Author Topic: UK Carcassonne Championships 2019  (Read 11709 times)

Offline Halfling

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 49
  • Welcome tournament 2015 winner.
    • View Profile
Re: UK Carcassonne Championships 2019
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2020, 03:32:26 AM »
Perhaps a smaller carc central gathering is required with the winner crowned as the UK champion
The Geek shall inherit the earth if we get a good die role

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2020, 03:59:27 AM »
I think the most likely outcome in the event that the UKGE is cancelled is that MSO will hold the Carcassonne championships at their annual event held in London.

I can't remember when it was last year, but their event runs over 3 or 4 days and includes a lot of very competitive games such as Chess and Go as well as the likes of several Euro Games including Carcassonne. They also have a speed reading event and other disciplines with a big mental aspect to them.

I'd be surprised if anyone would see an online competition as a viable alternative, but if it were it would probably have to be held somewhere like Boardgame Arena which could facilitate something quite easily.

Offline Halfling

• Chatelain
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2020, 04:46:19 AM »
Let's get 16 of us together in a pub and have a straight knock out on a Friday evening!

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2020, 04:52:51 AM »
Violence is never the answer...

Offline Halfling

• Chatelain
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2020, 04:53:40 AM »
Fair shout, let's try Carcassonne instead

Offline Uhome

• Villein
  • Merit: 0
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2020, 07:29:46 AM »
I'd be surprised if anyone would see an online competition as a viable alternative, but if it were it would probably have to be held somewhere like Boardgame Arena which could facilitate something quite easily.

It is not surprised to see an online competition, the German championship has qualifying tournaments online for years, and this year they are hosting them in board game arena.
https://boardgamearena.com/tournament?id=40572
https://boardgamearena.com/tournament?id=40573

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2020, 07:37:19 AM »

It is not surprised to see an online competition, the German championship has qualifying tournaments online for years, and this year they are hosting them in board game arena.

OK then, it's a surprise for me given that the UK have always played in person. How do you know that the person playing is who they say they are? How do you know online players haven't got a stack of tiles in front of them to "help" with tile counting? How do you know that the online player is actually elibigle to take part rather than just anyone from anywhere who fancies their chances at what they might see as an easy ticket to the world championships? What if players aren't familiar with a particular implementation of the game? What if their internet cuts out mid game, do they lose by default? Is that fair?

Offline Uhome

• Villein
  • Merit: 0
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2020, 07:04:09 PM »

OK then, it's a surprise for me given that the UK have always played in person. How do you know that the person playing is who they say they are? How do you know online players haven't got a stack of tiles in front of them to "help" with tile counting? How do you know that the online player is actually elibigle to take part rather than just anyone from anywhere who fancies their chances at what they might see as an easy ticket to the world championships? What if players aren't familiar with a particular implementation of the game? What if their internet cuts out mid game, do they lose by default? Is that fair?

You may ask them. I think they have an answer for they are running the tournament.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
UK Carcassonne Championships 2019

Started by danisthirty

6 Replies
Last post January 25, 2019, 05:05:34 AM
by jungleboy
xx
Canadian Carcassonne Championships

Started by rfielder

13 Replies
Last post August 11, 2016, 01:12:12 AM