Author Topic: 2017 World Cup - Knock-Out Stage  (Read 39256 times)

Offline zone2

• Villein
  • Merit: 1
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
Re: 2017 World Cup - Knock-Out Stage
« Reply #45 on: March 10, 2018, 03:05:08 PM »
Zone2  :blue-meeple: vs Merlin_89   :yellow-meeple:
305 : 240

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 10, 2018, 05:41:31 PM »
Congratulations to MrNumbers and zone2. Commiserations to glh510 and Merlin_89...

So now two previous World Cup winners have been knocked out. And we are guaranteed to have a returning (and previously unsuccessful) finalist in either Jere or MrNumbers!

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 91
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #47 on: March 11, 2018, 12:47:25 AM »
Final x-score for QF round and fixtures for SF round.
In 3 of 4 games group stage runners-up won their games (Jéré is the only exception).
That means that B group is knocked-out completely, but C group has both players in Top-4.

And we are guaranteed to have a returning (and previously unsuccessful) finalist in either Jere or MrNumbers!
...and one non-guaranteed returning finalist in other pair :P

P.S. I added a write-up for my game with GLH510.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 01:15:52 AM by MrNumbers »
"I never lose. Either I win or I learn." (Nelson Mandela)

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 17, 2018, 02:40:31 PM »
I've booked my place in the final! 8)

:blue-meeple: danisthirty 239 : 171 Zone2 :green-meeple:

There was a lot going on with this game. Zone2 drew a couple of GMs early on and claimed them as abbots meaning he was two meeple short for most of the game. They were worth it though as they won him BIG points at the end! He lost another two meeples for about half of the game waiting for a cccf to steal a city of mine. I'd given up long before he eventually drew the tile he needed and withdrew my meeple using a Festival tile so that I could use him elsewhere but it wasn't until the last few tiles of the game that he eventually completed the city!

As always I seemed to have a lot of luck with the gold and scored the vast majority of it from roads. Zone2 wasn't quite so lucky in this respect and struggled to keep up, taking some risks which didn't always pay off for him.

The game would have been VERY different (and perhaps much higher scoring) if Towers hadn't been included. There was an early farm battle for the main farm which ended up in my favour after a daring but ultimately successful farmer kidnap. However, I couldn't then draw the required ffrr to join my lone farmer to the main farm for an additional 15 points. Zone2 used his tower pieces much more carefully in this game than when we last played in the Tower league and kept a couple back for the final few tiles whereas I ran out a bit earlier. I drew two GM tiles during the game and claimed both with abbots, but both were kidnapped, the second (far more valuable) one being taken with the last tile of the game!

Still, a fun game and a shame one of us had to lose. Thanks for the game Zone2! :(y) I'd better start thinking about the final now! :-\

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 20, 2018, 08:19:44 AM »
@MrNumbers @Jéré: Do you have a date in mind for your SF yet? O:-)

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #50 on: March 20, 2018, 08:25:51 AM »
We are discussing the date at the moment :D

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 20, 2018, 08:28:03 AM »

The date at the moment is the 20th March.

Does that help? ;)

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #52 on: March 20, 2018, 08:59:51 AM »

Does that help? ;)
OK, you caught me on incorrect usage of articles. Be proud of it :P

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 20, 2018, 05:58:56 PM »
Just in case anyone is interested, a polished video of my semi-final match with zone2 can be found here:

:(y)

Offline Jéré

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 62
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 21, 2018, 01:54:28 AM »

Does that help? ;)
OK, you caught me on incorrect usage of articles. Be proud of it :P

In the end we found out it was a fruit... and should be ripe this Friday.  :D

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #55 on: March 23, 2018, 03:10:50 PM »
Thrilling semi-final game with Jéré.
MrNumbers vs. Jéré
203:178

The start was terrible for me: Jéré drew 5 tower tiles straight, only 6th tile came to me, as a result my 4 meeples were captured early. As a first tile of the game Jéré got cathedral, where he put his big meeple. All my attempts to connect failed - the reason described above. So soon that city just waited for cccf tile to be complete in Jéré's favor, moreover he put Mage into that city, so there were potentially 40 points! My opponent received such tile once (splitter from Festival), but didn't want to give me points too. Then some magic happened: I received one Mage tile - put away Mage, received second Mage tile - put Witch into that city, finally I received cccf splitter and split that city into 3 separated cities, two of them scored by me (10 points) and original city - by Jéré (11 points).
Then some mistakes by Jéré began. Firstly, as he already mentioned, he allowed me to return 2 of my meeples back by placing his meeples near tower tiles. Then he didn't notice that I started to put tower pieces to capture his valuable farmer (just two tiles above my 3-points farmer). As it was almost impossible to place new farmer without being captured, I have put my two farmers nearby and hoping for fffr (2 of them were in the bag yet). It was "all-in". Soon Jéré received such tile, but me also, so 27-points farm was won. Jéré started to do strange things, like capping the tower (south) and placing big meeple on the farm, not realizing that both fffr tile were gone already. Here I must notice another phenomenal luck by Jéré - he drew 9 of 10 festival tiles, so he always were able to retrieve his stuck meeples, while I struggled with meeple shortage (I received my only festival tile early in the game). I even captured my own meeples twice to get back some meeples. Also Jéré drew almost all gold tiles (you can notice our gold points balance).
In the final part of the game we fought for 21-point farm. Jéré put two tower tiles near my two meeples, but didn't want to capture them right away, as it would give me the opportunity to return them by paying ransom. I had only one meeple left by the moment and I decide to put the tower piece by myself and hoping Jéré wouldn't notice that move, and cap it in the next move. I actually succeeded in this, but I have no meeples left. Then Jéré made one more mistake: he put tower piece and captured my normal meeple-farmer (on cfcf splitter Mage tile). That gave me so needed meeple (I had one of Jéré's meeples captured) and I immediately capped that tower, in order not to allow to capture my big meeple. If Jéré wouldn't capture my farmer with his first tower piece, he would capture my big meeple with his next move and would at least equalize the farm, as I couldn't cap the tower (no meeples).
With his last attempt to save the game Jéré put his big meeple near my 18-points farm. As we found out later, amongst 4 tiles, which left in the bag, 3 was rrff curves, needed by Jéré, and one - ffff road splitter (with gold). This time luck was on my side and I drew ffff tile and prevented the hijack. One more attempt followed, this time with normal meeple, and another prevention.
So, I can't summarize it better than Jéré already did: his luck was compensated by his mistakes.
Good luck with bronze game!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 02:28:01 PM by MrNumbers, Reason: Write-up added »

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 23, 2018, 03:27:54 PM »
Congratulations MrNumbers. So the final will be between the 2014 runner-up and the 2015 runner-up!

Commiserations Jere. I'm sure it would have been a very tough fight for both players.

Offline Jéré

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 62
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 23, 2018, 03:28:13 PM »
Congrats MrNumbers!

The game can be summarized this way: I think the luck was on my side but I played so terribly that it compensated... I made way too many mistakes, like placing a meeple right next to a tower (2 times)... Am I blind??  8) Another stupid mistake was forgetting that monasteries from base game were replaced by the german monasteries...  :o  Plus I think MrNumbers is a far superior player with the Tower expansion and played very well, so well and me so bad that in the end I would have been ashamed to win... It's a well deserved victory.  :(y)

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #58 on: March 24, 2018, 02:32:01 PM »
Today I was busy with big event - my mother-in-law and father-in-law had 50th wedding anniversary :D
Now I had time and added the write-up of our match with Jéré.

So, now it's time to finish the World Cup 2017 already!
Final match:
MrNumbers vs. danisthirty

3rd place match:
Jéré vs. zone2

In both matches final setup of expansions must be used. Let's do it! C:-)

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 26, 2018, 03:12:36 AM »
So, now it's time to finish the World Cup 2017 already!
Final match:
MrNumbers vs. danisthirty

Is this Saturday too soon for you? 8)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
clip
2016 World Cup - Knock-Out Stage

Started by MrNumbers

63 Replies
Last post February 01, 2017, 01:59:24 AM
by Jéré
xx
2015 World Cup of Carcassonne Central - Knock-Out Stage

Started by danisthirty

160 Replies
Last post February 08, 2017, 02:46:16 PM