply #60 on: January 11, 2021, 08:52:54 AM »
This is an ongoing debate in my head. There are:
- Clarifications to the basis main text, maintained as footnotes. From time to time, an paragraph is included or reworded if the rules in English omitted or mistranslated something.
- Clarifications about interactions included in C1 as footnotes, but in C2 promoted to a new section in the main text especially in major expansions.
- Long clarifications in C1 promoted to full section in the CAR, and kept the same way in WICA.
- Clarifications about ruleset changes or mistranslations affecting certain publishers, so they are not required for all languages.

So the issue is how to combine it all. We need a way to convey all the information in a way that is simple to read for the newbie (we do not scare him/her away with an information overload) but can satisfy the expert player that wants to check all the info structured in one place.

Another problem I'd like to address is assigning unique identifiers (with an addressable link) to clarifications, so you can reference them in discussions. This IDs would also allow you to cross reference the CAR v7.4, or even existing clarifications on other sources (CarcC, CarcF, BGG...) Footnotes can be easily referenced, but what about clarifications embedded into the main text? 

Pondering all this, I did some tests about moving the clarifications to the main text as aside boxes. They were okay on desktop but it was making pages very long on mobile. Most of WICA users are using a mobile so it was not very recommendable.
* Base Game - Test with additional sections: https://wikicarpedia.com/index.php/Base_Game_-_Test_Inline
* The Abbot - Test with additional sections: https://wikicarpedia.com/index.php/The_Abbot_-_Test
* The Messages - Test with additional sections: https://wikicarpedia.com/index.php/New_Messages_-_Test
I revisit the topic from time to time to see if I get new ideas coming back with fresh eyes.

On the other hand, the mobile view uses a drawer panel to display footnotes, so it is not so bad after all to keep footnotes. The only issue: images in footnotes are not preloaded until you scroll down to the very end of the page. I couldn't find a way to avoid this so far.

And then we have the final issue: printing to PDF. How to combine all this with a compact view when printing/saving a page to PDF. Combining a flexible layout for desktop and mobile along with a compact layout with precise positioning may require a massive rework translators may not be very happy about. 

So here I am at a crossroads... Trying to square the circle when not busy with any new content for WICA
« Last Edit: January 11, 2021, 08:57:45 AM by Meepledrone »
Questions about rules? Check WICA: wikicarpedia.com

Offline Bumsakalaka

• Count Chevalier
  • Merit: 31
  • Fan of Fan expansions
    • View Profile
    • www.scifi.sk
« Reply #61 on: January 12, 2021, 01:41:57 AM »
I like it.
I have two suggestions:

1. Question / Answer section:
I knows history of this, but reader which doesn't know, that you are sending questions to HiG and received answer for rules clarification can be confused.

Maybe it will be good to name is as it is.

Rules Clarification: Is bla blabla? (in darker header)
Yes bla bla bla (in ligher body)

2. Combination with other expansions:
Why not to add expansions selector to all rules pages and shows only those rules which expansions are selected?
This change will be helpfull for beginners which have for example only basic game and one/or few exapnsions, but also for experts with most of expansions.

PS: How long is set cookie timelife for expansions selection now? (PS: Good to store all previous code, git is my everyday tool, and Eclipse with local history of changes (but it stores only one max two days changes) ;-)
Check JCloisterZone Add-ons with fan expansions and also some Slovak sci/fi projects in English https://www.scifi.sk/en/

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 456
  • It is full of... Meeples!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 12, 2021, 02:01:10 AM »
I like it.
I have two suggestions:

1. Question / Answer section:
I knows history of this, but reader which doesn't know, that you are sending questions to HiG and received answer for rules clarification can be confused.

Maybe it will be good to name is as it is.

Rules Clarification: Is bla blabla? (in darker header)
Yes bla bla bla (in ligher body)

Grey FAQ boxes is another attempt to move clarifications from footnotes to the main text within their context.

2. Combination with other expansions:
Why not to add expansions selector to all rules pages and shows only those rules which expansions are selected?
This change will be helpfull for beginners which have for example only basic game and one/or few exapnsions, but also for experts with most of expansions.

Ha ha ha! That could be an overkill. It would be better to have a page with all the interactions combined and then select what you need. Just thinking out loud here.

PS: How long is set cookie timelife for expansions selection now? (PS: Good to store all previous code, git is my everyday tool, and Eclipse with local history of changes (but it stores only one max two days changes) ;-)

We are using session cookies. They don't have a fixed expiration date. If your session dies, the selection goes away with it.

I think I'll split this part of the topic and merge it with the topic about suggestions for WICA.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Scoring Cities with Mayors and Cathedrals (involves two expansions)

Started by JGreystone

6 Replies
Last post March 21, 2016, 01:44:41 PM
by Rosco
xx
To Castle Or Not To Castle?

Started by danisthirty

10 Replies
Last post November 01, 2015, 01:14:56 AM
by Hounk
xx
Castle scoring with a witch in that adjacent city question.

Started by Paul

1 Replies
Last post April 19, 2014, 09:59:09 PM
by Carcking
xx
Castle scoring question

Started by RitaC

1 Replies
Last post April 19, 2015, 07:35:54 PM
by DLloyd09
xx
Expansion 8, Scoring the Castle token