Author Topic: Carcassonne Minis League: Fliers  (Read 20798 times)

Offline thodekey

• Count
  • Merit: 9
  • I feel Carc-complete or do I?!
    • View Profile
Re: Carcassonne Minis League: Fliers
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2017, 01:43:44 PM »
I said it -by mistake- before but now it is for real: today was the day I played against MrNumbers.  After 2 defeats (against Leven and Dan) and 1 Pyrrhic victory (3 points difference) against Chooselife, I had to bring up all I've got in this match to still play a role in this group of notorious players!  Not an easy task against the ELO-points-leader...

Still fresh in my mind: the big loss against Dan...and the worst part in this was I didn't had the feeling I made (big) mistakes there...especially in comparison with my disastrous game against Leven...yet, the points difference was even bigger.

Anyhow,
I had the honor of opening the debates with a 2-tile-city while MrNumbers started of with a "golden city" with a bridge over it.  I started a road but soon MrNumbers blocked me with a CFFF-tile in front of the road.  From then on, I had to hope to draw the only CC2-tile that could get me out of there.
Meanwhile, we both had our share of the gold although I must say I was lucky to make a 4-tile circulair road earning me instantly 4 gold extra.

MrNumbers drew the CC2 city-splitting tile and forced me out of the city in the N which also contained gold.  Luckily, I drew thereafter a tile to close the 8-points-city left of it and managed to join a little later that same large city in the N.  Meanwhile, I laid the first claim on the central farm with one meeple...still hoping to release that one meeple with the CC2-tile to get the odds even...and I did eventually!

City and road-building went on by both sides without any other meeples being blocked while there began a major battle over the central farmland. By that time, I had a small lead in points and a lead of 7-2 in gold.

At this point, MrNumbers drew some gold tiles and started 2 separate roads with them in the NE to earn that extra gold while I concentrated on securing my claim on the main farm and trying to block MrNumbers golden roads.  I managed to block 1 meeple there while MrNumbers closed the second road which gave him 2 extra gold.  By completing a 5-tile city in the S, MrNumbers claimed another 2 gold along with 12 points and in the same turn forcing me again out of the large uncompleted city in the N.

On the bright side, that gave me again 2 meeples in stack for the last 10 tiles.  For my 2 remaining tiles, I used 1 meeple in the S to join 2 extra cities with the main farm while I used the last one to claim an uncompleted city in the centre, worth 7 points while MrNumbers used his last meeple to take a 6-points-farm in the S.

In the end, the 39 points for the main farm and that one extra gold, made all of the difference to me.  By the way: 9 points extra for just 1 extra gold is a lot.

It's only fair to say, I had luck a bit on my side:
- I got that one CC2 in the middle of the game to free one of my meeples stuck in the center.
- i had the luck of drawing 2 gold tiles fast after each other to make a circular road and claiming 4 gold with it while MrNumbers drew his gold tiles to make up with it rather late in the game.

So, in fact, I had the same feeling afterwords as I had in my match against Dan but then from the other side: MrNumbers played really well, made no big mistakes and used his tiles for the best and yet, the points difference is rather big and therefore not a realistic (or fair?) image of the tight game we played.

So, mixed feelings again after this one: maybe 4 mini's just adds too much luck into the game?

Anway, to MrNumbers: apart from the above, I think we had a nice game after all and I wish you the best with your remaining games!  Hopefully, luck turns out the other way or even better...luck won't be the deciding factor.

Cheers!

Offline Jéré

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 62
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2017, 11:33:14 PM »
Definitely agree: the luck factor is VERY high!  :o

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2017, 03:48:04 PM »
Leven and I played our match this evening. It was a long one and it's a bit late for a full write-up now, but the result was :blue-meeple: (157) vs. :violet-meeple: (157)!

Offline Leven

• Viscount
  • Merit: 49
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2017, 06:40:03 AM »
Here's the screenshot of this incredible game.
Dan collected 12(!) gold pieces which might be a new league-record. I became completely resigned to losing this game by a significant PD (imagine that ca. 15-20 tiles to the end Dan already had a huge gold-collection, he had majority (2:0) on the big farm with more than 10 completed cities, and he drew the RRRR goldmine tile in the 7th row which allowed him to score easy 10 points for a road and to claim two more gold pieces). I felt that I needed a miracle to win. Well, the miracle almost happened.
At first I was able to equalize the majority on the farm by joining two farmers at once by the RRFF tile in the 12th row. We both knew that one of the fork-shaped crop circles was still to come. Dan decided to deploy his last follower as a farmer to a worthless farm just to have a spare farmer on the board in case I would draw the CC-tile and force him to remove one of his farmers. But it may have been a mistake as I still had 2 followers in my supply so when I actually drew that tile I rather chose the other option, and deployed another farmer (Dan didn't have this opportunity as he was already out of followers). This farm almost compensated Dan's gold advantage, and I still had one meeple in my supply to collect some additional points during my last turns which was just enough to save the game to a draw.

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2017, 07:17:34 AM »
Leven started our game and drew a ccrr with pennant. He claimed the city and completed it with his next tile for 8 points. I didn't get quite such a smooth start but was hoping to draw level with a 4-point circular road +Mage for 8 points of my own. Leven used a Crop Circle tile to force me to abandon my road though, and when he completed it for me on his next turn the scoretrack was looking pretty ugly at 18 - 0 against me.

As the battle continued, Leven took a couple of risks which I was able to make the most of. I trapped one of his monks for 8 points (a favour he later returned) but he prevented me from completely trapping a nearby knight with adjacent monk by creating a cccr gap. Four cccr tiles had already been played by this point and I didn't realise there were any left, but he did eventually draw the tile he needed to complete his city and I completed his cloiser with a rrrf towards the end of the game where I also had a thief trapped nearby (especially since there was a gold bar in it for me too).

The balance of luck was definitely skewed in my favour when it came to the gold and we finished the game 12 bars to 3 in this respect giving me a tidy 45 point bonus! My personal highlight was drawing a lucky Goldmines tile that allowed me to complete a feature immediately and take 5 gold bars in the process!

Despite having two farmers on the same farm before Leven had placed any of his own, he stole the main farm from me with 4 farmers against my 3. The Crop Circles tiles were significant here as his drawing of the second pitchfork tile allowed him to add an extra farmer where he already had one to take overall control. Normally I would have been able to add a second farmer of my own to retain an equal share, but for some reason I was convinced that he would force me to remove a farmer if he drew this tile, and so had already placed another farmer of my own elsewhere which I could subsequently remove without losing my share of the main farm. I'm not 100% sure why I didn't at least put my "reserve" farmer next to a completed city as these 3 points could have made all the difference (to my Elo as well as my position in the league)...

Above all else, it was a very tense but enjoyable game against a wonderful, intelligent, handsome yet modest opponent for Leven. But I enjoyed it too. ;)

Thanks for the game Leven, and good luck with your final match of this stage of the league!

Offline Leven

• Viscount
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2017, 08:21:34 AM »
Thanks for the game Leven, and good luck with your final match of this stage of the league!
Thank you, Dan. I also wish you the best with the rest of the competition. You still have good chances to win the group.

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2017, 08:25:01 AM »
Thank you, Dan. I also wish you the best with the rest of the competition. You still have good chances to win the group.

No chance that relies on beating MrNumbers is a good chance as far as I'm concerned! But I'll certainly try... :D

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2017, 03:57:32 AM »
@MrNumbers/ Rosco: will you be available to play our matches at some point in the first half of next week?

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 91
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2017, 04:06:32 AM »
@MrNumbers/ Rosco: will you be available to play our matches at some point in the first half of next week?
Yes, on evenings. Good days are Monday and Wednesday, when I will be on work trip, so during my lonely evenings in hotel I can play some matches :D
"I never lose. Either I win or I learn." (Nelson Mandela)

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2017, 04:08:51 AM »
Yes, on evenings. Good days are Monday and Wednesday, when I will be on work trip, so during my lonely evenings in hotel I can play some matches :D

OK. Let's provisionally say Wednesday at 8:30pm UK time if this is OK?

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 91
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2017, 04:11:14 AM »

OK. Let's provisionally say Wednesday at 8:30pm UK time if this is OK?
OK, let's schedule on Wednesday then.

Offline Leven

• Viscount
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2017, 05:23:07 AM »

No chance that relies on beating MrNumbers is a good chance as far as I'm concerned! But I'll certainly try... :D
Rosco's chances are also very good in my opinion. He hasn't lost a game so far in this league. ;)

Offline Rosco

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 41
  • Racing, and playing hard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 11, 2017, 12:53:27 PM »
Ha ha ba ba ba

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Just lay the damn tile!

Offline Rosco

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 41
  • Racing, and playing hard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 11, 2017, 12:54:21 PM »
Pretty much any time over the next week apart from Wednesday and Friday daytime.  There may be some things that pop up but should be good

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 11, 2017, 02:59:52 PM »
Ha ha ba ba ba

That is the best impression of a laughing sheep I have ever seen on CarcC. +1 merit :(y)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Interaction of Magic portal and Fliers

Started by Snowmax

3 Replies
Last post July 08, 2020, 02:47:30 PM
by Snowmax
xx
Question about fliers and halflings

Started by Dkmvs

3 Replies
Last post February 02, 2021, 02:34:52 PM
by NGC 54
xx
Carcassonne Minis League: Goldminers

Started by MrNumbers

39 Replies
Last post September 25, 2017, 11:10:27 PM
by MrNumbers
xx
Expansion League #7: Carcassonne Minis - SIGN UP HERE!

Started by MrNumbers

63 Replies
Last post September 05, 2017, 11:19:32 PM
by MrNumbers
xx
Carcassonne Minis League: Wizards

Started by MrNumbers

74 Replies
Last post September 25, 2017, 01:17:28 PM
by MrNumbers