Author Topic: Extensive comparison of WOF tiles in the BB5, standalone WOF and the base game  (Read 5391 times)

Offline DavidY

• Freeman
  • Merit: 5
  • :)!
    • View Profile
Hi guys, i did some comparison with the WOF and base tiles from BB5 with the base game and the standalone WOF expansion

http://postimg.cc/image/i8qayoiif/
the above image is the distribution sheet of the original base game compared with the BB5 distribution sheet.
when all tiles of a kind are present, they are striked off with a black line.
As you can see, all tiles from the original base game are present in the BB5.
However, 16 of the original base game tiles have numbers on them in the BB5.

to do a cross-checking, i did a vertical stroke on the tiles that are present in the original base game and the BB5 below. The below two images are the tile distribution of the BB5 (without the other expansions). Do note that the tiles in the first image below do not contain a watermark while the tiles in the second image do

http://postimg.cc/image/o6yk4i483/

http://postimg.cc/image/tp14hz681/

An orange vertical stroke on a tile means a non-numbered tile that is present in both the BB5 and the original base game. There should be a total of 56.
while, a blue vertical stroke on a tiles represents a numbered tile that is present in both the BB5 and the original base game. There should be a total of 16.
In total there should be 72 orange and blue vertical strokes, matching the number of tiles in the base game.

http://postimg.cc/image/hcy84hidd/

1st-level Conclusion: No original base game tile is missing from the BB5

Next, i compared the numbered tiles in the standalone WOF expansion with the BB5.
A red horizontal stroke on a tile represents a numbered tile that is present in both the BB5 and the standalone WOF.
It turns out, all 19 numbered tiles from the standalone WOF are present in the BB5.

Then i compared the non-numbered tiles in the standalone WOF expansion with the BB5.
A white triangle on a tile represents a non-numbered tile that is present in both BB5 and the standalone WOF.
It turns out, all remaining 53 non-numbered tiles from the standalone WOF are present in the BB5.

In total there should be a total of 72 white triangles and red vertical strokes matching the number of tiles in the standalone WOF.

2nd-level conclusion. The BB5 contains every single tile from the standalone WOF.

As it turns out, one tile is present in the BB5 and not in both the original base game and the original standalone WOF.
This tile is indicated by a Pink box.

3rd-Level conclusion. The BB5 contains an extra tile.

However, this tile is not unique and have duplicates that already in the standalone WOF.

4th- Level conclusion The extra tile is a duplicated tile from the standalone WOF in the BB5

This tile have collector's value i guess?

Also, something good to know is, that The BB5 (BB5's base game + BB5's WOF) contains all standalone WOF tiles and  11 + 1 more tile than the standalone WOF

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=1536.0
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 05:10:38 AM by MrNumbers, Reason: Links fixed »

Offline Carcking

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 33
  • I call Red!
    • View Profile
So the long and the short of it is the BB5 has one extra start tile with a watermark on it. Good to know.

icydarkstary, here is a merit for you for this good work. First time I've seen this all spelled out like this.  :(y)
I just drew the perfect tile for my MonKnighThieFarmer!

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net

Offline rbaylis

• Vagabond
  • Merit: 0
    • View Profile
I have my WOF watermarked tiles separated from the base tiles in the BB5 set and although it is true that there is a 'starting tile' type CRFR tile in amongst the WOF 12, there are still 73 non-watermarked tiles in the base set instead of the usual 72.

There is only one true starting tile with the inverse design back, so isn't it more correct to say that there is an additional regular CRFR tile that should be regarded as a spare and not used in the game, whether playing with or without WOF? I'm presuming it was an error when they did the combined layout sheets for BB5 and overlooked the fact they'd put four CRFR tiles in amongst the base set, all with the regular design back, and then included the starting tile elsewhere on the sheets. I don't have the punched out surrounds any more so I can't check how it occurred, but that's my theory.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 07:23:21 AM by rbaylis »
Rhymney, Caerphilly, UK

Offline BabyGamer

• Duke
  • Merit: 12
  • Aloha! =^_^=
    • View Profile
WOAH!!!  :o

Like I wasn't confused enough with WOF...  ;D

This is some hard core analysis!  ^-^ Merit for Icydarkstary and also Decar!! Nice done!  :) :(y)

soo.... basically, bb5 has one extra starting tile? :) and the rest is the same? ??? Phew... Ok! I think I understand now.  ;D

Offline Frommarn91

• Villein
  • Merit: 2
  • Meep! Meep!
    • View Profile
Great work on the breakdown and tile analysis both of you!

Regarding the extra CRFR tile:
It might be as simple as that they couldn't rearrange the ratio between rows/columns in a way to print exactly the right number of tiles. Thus they got one spare in the printing sheets and just decided to just give players a bonus tile instead of changing the production sheets and all that comes with it. Just my thoughts on the matter  ;)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Standalone WoF on UK eBay - 2nd Jan 2018

Started by wolnic

11 Replies
Last post January 18, 2018, 09:23:39 AM
by danisthirty
xx
WTB/WTT BB5 Wheel of Fortune Tiles

Started by DavidY

0 Replies
Last post November 27, 2019, 09:20:17 AM
by DavidY
xx
Ebay: BB5 - Kingdom Builder BB - Alhambra BB

Started by Decar

0 Replies
Last post March 20, 2016, 03:05:40 PM
by Decar
xx
2 player 110 tiles game (Without the base game tiles)

Started by SRBO

3 Replies
Last post August 17, 2015, 02:01:56 AM
by SRBO
xx
Helpful checklists for Mists over Carcassonne (standalone game)

Started by Challa007

23 Replies
Last post September 22, 2023, 10:37:47 AM
by Challa007