Author Topic: Quick flying machines question  (Read 4197 times)

Offline DIN0

• Viscount
  • Merit: 37
  • Carcassonne is only complete with 11th expansion:)
    • View Profile
Quick flying machines question
« on: May 31, 2018, 04:18:34 AM »
The rules say you cannot fly into feature that you completed with a flyer tile you just placed. Why ? You check for completed features after you move the wood. What difference does it make when you could in fact just place your follower into that recently completed feature ? It seems illogical and contradictory to me >:(

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=3972.0

Offline Sinscerly

• Viscount
  • Merit: 30
  • Loving to play.
    • View Profile
    • WikiCarpedia - Wiki-CAR
Re: Quick flying machines question
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2018, 06:19:26 AM »
For as far as I know. And have my hands on atm.

You can land on a feature you complete with laying the flyer tile. As indeed what you say the feature is still open till it gets "completed" in the scoring round.

My bad... Acording to the S-Car page 143, note 380. The feature is completed when the tile completes the feature. So when you go fly as the flyer "your" feature is then already completed. But the points come after you did your round.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 06:23:48 AM by Sinscerly »
"What things can you find? Things that are hidden?
Do you know The WikiCarpedia?

Offline DIN0

• Viscount
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2018, 07:14:27 AM »
Thank you for your response, but that doesn't answer the question, only confirms its necessity - contradiction still stands.  :(
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 07:19:48 AM by tp10053 »

Offline Just a Bill

• Marquis
  • Merit: 47
  • I'm still in beta.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2018, 08:38:45 AM »
The feature is completed when you place your tile, but scored after you move wood.
My stuff: The Caverns of Carcassonne | Wheel of Fortune versions | True North (wind roses) | Icon facelifts | Converting CII to CI | Signposts & the Château | The Vault | Riverboats & the Whirlpool | trade list

Offline DIN0

• Viscount
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2018, 11:17:27 AM »
The feature is completed when you place your tile, but scored after you move wood.
I am aware of that. What is troubeling me is that I can in fact place a tile that comletes an unoccupied feature and then place a follower on this completed feature to get quick points and return it to my supply.  Lets say there is a T-junction of which one road is elongated with 2 frfr tiles, then one empty space and then another T-junction. If I draw a frfr flyer tile (with a flying symbol pointing in a direction of the road ) and connect the 2 sides, the road is completed, but I can still place a follower on the road segment of the tile I used to complete it and immediately score 5 points. Alternatively, If I placed the arrow pointing toward longer side of the road and used the flying machine, landed on the same road and scored 5 points, the result would have been the same. So what difference does it make ? That is what I am asking.

Offline flipshot

• Freeman
  • Merit: 4
  • Is it time to play or sleep?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2018, 02:21:41 PM »
As you stated, it is unnecessary to use the flying machine and die to claim a feature attached to the tile you just placed. I think they were just trying to simplify the rules as much as possible. If they say "You can't use the flying machine to claim a completed feature," then it makes it so much easier, than listing the exception you are interested in. So the answer to your question is that it makes the rules simpler without having to list any special cases or exceptions.

Offline Sinscerly

• Viscount
  • Merit: 30
  • Loving to play.
    • View Profile
    • WikiCarpedia - Wiki-CAR
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2018, 02:35:35 PM »
Thank you for your response, but that doesn't answer the question, only confirms its necessity - contradiction still stands.  :(

I think but I'm not sure... It is because the flyer is a special move. But yeah I found out that I've been cheating all the time.  :-[

Offline DIN0

• Viscount
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2018, 04:33:54 PM »
As you stated, it is unnecessary to use the flying machine and die to claim a feature attached to the tile you just placed. I think they were just trying to simplify the rules as much as possible. If they say "You can't use the flying machine to claim a completed feature," then it makes it so much easier, than listing the exception you are interested in. So the answer to your question is that it makes the rules simpler without having to list any special cases or exceptions.
I guess you're right.  :neutral-meeple: I just feel it would have been even simpler if they just left that part out alltogether since it doesn't make any difference to the gameplay.

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
  • Merit: 127
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2018, 04:06:37 PM »
I've created some examples for the flying machines.

The red frame is the just placed tile.

The red meeple on the road - when the player used the base game rule.

The red meeple on the flying machine symbol - when the player used the flying machines.

The light read meeple - when the flying meeple (flyer) lands onto the features. The die has the one point.

the red arrow - its fine to land with the flyer.
the black arrow - it is not possible to land with the flyer.

the grey circle with the line = not possible for the meeple.

Offline DIN0

• Viscount
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2018, 05:41:46 PM »
Thank you :D

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
The Flying Machines

Started by petul

18 Replies
Last post May 11, 2017, 10:53:38 AM
by JoeSesquipedalian
xx
German monasteries & portals, flying machines and "Place a meeple" arrow symbols

Started by NGC 54

2 Replies
Last post July 15, 2023, 08:22:29 AM
by NGC 54
question
The Tower & The Flying Machines: Element Match-Ups #2

Started by Whaleyland

18 Replies
Last post September 30, 2015, 03:25:54 PM
by Hounk
xx
The Flying Machines 2 for JCloisterZone