Author Topic: Carcassonne: Expansion N°10 Under the Big Top / Manege frei  (Read 89596 times)

Offline dirk2112

• Baron
  • Merit: 43
  • Filled with caffeine and hyperbole
    • View Profile
Re: Carcassonne: Expansion N°10 Under the Big Top / Manege frei
« Reply #45 on: December 30, 2016, 03:57:23 AM »
• PresetM thinks this will become one of the best expansions.

I hope PresetM is right. 

I am thinking we had fairs and bazaars, both of which sit on the bottom of my Carcassonne expansions list.  Now we are getting circuses.  I suppose the future holds the possibility of Amusement parks and carnivals.

Maybe I would be more excited it their were new lion meeples to feed the abbots to.

Offline stalcupojoy

• Count
  • Merit: 21
  • คาคาร์ซอนน์ fan in Thailand
    • View Profile
    • Michael Stalcup (Poet)
« Reply #46 on: December 30, 2016, 05:44:06 AM »
lol Decar, I remember that one. :) I guess bad things happen when Google Translate tries to treat my English as German and translate it into English. :))
Fan Expansions: Fiefs | Labyrinths | Schoolhouses | Vistas
Poetry Website: michaelstalcup.com

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #47 on: December 30, 2016, 05:47:15 AM »
It did make me laugh - it's probably how Google interprets the Metadata for that page.... definitely lots of Carcass and Carcassonne on this page....best put that in the databanks for future searches :)

@Dirk: On the plus-side Amusement Parks often had 'freak-shows' - a place for all those broken or misshapen meeple to go... or the Abbot :)

Offline stalcupojoy

• Count
    • View Profile
    • Michael Stalcup (Poet)
« Reply #48 on: December 30, 2016, 06:07:35 AM »
Quote from: stalcupojoy
I would like to have a carcass, a carcass, a carcass, a carcass, a carcass, a carcass, a carcass, a carcass and a carcass.

Wow, this is possibly the most morbid quote that's ever been atttributed to me. ;D I feel like I don't know myself anymore. Hahaha.

I am thinking we had fairs and bazaars, both of which sit on the bottom of my Carcassonne expansions list.  Now we are getting circuses.  I suppose the future holds the possibility of Amusement parks and carnivals.

Carcassonne-on-Tour 2017 Mini-expansion: The Roller Coasters Roller Coasters in Germany
« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 06:42:44 AM by stalcupojoy, Reason: I forgot. It has to be in Germany. »

Offline dirk2112

• Baron
  • Merit: 43
  • Filled with caffeine and hyperbole
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 30, 2016, 07:30:34 AM »

@Dirk: On the plus-side Amusement Parks often had 'freak-shows' - a place for all those broken or misshapen meeple to go... or the Abbot :)

I will now refer to the "ring master" as "the bearded lady" in all future posts.

Carcassonne-on-Tour 2017 Mini-expansion: The Roller Coasters Roller Coasters in Germany

I would buy that. 

Offline Hounk

• Baron
  • Merit: 15
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 30, 2016, 09:18:21 AM »
• PresetM thinks this will become one of the best expansions.

I hope PresetM is right.
It seems, PresetM was one of the playtesters, and he really enjoyed it. Time will tell, but I doubt, I will share his opinion. Based on what he told so far, it seems rather a wonky expansion to me.

Offline PresetM

• Labourer
  • Merit: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 30, 2016, 06:18:32 PM »
• 1 Circus Tent wooden figure [same figure as the tent in Hunters & Gatherers – painted in unspecified stripes]
I did not write that the tent will have stripes. The tent you see in the background is only a placeholder for the tent that will be delivered. We all know, all figures that available in Carcassonne games shows only one single color. Udo told me that it is not decided which color the tent will have. My suggestion is a light red color for the tent.

Regarding the new tiles: all tiles you see in the picture (artist tiles and circus tent tiles) are placeholders. For the placeholder were used the Watchtower tiles and for the artist tiles some modified cloister tiles).

• The 10th expansion is a feast for strategists since it requires strategy to obtain the maximum bonus points.
If you play carefully, it is really complicated to decide where to place every tile and meeple to obtain the maximum points. I like this expansion. :)

I must say, the third page of the aforementioned topic is quite sad. In short, it seems that HiG is leaning towards (or has already declared?) banning the creation of original-art (Carc I) version of its Carc II-only expansions (e.g. Gardens, the Watchtowers, and this upcoming 10th expansion). German speakers, am I understanding PresetM's post right?
Sorry stalcupojoy, no.

The true story is this one:
In the past I have created for "The Abbot" and "The Watchtowers" two expansions for the classic Carcassonne. At the time when I designed the Watchtower tiles it comes to my mind that this "copying" of an original Carcassonne expansion is possibly a copyright infringement. Short time later Ratz65 started his conversion of the old GQ#11 expansion into the the layout of Carcassonne II. It seems to me the best to ask HiG about all these conversions to get the permission to do such conversions.
I know, HiG has discussed the matter, but until now I don't get a definite answer from the executive director of HiG.
So please don't panic. Let us wait for the result first.
BTW, I think, some guys on CarcF have a very low understanding of copyright infringements and such things, so the discussion in the CarcF forum goes a little wild in my opinion...

It seems, PresetM was one of the playtesters
Sorry, no, I'm not a playtester. I only had the luck and the opportunity to play this expansion one time before release.
I love games that involve a deeper thinking (for example the asian "Go" game). And in this expansion is more stategic thinking included as in many other Carcassonne expansions. Of course, some will like this expansion, other will not. This is OK.

« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 06:24:44 PM by PresetM »

Offline Whaleyland

• Great Khan
  • Global Moderator
  • Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 101
  • Toulouse: Carcassonne's insignificant neighbor.
    • View Profile
    • Derek R. Whaley, PhD | Librarian, Historian, and Writer
« Reply #52 on: December 30, 2016, 11:02:23 PM »
• 1 Circus Tent wooden figure [same figure as the tent in Hunters & Gatherers – painted in unspecified stripes]
I did not write that the tent will have stripes. The tent you see in the background is only a placeholder for the tent that will be delivered. We all know, all figures that available in Carcassonne games shows only one single color. Udo told me that it is not decided which color the tent will have. My suggestion is a light red color for the tent.
Sorry! Misunderstanding from the Google Translation. It sounded like you were describing alternating colours. I do remember something about light red, though.

Offline stalcupojoy

• Count
    • View Profile
    • Michael Stalcup (Poet)
« Reply #53 on: December 31, 2016, 06:20:24 AM »
I must say, the third page of the aforementioned topic is quite sad. In short, it seems that HiG is leaning towards (or has already declared?) banning the creation of original-art (Carc I) version of its Carc II-only expansions (e.g. Gardens, the Watchtowers, and this upcoming 10th expansion). German speakers, am I understanding PresetM's post right?
Sorry stalcupojoy, no.

The true story is this one:
In the past I have created for "The Abbot" and "The Watchtowers" two expansions for the classic Carcassonne. At the time when I designed the Watchtower tiles it comes to my mind that this "copying" of an original Carcassonne expansion is possibly a copyright infringement. Short time later Ratz65 started his conversion of the old GQ#11 expansion into the the layout of Carcassonne II. It seems to me the best to ask HiG about all these conversions to get the permission to do such conversions.
I know, HiG has discussed the matter, but until now I don't get a definite answer from the executive director of HiG.
So please don't panic. Let us wait for the result first.

To quote whaleyland: "Sorry! Misunderstanding from Google Translation." :) Thank you for clarifying. :(y)

Offline DrMeeple

• Baron
  • Merit: 33
  • I mix expansions at my own risk.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 03, 2017, 10:24:16 PM »
I think that this expansion will be compatible with both... And I think that 10th expansion will be the last for the old version too... RIP... so sad for me...
I mix expansions at my own risk.

Offline DIN0

• Viscount
  • Merit: 37
  • Carcassonne is only complete with 11th expansion:)
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 04, 2017, 02:31:40 AM »
I think that this expansion will be compatible with both... And I think that 10th expansion will be the last for the old version too... RIP... so sad for me...
If only you were right  :'(

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
  • Merit: 127
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 04, 2017, 09:47:00 AM »
This 10th expansion for Carcassonne will come only in the CC II New Edition. That means the graphic artist is Anne Pätzke and not Doris Matthäus.

Offline Ry4Christ

• Vassal
  • Merit: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 04, 2017, 11:03:03 AM »
This 10th expansion for Carcassonne will come only in the CC II New Edition. That means the graphic artist is Anne Pätzke and not Doris Matthäus.

So it is confirmed  :'(  Can you confirm whether or not there any mini expansions left to be released in the original art style?

Offline LaPorxada (aka BigBoss)

• Count
  • Merit: 28
  • updated 2022
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 04, 2017, 11:39:44 AM »

So it is confirmed  :'(  Can you confirm whether or not there any mini expansions left to be released in the original art style?

I can confirm nothing about the Minis....but I don`t think so, because the Labyrinth was the last Mini released in old & new art style.
Japanese Temples, Watchtowers & the Festival 15 are only released in the new art style.

But maybe there are still surprises this year  :neutral-meeple:
I'm looking for:
● Carcassonne shopdisplays (esp.dicegame.+ Minis ger.)
● Carcassonne Στα Κάστρα του Μυστρά (2002) Greek first edition
● Carcassonne - chinese Sur knight kings editions
● ETCOC / WTCOC 2020 commemorative tiles
& more -> https://ibb.co/cCcm4SB

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
  • Merit: 127
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 05, 2017, 12:32:38 PM »
The 10th expansion will give complete new elements, figures and game mechanics for Carcassonne. I think it is worth to give it a chance.

At the "Spielwarenmesse" in Nuremberg HiG will introduce this new expansion to the business public. I hope that we will get some more photos and with the new landscape tiles, tokens and figures. The exhibition is from 1.2.-6.2.2017.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
WTS or Trade: Expansion 10 - Under the Big Top (Factory Sealed)

Started by asp204

0 Replies
Last post April 04, 2018, 11:17:25 AM
by asp204
xx
The 10th expansion (Under the Big Top) - poll

Started by jungleboy

32 Replies
Last post May 06, 2017, 12:56:54 PM
by jungleboy
xx
@CundCo-Shop: Under The Big Top - Ringmasters in alternative colors