Author Topic: Video games  (Read 6211 times)

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 91
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
Video games
« on: January 29, 2016, 01:23:01 PM »
Since video games are also games, wanted to ask forum members: what are your favorite video games (of course, if you play them at all).
I will start with myself - I play only on PC (no PS4, Xbox etc.), buy games on Steam, and spend on them the same amount of time as on boardgames. My favorite video games are (not in particular order):

1. Deus Ex series
2. Life is Strange
3. The Talos Principle
4. Far Cry series
5. Half-Life series
6. Delta Force series
7. Sniper Elite series
8. The Vanishing of Ethan Carter
9. Qbeh-1: The Atlas Cube
10. Starcraft series

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=2392.0
"I never lose. Either I win or I learn." (Nelson Mandela)

Offline Valheru

• Marquis
  • Merit: 19
  • More tiles, less rules!
    • View Profile
Re: Video games
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2016, 03:43:42 PM »
Great topic.

To me, Warcraft III + expansion The Frozen Throne is the greatest game ever. It gave a lot of inspiration for League of Legends and stuff like that so that's two games which I play(ed). Next to that, I'm a MAJOR Football Manager fanatic (last edition, I played around 430 hours, this edition already 125).

When lanning with friends, we often play one of the Flatout series, old Call of Duty or even Worms (all about those holy handgrenades).

Just now I bought Warhammer 40000 Dawn of War II complete series via Humble Bundle. Played it before but excited to play the extra content.
"In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming..."

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2016, 01:56:34 AM »
Monkey Island for me.

But Warcraft III is also great because the PC and MAC versions also came with a map editor all on a single DVD  :(y)

Offline Jéré

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 62
    • View Profile
Video games
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2016, 05:30:21 AM »
My favorite video games of all time are Uncharted Waters (1991) and Uncharted Waters: New Horizons (1994). That's probably because of these games that I became a Marine Cartographer and that I like to travel so much.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 05:32:28 AM by Jéré »

Offline Hounk

• Baron
  • Merit: 15
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2016, 10:08:24 AM »
I was very much into all the  Lucas Film Games/ Lucas Arts Adventure games, especially "Day of the Tentacle", "Zak McKracken", and of course "Monkey Island". Also liked a German light RPG called "Gothic" and the War/Star-Craft series a lot. But I'm out of computer gaming now for quite some years, so have not keept up with the more recent stuff. When I visited a cousin two or three years ago, we played some Portal II coop, though, and that was lot of fun as well for me, although it was a video game, not PC, and I was not really used to this game pad device.

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 86
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2016, 10:52:36 AM »
World of Warcraft. Though I mostly just fly around doing very little these days. Enjoying the scenery.

Past games I've enjoyed was early Tomb Raiders, Fallout series and Baldur's Gate / Icewind Dale and many games on the Amiga computer. Eye of the Beholder was one with fondest memories.
World record holder for a single game of Carcassonne using 10 007 tiles!

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2016, 12:11:49 PM »
I've never played Uncharted Waters - but that sure looks like Guybrush threepwood and Elaine Marley on the box art!

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 91
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2016, 12:25:17 PM »
Thanks for sharing, guys!  :(y)
As I can see, most of you like either RPG, or multiplayer games (or both). Quite the contrary, I don't like such type of games, on PC I prefer to play single player action games. Maybe because I am afraid that multiplayer game can carry me away for a long period, but this isn't what I want :D As you probably noticed, my favorite type of games is games with good storyline. Some of my list have outstanding storyline, almost like an interactive movie (best example is "Life is Strange"). Other type of games that I play is little casual puzzle games, like Hexcells, Quell, Micron, Circuits etc.

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2016, 05:42:41 AM »
Great topic! Please allow me to reminisce a while... :D

I haven't been into computer games for a long time, but I used to enjoy them, mostly when I was a teenager. The Doom games (Ultimate Doom/ Final Doom/ Doom 2) were my favourites and I used to be pretty handy at it too. My friends and I used to have 4 or 5 "LAN parties" (as they're now called) a year and would even build our own levels based on places we knew such as our school. We would mess with the graphics too, on one occasion applying a patch to someone else's computer while they were out of the room so that they saw everyone else as dead bodies. It took him a while to work out where he kept getting shot from, but then he saw a "dead body" running around and realised we'd done something. O:-)

Other early to mid-90s favourites included Tetris (Gameboy), Syndicate (PC), Streets of Rage 2 (Megadrive) and various Resident Evil games that I used to play on a Dreamcast. The only video game I still play every now and again is Mario Kart on the Wii (a family favourite) and Bejeweled Blitz on Facebook. I've deliberately stayed away from anything more immersive as I wouldn't trust myself not to get addicted and have to abandon my family for days on end to fight monsters or whatever!

Offline Chooselife

• Viscount
  • Merit: 25
  • Just Ask
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2016, 06:46:23 AM »
Monkey Island for me.
The funniest games I ever played and Full Throttle was also awesome. How come they never end up as movies .......

I was always into war based FPS, no sci-fi, so I played everything of the MOH and COD franchises from the first to the very last ones. Played most of them online but only in MOHAAS did I play on European Ladders.

Nevertheless in the golden years I played almost everything from:
All Age of Empires to All CIVs,
To Caeser3 (which now and then I install just to create the perfect Roman cities),
Several Tycoons (ZOO, Park),
Theme Hospital (on the very top of my favorite games),
Patrician,
Port Royal,
Star Wars themed games here and there,
all EA Rugby's, most of of the NHLs, few NBA's or FIFAs
The first GTAs before they got so good you could expect to finish them
Leisure Suite Larrys

I would also play Championship/Football Manager now and then and I'd usually pull an all-nighter when they came out just for the pre-season but after 2 or 3 days I would fed up.

After the kids were born I can't manage to fully dedicate to big games and even JCZ appearances are hard to schedule, so now 99% of what I try to play have to be simple enough to start, play, save and exit in few minutes so the only two currently installed is the Saint Seiya: Soldiers Soul and the Kung Fu Panda Showdown of Legendary Legends.

Separate mention to Game of Thrones by Telltale the most "complicated" and immersive thing I played recently.

We few, we happy few, we band of brothers; For he today that sheds his blood with me, Shall be my brother;

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2016, 06:59:18 AM »
I liked Full Throttle & Day of the Tentacle at the time, but they are now used to fuel the: "Tim Schafer's amazing at making games" bandwagon.  They are even seeing HD remakes.  The LEC-team was back in the 90s, not just him.  I've played a quite a few Double-Fine games.  None of them were particularly memorable.  Some of Telltale's earlier games have been good, but I've not enjoyed the interactive adventure games quite as much; though Monkey Island 5 was pretty good reason to switch format.

Other PC games from my youth:
Grim Fandango is a master piece.
Total Annihilation
C&C, up to Red Alert 2
Half Life
Sonic The Hedgehog
One Must Fall
Mortal Kombat
Unreal Tournament
Dizzy

Offline Hounk

• Baron
  • Merit: 15
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2016, 11:13:27 AM »
"Full Throttle" had a nice "Dr. Strange Love" reference, quite well hidden in the game. Did you spot it? :D

Offline ooh_jim

• Duke
  • Merit: 18
  • No, *you* haven't updated your profile yet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2016, 04:53:21 PM »
Favourite video game is Final Fantasy VI. I've tried playing one or two other installments in the series, but they mostly just start reminding me of how great 6 is so I quickly give in and go play that again in stead. I mean it has a whole 20min operetta halfway through fully orchestrated in 16 bit. Runner up is probably Metal Gear Solid 3, pretty much have the entire game memorised by now.

I'm currently enjoying quite a few more relaxed, arty games more than anything else. Fez, Flower, Hohokum, Journey & Monument Valley. Recently bought the soundtracks to the latter three on vinyl. Those and, uh, Hotline Miami 2 - maybe not so relaxed, but a hell of an OST.

Offline SRBO

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 40
  • The Robber Dragon King
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2016, 12:21:44 AM »
It surprises me that noone mentioned the assassins creed series. Not all of them are good and I havent played the last 2 but. Wow I really like these series!

Also I like tom clancys game very much.
Quite a while ago I used to play guildwars. That was a very good game. But they totally failed with guildwars 2..

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
My Latest Video Project...

Started by danisthirty

6 Replies
Last post May 13, 2014, 04:59:00 AM
by danisthirty
xx
Video related to Carcassonne thread

Started by Paul

1 Replies
Last post February 06, 2016, 06:53:17 AM
by Carcking
xx
Can We Embed A Video In A Post?

Started by Chuckybl

7 Replies
Last post April 02, 2015, 06:07:45 AM
by Chuckybl
question
What games did you enjoy at UK games expo (or other games convention)?

Started by asparagus

4 Replies
Last post June 09, 2016, 02:27:25 AM
by asparagus
xx
Conceding - games in which quiting is common

Started by dirk2112

1 Replies
Last post November 01, 2016, 10:24:18 AM
by Hounk