Author Topic: Hills and Barns  (Read 3552 times)

Offline Christopher

• Count
  • Merit: 12
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
    • View Profile
Hills and Barns
« on: April 22, 2016, 05:24:33 AM »
This occurred to me as a result of all of the barn/halfling discussion going on. It was stated somewhere that a barn must have a stable base. My question, then, is can a barn be placed at the intersection of four tiles if one or more of those tiles is a hill? If all four corners are field it should be allowed, but it wouldn't have a stable base. I have had a look in the CAR and have seen no mention of this. Apologies if it has been asked before.

I expect the hill would not exert its usual effect on the barn, i.e. tie-breaking, even if it could be placed, as the Hills and Sheep rules explicitly state 'when scoring a feature with one or more followers' on a hill, and a barn is not a follower. There will be no breaking of barn-ties. However, my question is just one of can the barn be placed?

Does anyone know the answer to this?

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=2654.0
Look to the north. Keep looking. There's nothing coming from the south.

Offline Yashin-n

• Vassal
  • Merit: 3
    • View Profile
Re: Hills and Barns
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2016, 09:59:34 AM »
The statement about stability of base under a barn was mentioned in answer 9 in Clarification of rules from Kettlefish in this section of the forum.

The base ground for the barn has to be stable - that means in the middle all tiles have to touch each other - no quarter is empty in the middle - all tiles have farm in the middle for the placement of the barn.

So all tiles should have farm under a barn. Tiles with hills have farm in the corner so a barn can be placed on such tiles.

Offline Christopher

• Count
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2016, 05:00:56 AM »
The statement about stability of base under a barn was mentioned in answer 9 in Clarification of rules from Kettlefish in this section of the forum.

The base ground for the barn has to be stable - that means in the middle all tiles have to touch each other - no quarter is empty in the middle - all tiles have farm in the middle for the placement of the barn.

So all tiles should have farm under a barn. Tiles with hills have farm in the corner so a barn can be placed on such tiles.

Do we know this, or are you extrapolating from the rules?

What I mean to say is, has barn placement on a hill been confirmed? Or I am I being daft in thinking there's a possibility it can't, like asking if a barn can be placed on tile with a vineyard? Because of the nature of hills, and because of the physical deployment of the tile beneath, resulting in a raised area, it seems to me it could be something which isn't allowed.

Offline JT Atomico

• Marquis
  • Merit: 61
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2016, 06:13:51 AM »
What if it is the hill from halflings? You could potentially play the barn touching one halfling and then later add the one with the hill which promotes the whole tile to a hill! What then?

Offline Christopher

• Count
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2016, 06:34:24 AM »
What if it is the hill from halflings? You could potentially play the barn touching one halfling and then later add the one with the hill which promotes the whole tile to a hill! What then?

The game ends immediately on a technicality and you defenestrate your rulebook.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Sheep & Hills - question regarding Hills

Started by Carcking

4 Replies
Last post May 02, 2014, 08:58:14 PM
by Scott
xx
Questions about Halflings, Farming and Barns

Started by Decar

34 Replies
Last post February 22, 2017, 07:15:44 AM