Author Topic: New Carcassonne App for Android  (Read 66195 times)

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
Re: New Carcassonne App for Android
« Reply #90 on: August 02, 2016, 04:04:50 PM »
I've just installed this app on my new phone and it's a lot nicer playing on a slightly larger screen with a decent resolution.

However, one thing that really bugs me about the "Quick game" option where you play against a random opponent is that they have the option to resign when it looks like things aren't going their way. This can be really disappointing when you're really getting into a game only to have your opponent get up and leave the game, but what makes it even worse is that it then calculates the scores as though the end of the game had been reached in the normal way and even ranks you based on this meaning it's still possible to lose even though the other player resigned! >:( :(n)

If somebody resigns, they have lost. It's as simple as that. There is no need to count scores, and you certainly can't pretend that they've won despite resigning just because they had a higher score when everything else was taken into account. Most of the time it's a player's scoring potential and what's likely to happen that swings a game. Sometimes a player with a winning score can still be in a losing position yet this isn't being taken into account by the app.

Suggestions:

1) Have an option to disable the Resign. Players might then just close the app and stop playing which would be even worse if you're waiting forever for them to place their tile. So perhaps...
2) Instant loss in the event that a player resigns. Don't calculate score, just go straight to the post-game breakdown and put the player who resigned in last position.

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 91
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #91 on: August 03, 2016, 12:44:43 AM »
In our national championship there is a rule: if time for one of the players runs out, he has lost the game with 0 points, meanwhile for winning player all points are calculated as it would be the end of the game. I think this option is the best for resigning.
"I never lose. Either I win or I learn." (Nelson Mandela)

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #92 on: August 03, 2016, 01:06:55 AM »
This is the best victory I've had in a long time  O0 O0

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 03, 2016, 01:32:09 AM »
I went into this game expecting some tough opposition from Decar as I know he’s a strong player. So naturally I was prepared with what I hoped would turn out to be a winning strategy; this being not to lose. But I struggled to stick to my plan and made too many mistakes early on in the game... :(

Looking back at it now, I think my main mistake was not going first. I didn’t feel like I had a lot of control over this as the starting player was determined randomly, but Decar certainly came out on top in this respect and made the most of the advantage this gave him.

All was not lost though as there was still an opportunity for me to overcome my poor start. The tiles were not in my favour here though and I knew I was in trouble when I saw that Decar had drawn one of the crfr tiles which would enable him to complete a small city for 4 points. This being exactly what he did.

So now it was my turn and my first tile of the game was a straight road (frfr). I had several options with this that could have got me 1 or 2 points with a thief or 3 points with a farmer. However, as I contemplated my options Decar really caught me off guard when he made the strategically significant decision to resign the game! This is when I really knew I was in trouble as I hadn’t yet placed a single tile and so hadn’t generated any points whatsoever! :o

So, after the final scores had been diligently calculated, it turned out that I’d lost 4 – 0. I won’t deny that this was a disappointingly low score, even by my standards, but on this occasion I was no match for Decar’s skill and foresight even though I did feel as though he had had some assistance from the tiles on this occasion.

Oh well, onwards and upwards I suppose. Congrats to Decar on what was a tense and exciting game throughout! Any chance of an Elo update? :) :(y)

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #94 on: August 03, 2016, 01:36:07 AM »
My only regret is: We didn't see what the remaining 69 tiles were and given the ~10^30 permutations of game, I'm likely to never see that exact combination again.  But some things are worth a victory  ^-^

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #95 on: August 05, 2016, 04:01:15 AM »
A reply from Exozet:

Offline Reggie777

• Villein
  • Merit: 4
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 10, 2017, 05:45:10 AM »
It has been over a year since the folks working with the Android app version of our beloved game have sent out any news. Does anyone know if they have given up on us? I believe the last news was in December 2015.   :(
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 06:58:46 AM by MrNumbers, Reason: Topics merged »

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 10, 2017, 06:00:35 AM »
What sort of news are you hoping for Reggie?

Have you seen this thread about it? There haven't been many posts on it for a while but it did at least get a response from exozet...

Offline Reggie777

• Villein
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 10, 2017, 09:12:37 AM »
I was referring to the "News" section of the app. The last item was over a year ago.

I was hoping to hear if the expansions, Crop Circles, and the Festival, were going to be added to the online person to person games. Also, would love to hear that other expansions were at least in the works. Maybe even an upgrade in the AI's. Just anything we might be able to anticipate for the app in the months ahead.

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #99 on: January 10, 2017, 09:17:03 AM »
They are pretty good at replying on twitter - but I'm not convinced they're fixing anything in the Android implementation.

Offline Reggie777

• Villein
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 10, 2017, 10:16:34 AM »
Oh well. At least we have an excellent app as it is with Traders and Builders, and Inns and Cathedrals and Rivers. I should be happy with what we got.  ;)

Offline Rich_The_Fish

• Marquis
  • Merit: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 20, 2017, 11:08:10 PM »
Looks like the new app isn't too far away. For fans of the original Android app who don't own it then this appears to be your last chance to own it. Here's a message from the game listing on Google Play store...

*** UP TO 75% OFF - LAST SALE - LAST CHANCE - SEE DETAILS BELOW ***

Dear Carcassonne fans,

unfortunately we need to announce today that our license for Carcassonne is running out soon.

This means:

- User will not be able to purchase Carcassonne after June, 30th 2017 here on Google Play. So get the game now before its too late!

- If you already bought Carcassonne you will still be able to re-download the game on Google Play (e.g. if you need to change your device or if you have to hard reset your phone)

- Expansion packs will still be purchasable for the next months

- We will keep the online multiplayer servers running so you can still play online

We want to thank all players for your loyalty & support!

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #102 on: June 21, 2017, 12:16:54 AM »
Interesting news Rich!

Offline Just a Bill

• Marquis
  • Merit: 47
  • I'm still in beta.
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 21, 2017, 12:16:36 PM »
Thanks for the heads-up! I just bought it.

I have to say, though, I'm not impressed that in my very first game it let the AI build the River in such a way that fully half of the discretionary river tiles got dumped from the game, and there will be an ugly, unfillable hole. :P (As a software developer, this would have been high on my QA list.)

« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 07:47:59 AM by Just a Bill »
My stuff: The Caverns of Carcassonne | Wheel of Fortune versions | True North (wind roses) | Icon facelifts | Converting CII to CI | Signposts & the Château | The Vault | Riverboats & the Whirlpool | trade list

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #104 on: June 21, 2017, 12:51:16 PM »
Hence why the license isn't being continued....

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Android Carcassonne: 16 March 2015 - Amazon free app of the day

Started by Joff

5 Replies
Last post March 16, 2015, 11:10:32 AM
by kettlefish
xx
Carcassonne: Amazon Free App of the Day 12/3/13 (Android)

Started by evmillan

0 Replies
Last post December 03, 2013, 03:24:19 PM
by evmillan
xx
Android Carcassone App - Error

Started by mjwalker

1 Replies
Last post December 30, 2016, 02:18:00 PM
by Decar
xx
Bug in android app, clarification?