Author Topic: Carcassonne: Expansion N°10 Under the Big Top / Manege frei  (Read 88647 times)

Offline Willem

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 118
  • Keeper of the Carcassonne Museum
    • View Profile
    • The Carcassonne Museum
Re: Carcassonne: Expansion N°10 Under the Big Top / Manege frei
« Reply #60 on: January 24, 2017, 08:22:01 AM »
It looks nice, and might be compatible with both editions... I have the Watchtowers, and play it in the old art game. Its a bit weird to see, but it does work.
So hopefully the same will go with this expansion!
Join me on the journey through the history and oddities of Carcassonne, on My Instagram
1 0 days since i've bought more Carcassonne

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
  • Merit: 127
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 27, 2017, 03:54:22 PM »
HiG has posted the cover of the expansions box on their homepage:

http://www.hans-im-glueck.de/news/newsdetails/news/manege_frei/

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #62 on: January 27, 2017, 04:08:08 PM »
HiG has posted the cover of the expansions box on their homepage:

http://www.hans-im-glueck.de/news/newsdetails/news/manege_frei/

In general, I'm not very interested in Carcassonne expansion box art, because I have the Basically Wooden boxes and so I don't even keep the expansion boxes. That said, I don't like this box art. It just doesn't look and feel like Carcassonne.

Offline dirk2112

• Baron
  • Merit: 43
  • Filled with caffeine and hyperbole
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 27, 2017, 06:49:48 PM »
I agree it doesn't look like Carcassonne.  It reminds me of the Carnival Games (Wii game) cover. 

In general, I'm not very interested in Carcassonne expansion box art, because I have the Basically Wooden boxes and so I don't even keep the expansion boxes. That said, I don't like this box art. It just doesn't look and feel like Carcassonne.

Have we ever had a Favouritism Poll about the V1 expansion box artwork?  I don't think we have. 

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #64 on: January 28, 2017, 12:12:40 AM »
The animal rights activists wont like the box art.  I'm pretty sure bears can't smile.

I'm hoping the pyramid building mentioned isn't a dexterity game.

Offline thodekey

• Count
  • Merit: 9
  • I feel Carc-complete or do I?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 28, 2017, 12:33:08 AM »
For sale in march 2017...
Still keen to see the new artwork inside the box and to learn the new game mechanics...will there be a bear meeple?

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #66 on: January 28, 2017, 01:54:38 AM »
The animal rights activists wont like the box art.  I'm pretty sure bears can't smile.

I'm not an activist but since I don't eat animals, that's definitely one of the reasons I don't like the art. Although it's 'just a game' and it's set in a different era, public opinion in our time is definitely shifting away from holding animals captive in zoos and especially circuses (e.g. the closure of the famous Ringing Bros. circus this month after public opinion forced them to remove elephants last year), so the theme of this expansion seems a little out of touch to me.

Offline thodekey

• Count
  • Merit: 9
  • I feel Carc-complete or do I?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 28, 2017, 02:05:03 AM »
Allthough i agree circus animals have a sad life and it's a good thing that changes , we should see this expansion -as the rest of Carcassonne-  in the middle ages...animal rights weren' that much of an issue those days...

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #68 on: January 28, 2017, 02:24:57 AM »
Allthough i agree circus animals have a sad life and it's a good thing that changes , we should see this expansion -as the rest of Carcassonne-  in the middle ages...animal rights weren' that much of an issue those days...

Sure, that's why I included qualifiers in my post. But we've seen before that even when games are set in the past, if a social reality of that past that is included in the game is no longer seen as appropriate in our times, there can be a backlash against it (I'm referring specifically to the removal of the slave cards from Five Tribes). But I don't want to hijack the thread. Carry on.

Offline Fritz_Spinne

• Authors
  • Viscount
  • Merit: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 28, 2017, 12:59:29 PM »
For sale in march 2017...
Still keen to see the new artwork inside the box and to learn the new game mechanics...will there be a bear meeple?

There will be no animalmeeple (animeeple), but 16 animal token.

Offline Whaleyland

• Great Khan
  • Global Moderator
  • Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 101
  • Toulouse: Carcassonne's insignificant neighbor.
    • View Profile
    • Derek R. Whaley, PhD | Librarian, Historian, and Writer
« Reply #70 on: January 28, 2017, 03:18:21 PM »
I showed this box to my partner and she replied: "Yeah, nope." My thoughts exactly. While the expansion mechanics seem interesting, the cover is pretty atrocious and looks like something out of many other games but not Carcassonne. It just looks terrible and so impractical. It's like they've learned nothing since The Catapult. And sealions did not perform in shows in the Middle Ages. Sorry. Just didn't happen.

Reading the caption text, it literally sounds like a ridiculous expansion—knights, highwaymen, and farmers are chasing the circus? That's just dumb. Don't they have better things to do? And making meeple pyramids may be an acceptable mechanic in the game, but it sounds so dumb I can't help but laugh. I'm definitely taking a wait-and-see approach on this, especially since it uses the new art.

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 28, 2017, 04:34:11 PM »
I don't mind it as much as some people seem to, but my biggest gripe is with the circus master guy who looks to be wearing a wooden hat? Is that a wooden hat? My mum always told me never to trust anyone wearing a wooden hat. He's up to no good, you mark my words... :-\

EDIT: If you look closer you can tell that the bear, the monkey and the elephant are all in on his scheme, but the sealion has spotted something up his sleeve and is starting to have doubts about the whole circus thing

EDIT 2: And that pyramid in the background isn't as impressive as it could be. You can see that the guy on the top is stretching up really high to make it look bigger than it really is, but there's only 3 people which isn't that impressive and they know it. If there were 5 I'd consider buying this, but I once had someone sitting on my shoulders who also had someone else sitting on his shoulders and we weren't even a circus! I know it's only a small point in comparison to the wooden hat, but it all adds up ???
« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 04:42:58 PM by danisthirty »

Offline ozgurceylan

• Villein
  • Merit: 5
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 29, 2017, 03:58:19 AM »
I'm hoping the pyramid building mentioned isn't a dexterity game.

I don't think and I hope it isn't a dexterity game. I think there will be three-follower pyramids. Because there were two spots to place followers to the base of the pyramids in demo photos (see the photo attached). I tried to make pyramids so much times it's stable and I don't think it will be a dexterity kind of thing.

My opinion is that one player could place a follower to any pyramid base if he/she didn't place any on his/her turn. If a three-follower pyramid is completed all players in this pyramid divides and scores points. So if a player started a pyramid, the others would like to place a follower on the pyramid instead of placing one on the tile that they just played (in order to divide and share the points and get quicker points)
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 04:01:11 AM by ozgurceylan »

Offline ARabidMeerkat

• Count
  • Merit: 2
  • To play or not to play... that is the question!
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 29, 2017, 12:26:17 PM »
I'm definitely taking a wait-and-see approach on this, especially since it uses the new art.

Ditto that! I might have come round to the idea of using Carc 2 expansions with Carc 1, but it's really only for the potentially few more mini expansions. I won't spend money on an expansion I already own.
If only I had another Halfling.....

Offline Rich_The_Fish

• Marquis
  • Merit: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 01, 2017, 11:12:28 PM »
Here's a photo showing some of the contents (from BGG)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
The 10th expansion (Under the Big Top) - poll

Started by jungleboy

32 Replies
Last post May 06, 2017, 12:56:54 PM
by jungleboy
xx
WTS or Trade: Expansion 10 - Under the Big Top (Factory Sealed)

Started by asp204

0 Replies
Last post April 04, 2018, 11:17:25 AM
by asp204
question
Under the Big Top question

Started by carca82

24 Replies
Last post October 05, 2022, 08:41:01 AM
by Bumsakalaka
xx
@CundCo-Shop: Under The Big Top - Ringmasters in alternative colors