Poll

How do you primarily use The Plague fleas?

To aggressively pursue opponent's wooden bits.
4 (28.6%)
To block off areas from rivals.
0 (0%)
I just kind of let them roam freely.
2 (14.3%)
I use them in some other creatively strategic manner (describe below).
1 (7.1%)
I don't ever play with or don't own The Plague.
7 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Voting closed: February 20, 2015, 01:30:01 PM

Author Topic: The Plague – Element of the Week #23  (Read 12383 times)

Offline Whaleyland

• Great Khan
  • Global Moderator
  • Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 101
  • Toulouse: Carcassonne's insignificant neighbor.
    • View Profile
    • Derek R. Whaley, PhD | Librarian, Historian, and Writer
Re: The Plague – Element of the Week #23
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2015, 05:34:21 PM »
Number one fact about the Plague: although the Plague areas are supposed to remain separate and old areas go into decline as new areas appear, they often just all attach together again. In every single game I've played with this expansion, I have been forced to use active fleas because there are no available inactive fleas (the areas have all combined). This leads to one of the most annoying aspects of the expansion: having to flip over fleas to inactive only to re-flip them to active a little later because they get connected again. There's good strategic reasons for reconnecting them, but it can be a huge pain.

Sidenote: Always play Plague with Magic Portals and Flying Machines. Otherwise you won't earn many points.

Offline Christopher

• Count
  • Merit: 12
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2016, 05:04:40 AM »
The Plague is a lovely expansion to play every once in a while with not many other expansions. I find it completely changes the strategies employed, as players go from burying a follower in a huge feature so they can score maximum points to looking for a quick few points and a returned follower. It's nice just to shake the cobwebs out every now and then and change the way players think and strategize. We don't often use the plague in a large game, it either ruins everyone's plans by stripping the table of followers or gets stuck in a corner and forgotten about.

I love it though, it's a fantastic expansion and serves a great purpose in the Carcassonne universe. 
Look to the north. Keep looking. There's nothing coming from the south.

Offline dirk2112

• Baron
  • Merit: 43
  • Filled with caffeine and hyperbole
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2017, 01:29:19 PM »
My wife and I finally played with the Plague.  We also included halflings 1, watchtowers, and the Wagon.  I hoped the wagon would allow us to claim some features left empty by the plague, but that really didn't happen.   For the most part the plague hovered around the center and left side of the board.  It killed almost every monk, but other meeple could escape easily.  With only 2 players it was hard to chase each other around before running out of fleas or having a new breakout.  I imagine more meeple would die with more players.  We enjoyed the expansion, though I don't think it will come to the table as much as some other expansions.

We scored way more points than I expected.  Final score 162 to 167.  The halflings were the main reason for the big score.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
The plague, inactive plague region

Started by drone2

7 Replies
Last post February 18, 2017, 05:39:12 AM
by asparagus
xx
Castles - Element of the Weak (unofficial Element of the Week)

Started by Gerry

2 Replies
Last post December 29, 2014, 01:37:18 AM
by danisthirty
question
The Magic Portals & The Plague – Element Match-Ups #14

Started by Whaleyland

5 Replies
Last post January 19, 2016, 11:54:18 AM
by Guy
xx
The Barns – Element of the Week #18