Author Topic: Who's tile-counting/memorising?  (Read 15544 times)

Offline What If?

• Nobleman
  • Merit: 12
  • Carcasstoned
    • View Profile
Re: Who's tile-counting/memorising?
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2017, 11:06:52 AM »
I agree pretty much with Dan and memorise to the same extent.

My only problem with (some) tile counters are the extra time they (might) use. Some players can take so long time that I completely lose my flow. This I think is a question probably already raised in a different thread, but surely there must be a way to play timed matches on JCZ? I can not imagine another reason than tile counting for this extra time used.

Otherwise I think for myself that I should improve on this.
Maybe I shouldn´t buy kathars, what would I do next?

Offline Jasonofthefifth

• Vagabond
  • Merit: 1
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2017, 01:39:52 PM »
I do it! Can't help it. ;D

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2017, 12:33:13 AM »
My only problem with (some) tile counters are the extra time they (might) use. Some players can take so long time that I completely lose my flow. This I think is a question probably already raised in a different thread, but surely there must be a way to play timed matches on JCZ? I can not imagine another reason than tile counting for this extra time used.

I know exactly what you mean. Some players are certainly more "thorough" than others when it comes to tile counting and I will often tend to lose interest in a game after having to wait 3 or 4 minutes between tiles. There is of course the timer feature in JCZ but there doesn't appear to be any useful application for this i.e. timers start with 20 minutes and if either player runs out they lose automatically or give 20 points away to their opponent. We'd have to ask farin what his intention was with this feature, but he's been mostly absent from the forums for over a year now...

I do it! Can't help it. ;D

It certainly helps give you an idea of where it's worth focusing your efforts and what's a lost cause!

Offline Adrornalin

• Duke
  • Merit: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2017, 01:05:42 AM »
I only count when it comes to the end of the game and when my next placement decides if I'm gonna win or lose. Then I quickly screen the board, but only base game and unique tiles. I would never count during the whole game and that is why I sign WhatIfs opinion that there must be a way to play timed matches. Basically it is pure fun to play Carc, but on the other hand we are all competitive guys. Right now a famous quote by Nelson Mandela comes to my mind: "I never lose. Either I win or I learn." I'm pretty sure he said that after playing a game of Carcassonne. In which he did not count.  ;D

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 91
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2017, 01:22:13 AM »
Right now a famous quote by Nelson Mandela comes to my mind: "I never lose. Either I win or I learn." I'm pretty sure he said that after playing a game of Carcassonne. In which he did not count.  ;D
:(y) :(y) :(y)
I think it will become my signature :D
"I never lose. Either I win or I learn." (Nelson Mandela)

Offline khalidqasrawi

• Duke
  • Merit: 9
  • Never deplete - always complete
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2017, 04:15:44 PM »
I've gotta say folks, I'm pretty surprised at you all.  I would never count and I'm surprised that you all do.  Keeping a timer does not stop counting it just makes it harder.  Maybe we can require the use of a webcam in league matches so that we can observe the lip movements of a silent counter or see the hurried note taking after each tile is drawn.  Counting is just not in the spirit of the game and it gives better players an unfair advantage.  Ultimately, you're only hurting yourselves you know.  Even though I have been publicly accused of counting in the past, I know for sure that I have been and always will be playing fair.  I guess it explains why so many of you hide behind pseudonyms.

I herby start the campaign today to fix our broken sport.  The campaign name will be Clean Carcassonne and I pledge to clean up this place.  We can prepare an amnesty arrangement for those of you who are willing to admit your wrong and seek forgiveness from your community.  Sign up today to have your soul cleansed and look forward to a life free from Carcassonne stress and worries.  And if you are in the first 100 people to join my movement, I will offer, for you to use at your own risk, a personalised invisible halo, with your name flashing invisibly in a gold and purple aura around your head.  In the same package, I will deliver to you an invisible strategy guide, including best meeple colour choice and how to improve your tile drawing luck to help you win in your new life.  I know you can be strong like me.  Repent today for redemption tomorrow.

C:-)

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 91
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2017, 10:16:03 PM »
I think khalidqasrawi's account was hacked :)) Can danisthirty change his password and send back to Khalid? ;)

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2017, 11:50:09 PM »
I think khalidqasrawi's account was hacked :)) Can danisthirty change his password and send back to Khalid? ;)

I can't decide if his account got hacked or if he just went mad...

I can't help but feel that there's a hidden message though: "harder webcam unfair hurting pseudonyms. Clean Carcassonne amnesty cleansed flashing me". Hmm. I'm going to suggest that he just went mad.

Offline thodekey

• Count
  • I feel Carc-complete or do I?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2017, 11:59:23 PM »
Haha Khalidqasrawi,

I suggest we measure the brain activity of every online player - if it is to excessive, then it's not more than normal that the penalty for tile-counting or overthinking is the tile is given to the opponent, a second time a meeple is taken away from that player...that will learn him/her to use their brain in a game!

On the other hand: i might start tile-counting...does that amnesty arrangement also works for other offenses?  >:D

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2017, 06:38:34 AM »
I think Khalid must have confused 'tile counting' with something else  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline khalidqasrawi

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2017, 07:03:31 AM »
I think Khalid must have confused 'tile counting' with something else  ;D ;D ;D ;D

It's you folks who are confused.

I've got 36 enlightened players signed up for Clean Carcassonne already.  You'd better be quick if you want your complimentary halo and guide!

C:-)

On the other hand: i might start tile-counting...does that amnesty arrangement also works for other offenses?  >:D

Hey thodekey, you don't need to be an offender to join Clean Carcassonne.  Well done on stepping forward.

kq

BTW, would you like to tell us what those other offences are for which you are seeking forgiveness?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 09:38:23 AM by MrNumbers, Reason: Merged 2 posts »

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2017, 07:20:52 AM »
If anyone happens to see "the plot" lying around anywhere please let khalid know as he's clearly lost it...

Offline khalidqasrawi

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2017, 07:26:18 AM »
If anyone happens to see "the plot" lying around anywhere please let khalid know as he's clearly lost it...

The price of enlightenment is that you can't always take everyone with you.  If you want to talk about it, I'm in the chatroom right now.

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2017, 07:39:31 AM »
I don't see how you cannot count the 1xRRRR tile and 1xCCCC tiles - if tile counting is cheating...everyone's cheating :p

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2017, 07:41:08 AM »
My thoughts exactly. When does basic observation become cheating? O:-)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Tile Counting Apps/ Programs

Started by danisthirty

5 Replies
Last post January 20, 2022, 03:12:07 AM
by Decar
xx
An Introduction to Tile-Counting

Started by danisthirty

10 Replies
Last post January 25, 2020, 02:11:30 PM