Author Topic: Traders & Builders League  (Read 10900 times)

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
  • Merit: 127
    • View Profile
Re: Traders & Builders League
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2015, 03:11:57 AM »
What about this suggestion:

Only 6 player of each group will come to the next level.
That means 12 players form group A+B.

the next level (quater final):
example 1:
4 groups with 3 players. Each group will play 3 games - total games 12
the winner of each group will come to the next level (half final) - total player 4.

half final: 2 games with 2 players each - the two winner play then the final

Offline Hounk

• Baron
  • Merit: 15
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2015, 05:44:31 AM »
To add to this suggestion:

The first and second of each group are set in their individual group. The other players are drawn, but only players of group A to the first and second of group B vice versa. Semifinal would than be winner of group with 1st from A vs. winner of group with 2nd from B and winner of group with 1st from B vs. winner of group with 2nd from A.

An other option to the three games in quarterfinal per group would be, that there are rather 3 players per game then 2, and it require each player to win a set of 3 games (= best of seven) for the semifinal. (But I think, danisthirty is not to keen about games with more then 2 players.)

What do you think regarding my point system? Are there any plans for connecting the individual expansion leagues to one big league?

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2015, 03:36:51 PM »
It does seem that there is a large variety of ways in which a knock-out style continuation of the league could be carried out. And for what it's worth, if this is something people want to arrange unofficially then I won't suggest otherwise.

However, for the time being I think it would be more enjoyable just to keep things simple and stick to an "everyone plays everyone" type format within our groups, then a final game for each of us against our equivalent in the opposite group to determine an overall rank.

Once the dust has settled we'll have a vote for what expansion people would like to see used for the next expansion league and we'll do it all over again, but with differently arranged groups. We'll do another World Cup of Carcassonne Central in July/ August and I'm hoping we might get as many as 32 players this time so that we can do 8 groups of 4 or something interesting like that, and then a knock-out/ elimination stage.

As for the idea of an ongoing points system, I love it! I like the idea that points should be awarded to each person by subtracting their final rank from the total number of players so that 1st would win 17 points and 18th would win 0 points. Then we total it all up at the end of the year and the player with the most points (most likely someone who has taken part in all expansion leagues and has done reasonably well in each of them) will win a prize. Probably.

Those are my thoughts anyway. They might not make sense at the moment. I should have been in bed an hour or two ago...

Offline Hounk

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2015, 02:05:35 AM »
Considering, how well and quick everything moves with T&B, we might think about doing the next leagues with "everybody against everybody", without even two groups?

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2015, 02:14:18 AM »
I was starting to think the same thing last night; 33 games so far and it's been less than a week!

The difficulty is that there are some players who haven't played a single game yet, and if their availability is limited it could really drag things out while we wait for them to play 17 games rather than "just" 8. If past experience is anything to go by, 90% of matches will be played in the first 50% of the time taken to run the entire tournament.

I'd like to be able to play some Group B opponents though, just for the experience as much as anything else. I feel like I could learn a lot in the process! I'm hoping that this league will encourage more people to play online, and if that works then I'd love to be able to simply visit the chat room on a Sunday evening (or whenever), find a group of players who are at a loose end, choose some expansions and just play!

Offline Yall

• Villein
  • Merit: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2015, 06:25:40 AM »
Yesterday I had a friendly match vs Jere and MrNumbers (we grouped up in IRC chat), so yeah, that's a great idea Dan!

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2015, 07:07:13 AM »
Yesterday I had a friendly match vs Jere and MrNumbers (we grouped up in IRC chat), so yeah, that's a great idea Dan!

Yes I remember you guys deciding in the chat room and then organising what expansions you were going to play! How did it go? I think I'd rather jump in a Lions den than play against MrNumbers and Jere!

Don't forget, there's also the Weekly Online Game which will be starting up again once this tournament is complete.  :(y)

Offline Hounk

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2015, 07:40:34 AM »
Before T&B League started, I was twice fortunate to find somebody (farin and jungleboy) to play a two player JCZ game. I was not checking in chat though, but in the forum. Yeah, I sure like to play more games and will look forward to other options like your weekly games.

Offline Jéré

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 62
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2015, 02:34:10 PM »

Yes I remember you guys deciding in the chat room and then organising what expansions you were going to play! How did it go? I think I'd rather jump in a Lions den than play against MrNumbers and Jere!

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
  • Merit: 127
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2015, 02:51:25 PM »
Nice game - poor MrNumbers...

Offline Jéré

• Chatelain
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2015, 01:50:42 AM »

I think MrNumbers was taking care of the baby and was not fully focused on the game, hence the low score. ;)

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 91
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2015, 03:12:11 AM »

I think MrNumbers was taking care of the baby and was not fully focused on the game, hence the low score. ;)

True. After the game had already started, my wife gave me the daughter and told to take care of her for about half an hour. It is nearly impossible to focus on a game under given circumstances :) If it was a competition game, I would definitely reschedule it.
Besides, on the same time I was trying to help other players with hosting their competition game, so was constantly alt-tabbing  :-\
I hope I will have a chance for a come back 8)
"I never lose. Either I win or I learn." (Nelson Mandela)

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2015, 03:44:43 AM »

True. After the game had already started, my wife gave me the daughter and told to take care of her for about half an hour. It is nearly impossible to focus on a game under given circumstances :) If it was a competition game, I would definitely reschedule it.

My wife does the same thing to me sometimes. I'm thinking of making a special "Carcassonne hat" which I will wear during tournament games so that she knows not to give me the children or try to start a conversation (I'm not very social when I'm trying to concentrate on something)...

Offline Jéré

• Chatelain
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2015, 12:37:26 PM »
Dan,
Quevy is babysitting and proposed to play using iPad because it is more convenient while watching the baby.   Is it acceptable? I know that playing with JCZ is part of the rules so that's why I prefer to ask. Let us know!

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2015, 12:44:26 PM »
Yes I don't see why this shouldn't be allowed. JCloisterZone is most convenient for the majority of us because it's something we all have access to free. But if this exists as an equally suitable alternative then I say go for it...  :(y)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Carcassonne Central Expansion League #1: Traders & Builders

Started by danisthirty

45 Replies
Last post January 14, 2015, 03:03:07 AM
by danisthirty
xx
The Festival & Traders & builders

Started by aenima

2 Replies
Last post December 23, 2018, 02:35:27 PM