Author Topic: 2 player game  (Read 20702 times)

Offline Jéré

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 62
    • View Profile
Re: 2 player game
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2015, 06:24:29 PM »

Offline Bixby

• Marquis
  • Merit: 18
  • Guinness is Goodness
    • View Profile
    • Bixby's Bar & Grill
« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2015, 03:07:53 PM »
Here are some recommendations from our group.

Jaipur
Great card game that is portable, easy to learn, and quick to play
Plays 2

Machi Koro (With Harbour Expansion)
This has quickly become a go to game in our group. Very popular. Note: Only play WITH the Harbour expansion.
Plays 2-5

A La Carte
Fun cooking game with a dexterity component.
Plays 2-4

Battle Line
Great two player game that is portable and very quick to play. Simple rules with some strategic depth.
Plays 2

Castles of Mad King Ludwig
Another popular game in these parts. Very captivating game play.
Plays 2-4

Fjords
Very clever two player games that involves tiles laying and area control.
Plays 2

Hive
A brilliant 2 player game. Portable and great for camping. Simple and deep.
Plays 2

San Juan
A very cool card game that plays quickly and has just been reprinted.
Plays 2-4

Good luck with the game search!
Matt
My KARMA ran over your DOGMA

Offline spikey_dino

• Freeman
  • Merit: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2015, 12:17:09 AM »
Splendor might fit the bill.

Very easy to learn, quick to play and has game depth

It is another favourite of ours. We mostly played 2 player so it is my preferred player count. Playing with more changes the game style. Some prefer a higher player count but I think the game play is just different.

My husband and I play Splendor together often.  I love it!  Also, you should look at Hive.  It's a simple game to learn and you can try it for free on boardgamearena (new favorite website) to see if you like it before you buy it

Offline obervet

• Authors
  • Count
  • Merit: 36
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2015, 12:12:48 PM »
I'll add one that I don't think I've seen on the list yet: Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small. This has some good but not too difficult strategy, and there's always one more thing that you wish you could do each turn. If you like the base game, there are also a couple of expansions that are completely worth it, too.

Offline Whaleyland

• Great Khan
  • Global Moderator
  • Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 101
  • Toulouse: Carcassonne's insignificant neighbor.
    • View Profile
    • Derek R. Whaley, PhD | Librarian, Historian, and Writer
« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2015, 03:32:52 PM »
I'll add one that I don't think I've seen on the list yet: Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small. This has some good but not too difficult strategy, and there's always one more thing that you wish you could do each turn. If you like the base game, there are also a couple of expansions that are completely worth it, too.
I second buying the two expansions. They make the game SOO much better and replayable.

Offline SRBO

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 40
  • The Robber Dragon King
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2015, 02:06:50 PM »
So hello guys, a little update on this..

Last week I turned 22 and on my birthday I recieved the following games:

- Forbidden Island (as requested by the suggestions here)
- Machiavelli (dutch version of Citadels)
- Machiavelli - The Dark Lands
- Guillotine

My girlfriend also tried the council of verona, but sadly it wasnt available..
Thanks again on the suggestions,

I really like the new games,

Forbidden island is a fast learning game, with the cooperation mechanic. its really fun and its short. Possibly i end up buying the other version (the sand version ) also.
Machiavelli i really like, lots of possibilities. and nice graphics.

Guillotine is just a really fun, annoying, strange, awkward, weird game. where you have collect heads with a certain value. definitely a suggestion to all of you.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 02:10:30 PM by SRBO »

Offline Whaleyland

• Great Khan
  • Global Moderator
  • Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 101
  • Toulouse: Carcassonne's insignificant neighbor.
    • View Profile
    • Derek R. Whaley, PhD | Librarian, Historian, and Writer
« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2015, 03:09:03 PM »
Guillotine is just a really fun, annoying, strange, awkward, weird game. where you have collect heads with a certain value. definitely a suggestion to all of you.
Hands down favorite game ever. I've played it more times than I can count and just love it. The only thing that would make it better is an expansion that adds a fourth day and another set of people to the mix. I think foreigners would be the best option. It even beats Carcassonne in my list.

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2015, 03:50:22 PM »
Forbidden island is a fast learning game, with the cooperation mechanic. its really fun and its short. Possibly i end up buying the other version (the sand version ) also.

Happy birthday for last week!  :(y)

Glad you're enjoying it. My wife and I enjoy co-operative games and have enjoyed Forbidden Island many times. I highly recommend Forbidden Desert (the sand version) too, as it's a similar sort of game but with some interesting mechanics that can mean the game quickly gets out of control if you don't keep a close eye on everything. Always nice when everyone's a winner though!  ^-^

Offline Jéré

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 62
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2015, 05:19:05 AM »
I'd like to know if somebody has tried "Letters from Whitechapel" ?  Looks quite good, especially for 2 players.

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/59959/letters-whitechapel

Just want to confirm this is an excellent choice for 2 players. At the time I made the suggestion, I had never played it. It was on my radar for quite some time, finally bought it half a year ago and I've played it about 5-6 times now with my partner and we really like it. The map of London is gorgeous and playing Jack the Ripper is super tense and fun. A bit like Carcassonne, it can be multiplayer but the game really shines with only 2. Plus, it meets your criteria: for adults, bit difficult and not too long. Well, playing time is 120 min on BGG but I think that must be for 4, 5 or 6-player games because we've played full games in less than 1 hour (excluding time to set up the game at the beginning).

This has Jéré's seal of approval.  :(y) :yellow-meeple:

See also this link if you want to know more:  https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/636089/letters-whitechapel-2-player-review

Offline Valheru

• Marquis
  • Merit: 19
  • More tiles, less rules!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2016, 05:41:59 PM »
Probably kicking an open door in with this, but I think it hasn't been mentioned before: Stratego!

For me, the best game ever, I even had a league with the other kids in my neighbourhood and I drew out starting strategies on a piece of paper during school. Still play it from time to time and gets me sucked in every time.

Anyone ever played The Hive? Very interested in that as well. And from now on, Guillotine is on my to play/buy list!
"In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming..."

Offline franks

• Marquis
  • Merit: 26
  • I love Carcassonne
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2016, 05:56:52 PM »
Anyone ever played The Hive? Very interested in that as well. And from now on, Guillotine is on my to play/buy list!

I really enjoy Hive though most of my plays have been on IOS. Unfortunately my wife doesn't enjoy it. Just like a lot of abstract games if there is a disparity of experience between players it won't be fun for at least one of them.

Regardless I think this is a great game and one of my favourite abstacrts, I would recommend it. As indicated above, imaybe the best way to try it might be in electronic format. Just don't get too good, noobs might not want to play you  ;)
Franks

Wanna play Carc? Can we add just one more expansion?

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Superbowl Sunday: 2-player game (base game + I&C)

Started by Scott

4 Replies
Last post January 31, 2015, 10:36:40 AM
by Scott
xx
2 player 110 tiles game (Without the base game tiles)

Started by SRBO

3 Replies
Last post August 17, 2015, 02:01:56 AM
by SRBO
xx
Thanksgiving Five-Player Base Game+IC+TB+PD

Started by kothmann

3 Replies
Last post November 28, 2021, 08:43:50 PM
by Challa007
xx
Tips for a 4-player Basic Game