Author Topic: Bridges, Castles & Bazaars League: Bridges  (Read 9525 times)

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 91
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
Bridges, Castles & Bazaars League: Bridges
« on: February 20, 2017, 11:13:56 AM »
Bridges:
  • Merlin_89
  • Jéré
  • danisthirty
  • Rosco
  • DeatzoSeol

If you are new to the competitions, please, carefully read the following tournament notes/guidance/rules before continuing.
If you already participated in some Carcassonne Central competitions before, the following rules are pretty much the same as always, except some changes in point 4.

1. Players have already been divided into three different groups (Bridges, Castles, Bazaars). Each player will play one game of Carcassonne against every other player in their group individually via a series of 2-player/ head-to-head games. The winner of each game will be awarded two league points whereas the loser gets nothing. If the game is tied, both players receive one league point each.

2. Players in each group will be ranked according to the number of league points they have scored. PD (Points Differential) will be used as an initial tie-breaker if there is no clear winner based on league points alone, and total combined score (from all games) will be used as a second tie-breaker if necessary. Your PD is calculated by taking the total number of points scored by you and subtracting the total number of points scored against you (combined across all games).

3. Games will be played online through the latest stable version of JCloisterZone (currently 3.4.2). Please ensure you have downloaded this and are familiar with its controls and features before the competition begins. It is also recommended that you have played at least one practice game against a live opponent in order to identify and resolve any technical problems before your first game.

4. JCloisterZone includes a number of artificial aids such as farm hints, projected scores and even tile-counting assistance. We all are busy people, and time is valuable for all of us. Many players spend decent amount of time anyway to count points for farms and uncompleted features, so with the purpose of speeding up our games, I allow to use "projected scores" feature. Other aids are still prohibited. I can't stop you from using them anyway, and won't know if you do, but I do urge you to play as fair as possible. I know it's a competition and we all want to win, but let's keep it fair, fun and friendly as far as possible...

5. Each game will include the basic tiles plus the Bridges, Castles & Bazaars expansion only (no other expansions please). This is 84 tiles including the start tile, so 83 tiles will be shuffled and randomly drawn for you and your opponent in turn. The starting player should be chosen at random through JCZ by selecting the “Randomize seating order” checkbox on the pre-game screen.

6. If any unexpected behaviour occurs during your game (for example if you think you have discovered a bug within JCloisterZone which may have altered the course of the game for you), please consult with your opponent and the CAR/ anyone else who happens to be in the chat room at the time to determine whether it appears to be a genuine bug. If it is, please save your game and post details of the bug along with anything else relating to how it came about on the forums. If however, you and your opponent are both happy to continue with your game despite the bug then feel free to do so, but don’t forget to mention the bug afterwards no matter how minor it may have seemed!

7. Please post a screenshot of your game, including final scores and score breakdown, back to your group thread as soon as your game is complete. It's always interesting to hear what happened during the game too, so please feel free to post any thoughts/ comments at the same time if you wish. If you're not sure how to capture/ post screenshots, please ask on the forums and either myself or someone else will explain how to do this (we're a friendly bunch!)

8. It is the players responsibility to liaise with their fellow group-members in order to find a mutually convenient time to play their game. This is expected to be done predominantly through Private Messages but feel free to use your group thread (here) too if this is easier. Please do keep any appointments you make, or at least give your opponent as much notice as possible if something occurs which prevents you from playing at the agreed time (more on the "Unwritten Rules" is available here).

9. Each of the 3 initial groups contains 5 players so the first stage of the competition will end when every player (all 15 of us) has played 4 games. At this point, the pool will split into 5 groups of 3 depending on finishing position in the initial groups. So, the top-ranked players from groups will form group F1, and those who came second in each group will form group F2. The same will be true for groups F3 to F5.

10. Play in groups F1 to F5 will constitute the second stage of the competition which will run in the same way as the first except with more groups and fewer people per group. League points, PD and total score will be reset at this point (but remembered for overall stats) so that no single player in any group has any kind of advantage. Finishing positions in groups at the second stage will determine overall rank: 1st=F1-1, 2nd=F1-2, 3rd=F1-3, 4th=F2-1, 5th=F2-2, ..., 12th=F4-4, 13th=F5-1, 14th=F5-2, 15th=F5-3.

Finally, you may find the following links helpful: Carcassonne Central IRC Chat and JCloisterZone.

Good luck everyone! ;) :(y)

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=3184.0
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 03:45:25 PM by danisthirty, Reason: Changed some Es to Fs »
"I never lose. Either I win or I learn." (Nelson Mandela)

Offline DeatzoSeol

• Labourer
  • Merit: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Bridges, Castles & Bazaars League: Bridges
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2017, 08:44:35 AM »
So, when do we start?

I'm free, usually in the evening, starting from 19:00 UTC, otherwise in the weekend, all day

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2017, 02:06:38 PM »
So, when do we start?

I'm free, usually in the evening, starting from 19:00 UTC, otherwise in the weekend, all day

Hi DeatzoSeol - I was trying to get your attention in the JCZ lobby just now but it looked like maybe you were playing with someone else. I didn't recognise any of the other names. Perhaps another time...

Offline DeatzoSeol

• Labourer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2017, 03:28:23 PM »
Weird, I didn't notice anything, probably didn't even realise you were online and in my game group :D
Anyway, I'll be online tomorrow evening, so let's hope it works out then ;)

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2017, 03:43:53 PM »
Weird, I didn't notice anything, probably didn't even realise you were online and in my game group :D
Anyway, I'll be online tomorrow evening, so let's hope it works out then ;)

OK cool. Perhaps if we can meet in the online chat room - http://sydby.com/carcassonne/irc/index.html - it would make life easier? Then we don't have to play on the online server either and can use my laptop instead... :)

Offline DeatzoSeol

• Labourer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2017, 01:43:42 PM »
Okay, first game of the group :)

DeatzoSeol 109 vs Danisthirty 201

I got owned really badly, so I guess I really should practice more 2-person Carcassonne :P

The start was pretty balanced, but then Dan started claiming that farm and was always a step ahead and managed to connect four meeples and I didn't even notice it until it was too late.

The screenshot is the only proof I'll ever need :)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 01:58:36 PM by DeatzoSeol, Reason: Added screenshot with score breakdown »

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2017, 01:59:14 PM »
Thanks for the game DeatzoSeol!

In your defence, you made a costly mistake at about the halfway stage when you closed a city of mine adjacent to the big city which allowed me to create a castle there (rather than just closing the city). A simple slip-up, and you might have gotten away with it, but then I drew a tile that could close it (provided I used a bridge) and because the main city was shared we both got 32 points but I got an extra 32 for my castle! >:D

My other castle token was planted next to a cloister that I had claimed. It took a while to complete it and I had road in the vicinity of the same castle on the go at the same time. I think I ended up completing all 3 at a similar time and getting some much needed meeples back as well as a decent handful of points.

Thanks again for the game! And good luck going forward with the competition...

Offline Jéré

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 62
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2017, 05:33:20 AM »
I'll be available tonight after 21:00 or 21:30, in case someone is also available to play. Let me know!

Will send personal messages shortly to (try to) schedule all my games.

Offline DeatzoSeol

• Labourer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2017, 10:11:40 AM »
Jéré 87 vs DeatzoSeol 90

I got very lucky to win this one. It started off slowly with both of us scoring some smaller features. Jéré drew all the good "joiners" but I got some good "blockers" to keep them off my lawn, so to speak. I realised early on I was playing against a superior opponent since they trapped two of my meeples very early, with no way out. I got very lucky to draw the CCCR tile you see in the northeast (the BCB one with three separate cities and a road) splitting the city three-way and denying Jéré the chance for majority. Meanwhile, our game of "joining" and "blocking" continued as we built some castles (those in the north) without a lot of success since Jéré prematurely had them scored without me realising what they were up to.

The most stressful moment came when Jéré started building the giant city in the south, and placing a castle there. I ran out of good blocking options and if the city were finished, Jere would have won, easily. By then, I had also lost the battle for the farm and I got very lucky that city was never finished, since it would have given Jéré 32 points.

All in all a pretty tight game nonetheless.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 10:34:19 AM by DeatzoSeol, Reason: better screenshot »

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2017, 10:33:05 AM »
2 games played, 8 left.

Offline Jéré

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 62
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2017, 02:20:52 PM »
I feel very sorry for Rosco as he told me during the game that he didn't master all the rules.  :-\

Rosco 102
Jéré    135

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2017, 12:18:12 AM »
I feel very sorry for Rosco as he told me during the game that he didn't master all the rules.  :-\

I wouldn't! A 33-point loss against you isn't a bad defeat at all, even for someone who knows all the rules inside out and back to front!

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2017, 03:39:27 AM »
@Merlin_89, Jéré and Rosco - I will be available most evenings this week from about 8:30pm onward. Please let me know either via PM or by responding here if you expect to be free at the same time too...

Offline DeatzoSeol

• Labourer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2017, 01:06:12 PM »
DeatzoSeol 121 vs Rosco 133

Fairly balanced game all in all against a worthy opponent who aggressively pushed farmers onto the single board-spanning farm - I tried to catch up but alas, by then there were no tiles left and I was left with 0 points.

I did have one advantage though: a split mega-city and neighbouring castle that scored me exactly the same as the farm. 8) Unfortunately, that wasn't enough :(

Still, I'm glad i didn't lose 2-to-1 like my game with Danisthirty ;D
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 01:09:54 PM by DeatzoSeol »

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2017, 02:17:22 PM »
4 games played, 6 left.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Bridges, Castles & Bazaars League: Bazaars

Started by MrNumbers

28 Replies
Last post March 13, 2017, 01:18:01 PM
by MrNumbers
xx
Bridges, Castles & Bazaars League: Castles

Started by MrNumbers

45 Replies
Last post March 22, 2017, 02:41:32 PM
by MrNumbers
xx
Rules about bazaars (Bridges, Castles and Bazaars)

Started by SxN

3 Replies
Last post February 01, 2021, 02:13:23 AM
by Meepledrone
xx
Expansion League #6: Bridges, Castles & Bazaars - SIGN UP HERE!

Started by MrNumbers

31 Replies
Last post February 21, 2017, 01:53:50 AM
by jma03
xx
Bridges, Castles & Bazaars League: Final round

Started by MrNumbers

59 Replies
Last post April 28, 2017, 08:51:36 AM
by Jéré