Author Topic: The Count ... the farm ... and footnote 91.  (Read 3375 times)

Offline Allan in Brisbane

• Villein
  • Merit: 0
  • Psalm 139:14
    • View Profile
The Count ... the farm ... and footnote 91.
« on: January 05, 2015, 01:30:37 PM »
We played THE COUNT last night for the first time (With I&C and T&B). It took us 30 minutes to work out what we were supposed to do (I see from other posts this is an experience of some).
Over the course of the game we started to realise the value of the COUNT and some better strategies.
The biggest confusion was deploying from the market to the farm, which we realised happened at the end of the game (or could happen during the game if we were using barns)

In the process of all this we read footnote 91 in CAR 7.3:46. 

91  Followers in Carcassonne can be redeployed to empty roads, cities, cloisters, or farms. When an empty road, city, or cloister is completed, followers in the appropriate quarter of the city [followers in the castle can only be deployed to cities, and so on] may be redeployed and then scored immediately. In general, unoccupied cities, roads, cloisters do not earn very many points, and so this option in mostly useful for returning followers from Carcassonne to a player's supply.

The footnote raised these questions:-
1) We assumed that "Followers in Carcassonne can be redeployed to empty roads, cities, cloisters, or farms" meant - only when these features are finished (or with the farm, at the end of the game).
2) Does this mean the follower can be redepolyed to an empty city/road/cloister that has previously been scored in an earlier turn?
3) We didn't understand the comment that "unoccupied cities, roads, cloisters do not earn very many points" - does this mean they are scored as if the game had finished?
I tried to find the answers in other posts but it doesn't seem to have come up.

Maybe I am missing something fundamental to the expansion.

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=1411.0

Offline SRBO

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 40
  • The Robber Dragon King
    • View Profile
Re: The Count ... the farm ... and footnote 91.
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2015, 01:44:39 PM »
We played THE COUNT last night for the first time (With I&C and T&B). It took us 30 minutes to work out what we were supposed to do (I see from other posts this is an experience of some).
Over the course of the game we started to realise the value of the COUNT and some better strategies.
The biggest confusion was deploying from the market to the farm, which we realised happened at the end of the game (or could happen during the game if we were using barns)

In the process of all this we read footnote 91 in CAR 7.3:46. 

91  Followers in Carcassonne can be redeployed to empty roads, cities, cloisters, or farms. When an empty road, city, or cloister is completed, followers in the appropriate quarter of the city [followers in the castle can only be deployed to cities, and so on] may be redeployed and then scored immediately. In general, unoccupied cities, roads, cloisters do not earn very many points, and so this option in mostly useful for returning followers from Carcassonne to a player's supply.

The footnote raised these questions:-
1) We assumed that "Followers in Carcassonne can be redeployed to empty roads, cities, cloisters, or farms" meant - only when these features are finished (or with the farm, at the end of the game).
2) Does this mean the follower can be redepolyed to an empty city/road/cloister that has previously been scored in an earlier turn?
3) We didn't understand the comment that "unoccupied cities, roads, cloisters do not earn very many points" - does this mean they are scored as if the game had finished?
I tried to find the answers in other posts but it doesn't seem to have come up.

Maybe I am missing something fundamental to the expansion.

1. yes the ones that JUST got finished
2. nope
3. most of the time valuable cities and roads are occupied.. so when you use them on unoccupied cities they are most of the time small. Unless u used the princess, or the towers, or any other removable element. like the dragon, or the plaque, corn circles, so on and on

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 91
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2015, 05:07:45 AM »
The whole footnote is explaining "If a feature is completed" part. So the main thing that can be confusing - scoring of features occurs even if there are no followers in that feature. Simply in this case nobody receives the points. Exactly these points you can "steal" with followers from City of Carcassonne.
"I never lose. Either I win or I learn." (Nelson Mandela)

Offline Allan in Brisbane

• Villein
  • Merit: 0
  • Psalm 139:14
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2015, 06:13:59 PM »
The whole footnote is explaining "If a feature is completed" part. So the main thing that can be confusing - scoring of features occurs even if there are no followers in that feature. Simply in this case nobody receives the points. Exactly these points you can "steal" with followers from City of Carcassonne.

OK. I see now where we are going wrong.
CAR 7.3:44 says "When a player places a tile that causes AT LEAST ONE PLAYER TO SCORE POINTS (then rest of explanation)".
We were then using that same principle (namely finishing features where a meeple is located and a score is going to take place) and applying it to the "Deployment from the City of Carcassonne" phase.
Looking at it now it doesn't make sense - and the rules are quite clear. Newbie mistake.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Spiel 2016: To Farm Or Not To Farm (that is the question)

Started by DIN0

13 Replies
Last post October 29, 2020, 01:15:10 PM
by Meepledrone
xx
The Count of Carcassonne - Count Robber and King Expansion 6 deployment

Started by JoeSesquipedalian

4 Replies
Last post September 07, 2015, 04:49:49 AM
by JoeSesquipedalian
xx
WTB: Old artwork Carcassonne Hills and Sheep and/or Count, King and Robber