Poll

Which expansion would you like to play in the next "expansion league" competition? (select 1)

Princess & Dragon
10 (52.6%)
The Tower
2 (10.5%)
Abbey & Mayor
7 (36.8%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Voting closed: May 05, 2015, 08:33:03 AM

Author Topic: The Next Expansion League (Again)  (Read 12503 times)

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 91
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
Re: The Next Expansion League (Again)
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2015, 04:53:20 AM »
Before I vote, one question - with P&D, will the rule be that the princess MUST remove a knight?  Or will the removal be optional?

Official HiG rule - the Princess MAY remove a knight, so I suppose we will follow this rule the way it is by HiG rules.

I would never the less suggest, that we might include "River II" this time, if P&D will be picked. Would be an exception to the general approach of only including one expansion at a time, but I think that would make sense for the volcano tile.

My personal opinion is NOT to include River II, but after all major expansions Leagues will be played, we can play co called 6th expansion League, which includes River II, Cult, The Count of Carcassonne and King & Robber.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 05:37:16 AM by MrNumbers »
"I never lose. Either I win or I learn." (Nelson Mandela)

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2015, 05:11:00 AM »
My personal opinion is NOT to include River II, but after all major expansions Leagues will be played, we can play co called 6th expansion League, which includes River II, Cult, City of Carcassonne and King & Robber.

Except that JCZ does not currently completely support the Count - it only includes the tiles but not the Count mechanism - so it wouldn't be exactly like playing the 6th expansion in real life. I'm not sure if farin is working on this or not.

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 91
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2015, 05:37:02 AM »
My personal opinion is NOT to include River II, but after all major expansions Leagues will be played, we can play co called 6th expansion League, which includes River II, Cult, The Count of Carcassonne and King & Robber.

Except that JCZ does not currently completely support the Count - it only includes the tiles but not the Count mechanism - so it wouldn't be exactly like playing the 6th expansion in real life. I'm not sure if farin is working on this or not.

Yes, I am aware of that "tiles only" mechanism of current implementation of The Count, but I hope that Farin, who is playing with us in all leagues, will implement it someday ::)

Offline rfielder

• Marquis
  • Merit: 10
  • Carcassonne Beginner
    • View Profile
    • Cool Country Nights
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2015, 08:36:43 AM »
I would never the less suggest, that we might include "River II" this time, if P&D will be picked. Would be an exception to the general approach of only including one expansion at a time, but I think that would make sense for the volcano tile. What do you think, Dan?
I would like to second this.

Might we consider using River, or River II, or both for all future competitions?
Robert Fielder
Brampton, Ontario, Canada  EST

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2015, 08:55:55 AM »
I would never the less suggest, that we might include "River II" this time, if P&D will be picked. Would be an exception to the general approach of only including one expansion at a time, but I think that would make sense for the volcano tile. What do you think, Dan?
I would like to second this.

Might we consider using River, or River II, or both for all future competitions?

Although there are definitely certain combinations of expansions that work well together, the idea behind this series of leagues was to focus on one expansion at a time and really get to know it inside out. I would prefer it if we could stick to this. I don’t have anything against using River 1 and/ or River 2 in conjunction with any other expansions but I’m just as keen on The Phantom and King & Robber Baron and I’m sure others will have their own preferences too.

I think it’s better to keep things simple for the time being for the sake of consistency within the series, but certainly to consider what expansions we want to be included when it comes round to the World Cup of Carcassonne Central...

Offline rfielder

• Marquis
  • Merit: 10
  • Carcassonne Beginner
    • View Profile
    • Cool Country Nights
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2015, 10:09:30 AM »
Although there are definitely certain combinations of expansions that work well together, the idea behind this series of leagues was to focus on one expansion at a time and really get to know it inside out. I would prefer it if we could stick to this.
Dan - where you and I part company is in considering the Rivers as expansions.  I see them as a prelude to the game.

However, you are running the show, and I can understand your point.  Your wish for consistency is a good idea, IMHO, and I will continue to support you.

Given that the general concensus is that the Princess's ability to kick off a knight will remain optional, I have voted for the P&D.

A suggestion - for the next two competitions after this, use the second and third place votes from this discussion.  That way, people know what is coming, and there is less preparation/opinion gathering/discussion time needed.

Offline Carcking

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 33
  • I call Red!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2015, 10:49:34 AM »
...That way, people know what is coming, and there is less preparation/opinion gathering/discussion time needed.

Awe, that's no fun...we are compelled to "preparation/opinion gathering/discussion". That's what we're about!    O0
I just drew the perfect tile for my MonKnighThieFarmer!

Offline Hounk

• Baron
  • Merit: 15
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2015, 02:40:17 AM »
Although there are definitely certain combinations of expansions that work well together, the idea behind this series of leagues was to focus on one expansion at a time and really get to know it inside out.
I was not in general suggesting mixing expansions, I was just in this case considering the volcano tile as a kind of "fix" to the problem, which might in some games be generated, if the first of only six volcano tiles is drawn rather late in the game. But like rfielder stated, you are running the show, and it seems, other prefere it otherway as well, so I'm perfectly fine without, too.

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2015, 03:39:03 AM »
I would be OK with / in favour of including the River II. In real life and in the weekly games, whenever someone suggests P&D, the next thing said is: "Let's add the River II then." The River II doesn't add any extra strategic elements to the game, so it wouldn't take away from the P&D focus of the tournament.

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2015, 02:28:26 AM »
I would be OK with / in favour of including the River II. In real life and in the weekly games, whenever someone suggests P&D, the next thing said is: "Let's add the River II then." The River II doesn't add any extra strategic elements to the game, so it wouldn't take away from the P&D focus of the tournament.

I certainly agree that P & D goes well with River 2 (in that it includes a volcano), but I don't see that this is sufficient reason to include it in a series of tournaments where the primary focus is intended to be just one expansion at a time. For one thing, P & D is 30 extra tiles by itself which is going to make these quite long games as it is, especially for those of us who like to take their time. But even though it's only an extra 12 tiles with no additional strategic elements, one of the things that can make games including either river so different is that they really open out the playing area giving you many more placement choices from the start. I guess it's kind of like starting a base game with the 12-tile City of Carcassonne (but not playing The Count) rather than the standard starting tile.

So with this in mind (and because I'm an IT guy who hates changing more than one variable at a time!) I'd really prefer it if we could stick to the major expansions for the time being, for the sake of consistency, and think about how best to include some of the smaller expansions in future tournaments.

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
  • Merit: 127
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2015, 12:55:08 PM »
The winner is "Princess & the Dragon" - very nice.  >:D

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
  • Merit: 127
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2015, 02:23:28 PM »
Before we start a new league with the "Princess & the Dragon" - please organize some friendly test games for training - expecially for new members or for people who are new in the online game from JCloisterZone.

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2015, 01:30:56 AM »
Thanks for your votes everyone; Princess and Dragon it is.  :)

I’m going to leave the sign-up sheet live for another couple of days to ensure that everyone has the opportunity to get their name down and then hopefully get the tournament started at some point during the weekend.

In the meantime, it is definitely worth getting a bit of practise in by playing this expansion through JCZ so that you can get used to the user interface and familiarise yourself with the rules if you’re a bit rusty in this area! There are normally a few people hanging around in the CarcC chat room (http://sydby.com/carcassonne/irc/index.html) most evenings if you want to play against a real person, but there’s always the option to take on an AI opponent if not. So please use this time wisely and make sure you’re on the top of your game once the tournament starts - no excuses will be accepted...  C:-)

Have fun!  :(y)

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2015, 09:12:51 AM »
aye!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
What make you to buy expansions over and over again

Started by danisthirty

6 Replies
Last post October 09, 2014, 11:56:02 AM
by Guesclin
xx
someone selling fan expansions again

Started by Rosco

10 Replies
Last post November 07, 2014, 04:56:09 AM
by eddebaby
xx
Will the corn circles I (2010) ever get released again?

Started by pepito

3 Replies
Last post December 10, 2014, 05:13:44 AM
by Safari
xx
Let the Madness Commence (again)

Started by danisthirty

12 Replies
Last post October 26, 2018, 08:57:53 AM
by Sinscerly
xx
Cundco wooden meeples full set again??