Author Topic: JCloisterZone 3.1 (playonline/hostmode)  (Read 22502 times)

Offline rfielder

• Marquis
  • Merit: 10
  • Carcassonne Beginner
    • View Profile
    • Cool Country Nights
Re: JCloisterZone 3.1 (playonline/hostmode)
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2015, 10:29:19 AM »
Sixth comment.....

On the opening splash screen, where you can click on the buttons for New Game, Load Game, Connect, or Play Online, the text states the following:
Click with the middle mouse button to center the board
I am not sure how your mouse is configured.  Clicking with the middle mouse button does nothing for me. 

I have a Logitech cordless mouse, not sure of the model.  Clicking with the wheel, which is the middle button, has no effect on the game.

What is needed to make this work?  Being able to center the board sounds very useful.

Thanks!
Robert Fielder
Brampton, Ontario, Canada  EST

Offline Hounk

• Baron
  • Merit: 15
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2015, 04:49:19 AM »
I'm by far not that good a player to be mentioned in line with Dan or MrNumbers (on a side note: I pronounce my nickname rather short, with the two vocals been put together and a little longer, similar to an ō, but it does not really matter, since the word has no proper meaning), however I think improving the AI might be a hard task. Personally I would prefer, to set priority extending the AI to other expansions, because it probably will never really compete with human opponents, but is good to make yourself familiar with the rules and tiles of the individual expansions, before playing them first time either on the table or the Internet.

The "farm hint bug" you described also appears regarding the "show last tiles" command. I would not consider it a big bug, because I use the shortcut, and by pressing it three times, the numbers will always appear, however it's good to mention it, maybe this is easy to fix.

Anyway, great new version. Screen shot option is very nice as well. But it seems, farin removed the Crop Circles II?

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 91
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2015, 05:15:40 AM »
But it seems, farin removed the Crop Circles II?

I see it in the list of available expansions (the last one).
"I never lose. Either I win or I learn." (Nelson Mandela)

Offline Hounk

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2015, 06:23:10 AM »
Ups, did not notice, that there is a scroll bar on the right. ::) Thanks. :(y)

Offline rfielder

• Marquis
  • Carcassonne Beginner
    • View Profile
    • Cool Country Nights
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2015, 06:55:38 AM »
I have the scroll bar as well, even on a 1920x1200 display.  Nothing is hidden, so I am not sure why a scroll bar is needed.

In any case, yet another reason to upgrade to a 4K monitor!   :)

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2015, 10:00:24 AM »
What scrollbar are you talking about? I don't have it on simple HD monitor (1920x1080).
It appears only after reducing the window.

Offline Hounk

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2015, 10:18:43 AM »
Well, my old laptop monitor is set on 1440x900 and it has the scrollbar. No problem at all, I just did not notice it before, because on 3.0.2 without M&W everything just fitted on the screen, and it looked like, everything should still be visible with one more line.

Offline farin

• Duke
  • Merit: 44
  • JCloisterZone maintainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2015, 01:27:58 PM »
Hi

a lot of comments are here, I will try to answer them all

- Is there any limit to the number of games that can take place concurrently on the public webserver?
- I don't know about it (of course there must be some, but if there is not some error it should be quite high)

- How does one start JCZ under Linux?
- same as windows, double click on jar (now it should have excutable bit, if not there is still Open With... option in context menu). Or from console java -jar JCloisterZone.jar

- the ending scoreboard can not be closed.  It can be minimized using the arrow in the corner, but you can't make it go away.  Is there a reason for this?
- Hard to be all satisfied :) I recived complains about 'scoreborad can't be shown again after unwanted close`:) The fact is not much reason for permanent close. I want to rather improve rather docking look. In future there should be more dockable panels (like requested Score log)

- projected points
- some  discussion about this feature is here https://github.com/farin/JCloisterZone/pull/70 - shortly, i changed original implementation slightly but ther I must admit that that original fatsu's
point counting (immediately ended game) is only reasonable
placement instead of nick - i didn't find better place, a nickname is less useful. Changing size of player panel didn't looks well (and score doesn't fit whole line, so there was also problem how to layout it not look it bad)

- Show Farm Hints -> issue created https://github.com/farin/JCloisterZone/issues/106

-Undo and auto turn end
- I will probably remove auto end, as you said, it is inconsistent, works bad together with Undo and has not much importance at all. I want to also add optional manual turn end with posibility to undo meeple placement.

- The final scoreboard has two buttons - Leave Game, and Play Again., I would like to suggest a third button - New Game.
- Why not. There is space for it and it can be usaed option (you have still Ctrl+N and menu item, but people likes buttons :) -> https://github.com/farin/JCloisterZone/issues/107

- middle button works for me, i have no much option how investigate your case. Probably only option is try to debug it yourself.

- Improving AI
- Hard task with uncertain result. That's reason I always postpone it :) Supporting only some expansions is kind of hack due to lack of time spent on it. So some partial improvements are possible but it's quite uncertain.

- scrollbar
- seems there are unnecessary margins around causing scrollbar visible to early -> issue created

Offline Hounk

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2015, 02:59:32 PM »
I now had a game with AI and found some particular faults, which might (or might not) be easier to improve.

I wanted to get some practice on Tower and Phantoms and played a two player game including I&C and T&B. The major thing is, that the AI seems not to know, what tiles are still in the game, so tile counting, something an AI might be considered 100% accurate to do and therefore in advantage of the human brain, is not the case. I created a gap in the wall of a cathedral city, which needed a cffr to be filled, and even though there was not a single fitting tile in the game right from start, Adda happily continued to extend the city.

The AI is not very good with Towers in general, wasting lots of meeples to block a tower while not wanting to waste a single piece to extend a tower without trapping a meeple. But this I think would be a minor problem, because it just applies to this one expansion, while the awareness, which tiles are in play could be useful to improve the AI in any combination of expansions.

Offline rfielder

• Marquis
  • Carcassonne Beginner
    • View Profile
    • Cool Country Nights
« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2015, 06:56:32 AM »
Farin - thanks for the responses!

Quote from: farin
- same as windows, double click on jar (now it should have excutable bit, if not there is still Open With... option in context menu). Or from console java -jar JCloisterZone.jar
Double clicking does not work.  Will try with the suggested command.

- Hard to be all satisfied :) I recived complains about 'scoreborad can't be shown again after unwanted close`:) The fact is not much reason for permanent close. I want to rather improve rather docking look. In future there should be more dockable panels (like requested Score log)
OK.

- some  discussion about this feature is here https://github.com/farin/JCloisterZone/pull/70 - shortly, i changed original implementation slightly but ther I must admit that that original fatsu's point counting (immediately ended game) is only reasonable placement instead of nick - i didn't find better place, a nickname is less useful. Changing size of player panel didn't looks well (and score doesn't fit whole line, so there was also problem how to layout it not look it bad)
I would really like to be able to see  both projected points, and nicknames, if there is a way.

- Show Farm Hints -> issue created https://github.com/farin/JCloisterZone/issues/106
When starting JCZ 3.1.0, it always has all three checked - farm hints, projected points, and last placements.  Always.  Even though none are active.  The initial state used to set the display seems to be reversed.

- middle button works for me, i have no much option how investigate your case. Probably only option is try to debug it yourself.
Works for my GF, although it does not always centre the board.  Does not work for me.  What is the code your mouse is sending?  I usually set the middle button/wheel click to be a double click, which may be why it does not work for me.

- Hard task with uncertain result. That's reason I always postpone it :) Supporting only some expansions is kind of hack due to lack of time spent on it. So some partial improvements are possible but it's quite uncertain.
Please, take your time with this one.  Let me enjoy winning a game once in a while!  :)

Offline Safari

• Count
  • Merit: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2015, 05:41:17 PM »
I had the pleasure to play some Carcassonne games with the new online mode and would like to inform you about some bugs. But first of all: Thank you very very much! First for this great computer application of our beloved game and second for the incredible online option! Finally I could convince a friend of mine that Carcassonne is a great game. I only could do it with JCZ.

But here my bug report:
-We found out, that sometimes, when using the chat function, the program interrupts the server connection and tells you "You are not connected to..." (don't know the details any more). So one has to start the JCZ again.
- Then we wanted to play with the tunnel expansion, but there is something wrong with the tunnel tokens. In our two player game I was given two violet tokens and two green ones. And the other player had his colour ones (blue) and also two green ones!
And another problem occurred (not sure if this correlates with the proceeding problem): My friend wanted to enter the game, but when I started the game and left the settings surface, I could see everything (points, tiles, ... properly), but he couldn't see anything except for the bar on the right side, with the overview of the points.
- Third problem: Already the second time now, our game stopped when there where another two tiles left to play. I add a picture of the final screen, maybe this might help you to find out more about the problem.
Safari

(\__/)
 (O.o )
 (> < )
 This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.

Offline farin

• Duke
  • Merit: 44
  • JCloisterZone maintainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2015, 02:20:57 PM »
Safarin:
tunnel token's are ok - accordign to rules in two player game you have two set's of tokens
about your other issues -  do you play with direct connection or though online server?

(my guess is that you have unstable network connection - and jcz don't automatically reconnect - which should be definitely improved)

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2015, 02:26:29 PM »
tunnel token's are ok - according to rules in two player game you have two set's of tokens

I think Safari was talking about this (emphasis added):
In our two player game I was given two violet tokens and two green ones. And the other player had his colour ones (blue) and also two green ones!

Offline Safari

• Count
  • Merit: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2015, 05:21:39 PM »
Safarin:
tunnel token's are ok - accordign to rules in two player game you have two set's of tokens
about your other issues -  do you play with direct connection or though online server?

(my guess is that you have unstable network connection - and jcz don't automatically reconnect - which should be definitely improved)
We play via online server. It was quite strange. He wrote me something and suddenly was offline. Then he closed the game, reopened it and everything was fine again. Then, 10 minutes later, I wanted to write something, pressed "enter" and --> went offline. So I had to close the program and reopen it and everything was fine again. So we decided not to write anything anymore and we had no connection problem any more for the rest of the game (two hours).

tunnel token's are ok - according to rules in two player game you have two set's of tokens

I think Safari was talking about this (emphasis added):
In our two player game I was given two violet tokens and two green ones. And the other player had his colour ones (blue) and also two green ones!

Ehm, yes. That's the point. I tried the tunnels again and found out that JCZ knows which two green tokens belong together, so no big deal. Oh, wait. Now I found out something: For the two player game every player has two specific colours that don't change (eg Red has red and yellow) and if the other player choses yellow, the tunnel tokens of red don't change colour.

Do you also have an idea why the game ended with two tiles left to play ("2" in the top right corner)?

Offline Hounk

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2015, 03:01:28 AM »
I think, I might have found out the issue with your "2 tiles bug". You might have played with the GQ expansion? In this there are two River-tiles, which are not played, when not playing one of the River expansions. But they are still counted.

EDIT: Yes, you did play with GQ. I spotted the pig farm below the two German monasteries with 28 and 29 points.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 03:08:39 AM by Hounk »

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
The Flying Machines 2 for JCloisterZone

Started by Snearone

1 Replies
Last post June 20, 2022, 03:19:21 PM
by Bumsakalaka
xx
Abbey and Mayor playing against JCloisterZone

Started by loki

4 Replies
Last post May 25, 2015, 02:27:57 PM