Poll

Which versions of the Crop Circles do you own or want to own?

I own Crop Circles I and II.
31 (39.7%)
I only own Crop Circles II but I also want Crop Circles I. (How much are you willing to pay for it? Answer below.)
27 (34.6%)
I only own Crop Circles II, and that's enough for my collection.
15 (19.2%)
I only own Crop Circles I. (Really? How strange! Explain yourself below!)
0 (0%)
I don't own either of them but I want both.
3 (3.8%)
I don't own either of them and I think one is enough.
1 (1.3%)
I don't own either of them and I'm not interested in this expansion.
1 (1.3%)
Other (please explain below).
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 78

Author Topic: Completionism Poll #2: Crop Circles  (Read 25187 times)

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
Completionism Poll #2: Crop Circles
« on: January 18, 2016, 02:24:12 AM »
The Completionism Poll is a weekly series where we ask how much of a completionist you are by breaking the game down into different expansions and elements. This week we look at the Crop Circles, also known as the Corn Circles.

For the main game of Carcassonne, there are two versions of this expansion: Crop Circles I and Crop Circles II (there is also a new Crop Circles expansion for the Winter Edition, but because this is a spin-off game, it is being left out of this poll).

Crop Circles I was originally released as a bonus expansion attached to copies of the base game in 2010. It was later available separately, but not anymore, and it is now one of the rarest expansions for Carcassonne. Crop Circles II is the 7th mini-expansion: if you buy the six 2012 minis, each of them contains one tile for Crop Circles II; therefore if you buy all six, you have the complete mini-expansion Crop Circles II. The two sets have the same rules but the tile configurations are different.

For those players who have Crop Circles II and not Crop Circles I, how much are you willing to pay for Crop Circles I? For example, would you pay a similar price as for the Tunnels, or does the fact that there is also Crop Circles II mean that you wouldn't pay a high price for Crop Circles I?

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=2353.0

Offline AlbinoAsian

• Count
  • Merit: 19
  • Living like a meeple
    • View Profile
Re: Completionism Poll #2: Crop Circles
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2016, 02:42:25 AM »
Will vote when I get to a PC. I'd love to have CC 1, especially because of the other configurations. I'll probably end up settling for a 2nd copy of CC 2 though at least to make Mega Carcs more interesting.

And to answer your question yes tunnels would be higher up for me on the order of things to make a complete collection.

Offline Christopher

• Count
  • Merit: 12
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2016, 02:52:10 AM »
I managed to get Crop Circles I without paying too high a price. I paid more for Tunnels, so in that respect Tunnels was higher up my list. If I didn't have Crop Circles I, Tunnels would have been more important as at least you have some tiles with Crop Circles II, unlike the Tunnel.

I like having both though, as I do see them as separate expansions, given the different tile configurations. I also have the Winter Crop Circles on the way!
Look to the north. Keep looking. There's nothing coming from the south.

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2016, 02:57:45 AM »
I voted that Crop Circles II is enough for me. I don't have Crop Circles I but I still consider my collection to be 'complete'. If I came across Crop Circles I at a good price I might get it, but I don't actively look for it and I wouldn't pay what I paid for the Tunnels or even the Cathars.

So after two weeks of these completionism polls I am already being inconsistent with my votes. For some reason, having all three versions of Cathars/Siege/Besiegers is important to me but having both versions of Crop Circles is not important to me.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 02:59:43 AM by jungleboy »

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 86
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2016, 03:09:33 AM »
I own several copies of Corn II. As for what I am willing to pay for Corn I, it depends on the time of the day (or night) and how drunk I am.  :-X
World record holder for a single game of Carcassonne using 10 007 tiles!

Offline Carcking

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 33
  • I call Red!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2016, 03:24:45 AM »
I own them both. I got CC 1 waayyy back sometime.

If I didn't have CC 2 (or 1 for that matter) it would bother my completionist side. I would likely consider paying up to $24 for it, which would be $4 a tile.

BTW, the compleitionist side of me is on edge every time we include one of the rarities in a game. I feel like I want to sleeve them all. :)
I just drew the perfect tile for my MonKnighThieFarmer!

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2016, 03:38:40 AM »
BTW, the compleitionist side of me is on edge every time we include one of the rarities in a game. I feel like I want to sleeve them all. :)

:(y)

Good to know, just in case I want to bring some chocolate mousse next time we play with CC1 at your place :)

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 86
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2016, 03:50:23 AM »

:(y)

Good to know, just in case I want to bring some chocolate mousse next time we play with CC1 at your place :)

The worst in my group are the chips. Greasy, salty and smelly fingers touching my tiles. Uh-uh.
  I have a strict policy not allowing food or beverages in the same room when we play. Even fruit is not allowed.

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 91
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2016, 03:59:18 AM »
I chose second option (I only own Crop Circles II but I also want Crop Circles I), but immediately regretted, as I remembered that I own Crop Circles I, though Russian edition (from Russian compilation of expansions, with "K" on the back).
But if the price will be appropriate (below 10 EUR), I am ready to own it as English version :D
"I never lose. Either I win or I learn." (Nelson Mandela)

Offline Guy

• Count
  • Merit: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2016, 05:49:03 AM »
I have both in my collection but I wouldn't have paid as much for it as I did unless the money was going to charity.  I got my copy in the Jack Vasel memorial auction on BGG 2014 and paid $52 (approx. £36) for it which is £9 per tile - far higher than I am happy to pay for an expansion usually but as it was for charity I was happy to get a rare expansion and support people who are part of the gaming community who have suffered personal hardship.

I think that they add a great dynamic to the game and having more of them just means they make more of an impact and, in my experience, help to balance out who gets to choose the action over the duration of the game.
I play orange

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2016, 06:00:14 AM »
I own both, and I also own an unopened base-game box with a sticker on it that says it includes Corn Circles (but I'm not sure what the difference is between this and the later release that came through Cundco). Plus the Russian version. Plus the W/E Crop Circles of course.

2 or 3 years ago I remember seeing copies of Corn Circles 2 selling on eBay which seemed odd because the 6 tiles were in a frame rather than individual tiles out of the 6 mini expansions. I was never sure whether this was just somebody trying to sell their own home-made version of the expansion, but I've half a memory I spotted the same thing on Cundco which confirmed that it was genuine. Never bought it though. :(

Although this (CC1) seems to be the most difficult classic Carc expansion to get hold of at the moment, I've never really been able to use it to any great effect in any of the games I've played in which it's been included. This said, I've always found Tunnels kind of boring too, despite the high prices it commands.

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2016, 08:11:30 AM »
2 or 3 years ago I remember seeing copies of Corn Circles 2 selling on eBay which seemed odd because the 6 tiles were in a frame rather than individual tiles out of the 6 mini expansions. I was never sure whether this was just somebody trying to sell their own home-made version of the expansion, but I've half a memory I spotted the same thing on Cundco which confirmed that it was genuine. Never bought it though. :(

That indeed sounds odd at first but it does make sense when you think about it. The minis came in small tuckboxes, not in punchable sheets. But it makes perfect sense that the CCII tiles were originally printed in sheets of six an then punched at added to each specific mini tuck box. But let me tell you: if you think that you need to own an unpunched sheet of CCII tiles in addition to the ones that came with the minis, then you really have completionism issues :)

Although this (CC1) seems to be the most difficult classic Carc expansion to get hold of at the moment, I've never really been able to use it to any great effect in any of the games I've played in which it's been included. This said, I've always found Tunnels kind of boring too, despite the high prices it commands.

Whether or not CC1 or the Tunnels or anything else is actually a good expansion for game-play or even for artistic purposes is a topic for another thread, but I think it does bring up an interesting point. For many of us, we collect everything Carcassonne (or almost everything) not necessarily to play with, but just for the act of collecting itself - just like other people might collect stamps or coins or baseball cards. The difference here is that we can actually do something with what we're collecting (i.e. play it), rather than just look at it or swap it. But in the end, it's still collecting. So to put it another way: I was also never really interested in Tunnels as part of Carcassonne: The Game, but eventually I was interested in it for Carcassonne: The Collection. So I paid quite a bit for it (about €45, if I remember correctly) purely for its 'collecting value' and not its game value. But I've managed to convince myself that CCI has no collecting value or game value, and therefore I'm not really seeking it.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 09:29:09 AM by jungleboy »

Offline DIN0

• Viscount
  • Merit: 37
  • Carcassonne is only complete with 11th expansion:)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2016, 10:22:45 AM »
I am willing to pay what will be neccesary for Crop circles I

Offline Hounk

• Baron
  • Merit: 15
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2016, 10:39:07 AM »
I own only II (+ the Crop Circle Halfling), and won't bother getting more for several reasons:

1) I'm not very much in the "theme" of this regarding Carcassonne. The mechanism is quite appealing, I joined a few games on JCZ with it and sure will play it once in a wile on the table, but I don't think it will hit the table that often.
2) Whaleyland once pointed out, that he played with both expansions in one game, and found them overpowered with 12 tiles.
3) Plus, I'm not a completionist. I don't bother getting expansions, I'm not remotely interesting in playing like Catapult, Wheel of Time or Windroses. (I never turned down a game on JCZ, if somebody wanted to play with Windroses, but I see no point in this expansion.)
4) The current price would probably turn me down on an expansion, I really would like to have. It definitely turns me down on Tunnels.
5) I consider the tile with 3 roads, looking like a branching road without roundabout, "broken" in design. Glad, they replaced it in CCII.

Offline Halfling

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 49
  • Welcome tournament 2015 winner.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2016, 10:56:27 AM »
I have CC II.  I need CC I.  Depends what bid is required on Ebay with 20 seconds to go.
The Geek shall inherit the earth if we get a good die role

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
exclamation
Completionism Poll #10 - Favouritism Poll #3 : Die Schule

Started by Decar

33 Replies
Last post September 21, 2023, 06:39:35 AM
by Meles
clip
Road issue in Crop Circles I

Started by Ailurus

14 Replies
Last post February 01, 2016, 05:52:34 AM