Author Topic: Today I played...  (Read 12705 times)

Offline quevy

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 105
    • View Profile
Re: Today I played...
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2015, 09:15:00 AM »
Last Friday we played Terra Mystica.

The match was interesting and fun. I really like the mechanics of this game and interactions that are created with the players.
I want to try again for sure.
A knight is sworn to valour.
His heart knows only virtue.
His blade defends the helpless.
His might upholds the weak.
His word speaks only truth.
His wrath undoes the wicked.

:white-meeple: My works.

Offline ooh_jim

• Duke
  • Merit: 18
  • No, *you* haven't updated your profile yet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2015, 02:07:43 PM »
Played my first game of BSG the other day. I've watched the series through and the other two players have seen about half of it but we were all newbies to the game. Took us maybe five hours, but with a surprising amount of adreneline the time flew by. As I'm sure you know, the game's tense, massively enjoyable and really thematic. Already itching to have another game!

Now I overheard that my lgs is running low on one of the expansions and didn't know if they'd restock. Is there a way of checking when games and expansions are heading OOP?  I'm one of those people who prefer exhausting the base game before turning to expansions*, but would I be better off snagging myself a copy whilst they're available at cover price?

*with the exception, of course, of Carcassonne where my obsessive compulsve completion urges, likely a product of my Pokemon Red influenced formative years, kicked into overdrive.

Offline quevy

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 105
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2015, 12:41:55 AM »
Last Friday we played Dead of Winter and Star Wars - Imperial Assault.

Offline Chooselife

• Viscount
  • Merit: 25
  • Just Ask
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2015, 01:21:29 AM »
Last couple of weeks I've been playing MMM!.

It's is a really good introductory game for kids and although it's aged 5+ my 3&1/2 daughter had no trouble on picking up the rules.

We few, we happy few, we band of brothers; For he today that sheds his blood with me, Shall be my brother;

Offline CKorfmann

• Authors
  • Count Chevalier
  • Merit: 39
  • Pigs are meeple too.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2015, 12:37:09 PM »
Some of my family was visiting this week and we played several games.  Splendor, Can't Stop, Bang Dice, Dynasty, Ticket to Ride, Guillotine, Cribbage, and Scum. 

Sadly, I couldn't get enough interest to play Carcassonne.  :(
Flee the fleas.

Offline lomdr

• Freeman
  • Merit: 1
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2015, 12:46:00 AM »
Yesterday I played Lords of Waterdeep and DC deckbuilding game.  I think I got a good handle to them, but I kinda gave someone 25 points in LOW as I was more focused on myself than how many warriors he had  :(n)

Offline Hounk

• Baron
  • Merit: 15
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2015, 03:23:23 AM »
Yesterday I was on a boardgame fair. Unfortunately, nobody of my gaming group had time to join. I was made aware of this event a few days ago by kettlefish, and although they all had been at this fair few years ago, they did not notice it happens this weekend and had other plans for it already, when I mentioned it last Thursday. So I had to arrange with other people on location to play some games, but still was able, to try out three games:

The Legend of Andor:
We played a 4 player game and won the introduction scenario (which is quite simple), although we made at least a couple of rule mistakes. We did not take the reward for the first 4 or 5 creatures, we slayed, and later missed to execute one of the "Legend Cards", which would have brought more monsters to the board. (Not, that that would have altered the outcome of the game. The monsters do not attack the group by themselves and are just to be prevented to reach their destination, a "castle", which they would not have from the spots they showed up till the end of the game. Plus, we would have ignored them anyway, because killing monsters trigger the end of the game faster. There might also have been, that we used some wrong event cards, meant for later legends. For better or worse, but more likely for worse, the events all seemed pretty bad for me, anyway. But one of them took no effect at all, because it would have weaken all characters equipped with a ring, and there was no way, anybody would have gotten a ring in this scenario.

Cacao:
Recommendation of kettlefish, I played a 3P game, came in second, and really liked it. The others compared it to Carcassonne, but I found it quite different, although it's as well a tile laying game. None of main game mechanisms, laying tiles in a checker board way distinguishing "neutral" and "player tiles", activating workers by closing edges, etc., really remind me of Carcassonne. Not sure, if it would have the same long replayability like Carc, but the first game was truly enjoyable.

Cornwall:
Now, that was really a Carc-Clone. I won the 3P game. It sure has it's own flavours. The mechanism, that you do not return your followers right after scoring, but have to meet and pay them in a pub, I found quite intriguing. It sure is more different to regular Carc then one of the "spin offs", but for me, although I would never turn down the opportunity to play it, I doubt, I would ever put it to my collection, which I want to have more variety in. And it is sure not great enough to replace Carc. It even shares the attribute with Carcassone, that it comes with a scoring board to small. I ended the game on the third loop (aprox. 100 points on a 40 point loop trail), while the other two also were on the second one.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Great game today

Started by Rosco

4 Replies
Last post October 26, 2014, 11:35:59 PM
by danisthirty
exclamation
Planned forum work today!

Started by gantry

7 Replies
Last post September 05, 2013, 08:29:56 PM