Author Topic: How to combine Robbers and Messages minis?  (Read 8433 times)

Offline CarcAddict

• Labourer
  • Merit: 0
    • View Profile
How to combine Robbers and Messages minis?
« on: February 26, 2013, 02:03:15 PM »
Hello I'm new here but I've been a follower of the site for some time.

After some break from Carcassonne, I want to bring some new life to the game. I strongly consider buying collection of minis, as they look like decent expansion ( at least when compared to previous expansions, minis and promos). Only think that bothers me is how to effectively combine Robbers and Messages.

After reading rules it looks like Messages and second follower on score board almost completely removes ant potential benefit of robbers. Player with robber over his head will just use second follower until he could score something very small and get rid of robber with minimal loss.

What's your opinion on the matter? Do I understand rules correctly?

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=134.0

Offline obervet

• Authors
  • Count
  • Merit: 36
    • View Profile
Re: How to combine Robbers and Messages minis?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 03:29:42 PM »
I haven't combined those two expansions myself, but you are exactly correct -- the person who scores gets to choose which counting follower to move, so what you describe is exactly what I would do. Of course, if I scored a number of points that would put me on a dark space I'd have to choose if I wanted to move my victim meeple now to draw a Message or if I would rather wait to score a smaller feature before giving the Robber his points.

I think combining the sets would be a recipe for a stagnant game if there weren't many players. More players might be a little better, because with more players you might have a Robber following both of your counting followers, so then you could choose who to give the Robber points to. On the other hand, if you have a lot of players, the scoreboard would be meeple madness.

Offline Whaleyland

• Great Khan
  • Global Moderator
  • Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 101
  • Toulouse: Carcassonne's insignificant neighbor.
    • View Profile
    • Derek R. Whaley, PhD | Librarian, Historian, and Writer
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 05:40:31 PM »
After reading rules it looks like Messages and second follower on score board almost completely removes ant potential benefit of robbers. Player with robber over his head will just use second follower until he could score something very small and get rid of robber with minimal loss.

What's your opinion on the matter? Do I understand rules correctly?

I've played the two together and this is exactly what happens. In fact, my wife decided to just ignore her second meeple entirely. It backfired slightly when she lapped the board and landed on her own space, allowing me to finally claim a reward, but the odds of that were rather small. The two expansions don't conflict, but they also don't add much when played together.

Offline CarcAddict

• Labourer
  • Merit: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2013, 08:41:25 AM »
Thanks for your replies. So as I thought they don't work so well together. I was thinking about passing on Messages (as they don't add any landscape tiles) but  I'll propably buy all of them just to get complete set of Corn Circles!

Offline SamoolSamosa

• Freeman
  • Merit: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2017, 08:06:35 AM »
Have the same problem - we're playing again tonight and we are just going to play with the messengers. We will only join them together for 2+

Offline Halfling

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 49
  • Welcome tournament 2015 winner.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2017, 12:41:14 PM »
I have a set of the 6 minis available if you want to buy them all at once. 5 have English boxes and one in German.
The Geek shall inherit the earth if we get a good die role

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
How many ways can you combine the official expansions

Started by tothederby

13 Replies
Last post January 03, 2020, 01:57:18 AM
by Decar
xx
Catapults, crop circles and robbers

Started by Curt194

2 Replies
Last post May 26, 2015, 02:23:40 PM