Author Topic: Collaborative Carcassonne  (Read 14934 times)

Offline Hproctor1478

• Villein
  • Merit: 0
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
Re: Collaborative Carcassonne
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2018, 02:48:33 PM »
This sounds like so much fun.  I can’t wait to see how everyone thinks about placement!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Halfling

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 49
  • Welcome tournament 2015 winner.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2018, 09:19:32 AM »
Will JCZ be used to decide tile order?
The Geek shall inherit the earth if we get a good die role

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2018, 08:13:19 AM »
Quite right wolnic. Deciding how to place every tile would seem too much like a solo project, and could take a very long time to complete the game as you pointed out.

We would just be playing as one player (blue) against 3 AI players who won't be reading this thread or getting any insight into whatever plans we may be making.

Offline Rich_The_Fish

• Marquis
  • Merit: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2018, 08:15:48 AM »
 emoji code1]

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2018, 02:20:38 AM »
OK, we're ready to go...

The playing order was determined randomly (:red-meeple: :green-meeple: :yellow-meeple: :blue-meeple:), and we drew the short straw by going last :( The main drawback here being that we get one turn less than the other players (17 tiles to place rather than 18).

So our starting position is pictured above and it's quite an interesting one! I see 7 places we could put our somewhat uninspiring frfr tile, but 4 of them serve mostly to give points to Green or Yellow for little to no worthwhile benefit so it's probably best to avoid those. The other option (immediately to the west of the green meeple) just seems like a waste of a turn though, which isn't necessarily a bad thing given the circumstance but I feel like more can be done.

So then, down to business. I think my preferred placement is immediately north of the yellow meeple, and to claim the road with the hope of joining to Yellow's road and eventually completing it for 6 points each. It isn't a significant feature at this stage of the game, but if it does get completed it gives us and Yellow a nice little boost over Red and Green hence why I think it's worth the investment. Plus of course, at this stage of the game it's likely/ possible that others will add to our road as a consequence of them placing their own tiles, purely because of the limited placement opportunities.

Those are my thoughts. What are yours? There are no right or wrong answers, as long as you can justify your preference based on what we can see in front of us so have a look, have a think, and post away! :) :(y)

Offline wolnic

• Authors
  • Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 207
  • Ummm and Ahhh! Can't decide!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2018, 02:44:42 AM »
Given the limited number of times a meeple can be used in a 4-player game, is it worth placing it with a farmer on it, even at this early stage? For example, extending green's road down and placing the meeple on the field with the part city in it, as this opens up scope to extend the field later.
AutumnForest (C2), Catch Of The Day (C1/2/WD), Cliffs&W'falls (C1/2), Coast (C1/2), FishHuts (C2), Fluvium (C2), NewForest (C2), Harvest (C1/2), Stone Circles (C1/2), Wells (C2), Jordan River 2 (AotC), River I/II (GR)
Devt: Sakura (C2), WinterEdge (C1), WinterCoast (WD/WE) and others

Offline TheSteveAllen

• Marquis
  • Merit: 25
  • Power to the Meeple!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2018, 02:45:38 AM »
My immediate thought would be to place it to the west of the green meeple and claim the road. This means that another placement of a tile to the north would restrict the possibility of red completing the city even further, leading to possible entrapment, along with adding a boundary to the size of the field in the centre.

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2018, 03:32:41 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions wolnic and Steve!

Suggested options so far:

I won't usually place a farmer on a 0-point farm unless I intend for him to glom onto something more valuable, but there's definitely scope for this field to grow and it could pay to have an early farmer down.

I also like what Steve has suggested in terms of trying to shut Red down a bit. There's no guarantee that others will take the bait and tighten the trap of course, and there's even a risk that our road here could be pointed into the city and a cfrf gap created immediately to the west of Red's meeple. Even if this did happen however, the other end could still be extended to add points.

What do others think?

Offline Maj. Frost

• Nobleman
  • Merit: 12
  • Sit down and play
    • View Profile
    • My Carcassonne Blog
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2018, 03:39:55 AM »
+1 For Wolnic
I would follow the same logic, but putting it right of green, just under yellow.

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2018, 03:48:00 AM »
+1 For Wolnic
I would follow the same logic, but putting it right of green, just under yellow.

:(y)

Why there rather than on the other side though? Maybe it isn't of concern, but I think it is kinder to Green by placing the tile under Yellow's meeple as he has a better chance of joining his road to Yellow's road here.

Offline Rosco

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 41
  • Racing, and playing hard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2018, 04:18:52 AM »
No need for kindness in my opinion.  I would go with option 1.  I wouldn't add to someone else's road at this stage and Steve's option risks entrapment of our meeple.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Just lay the damn tile!

Offline TheSteveAllen

• Marquis
  • Merit: 25
  • Power to the Meeple!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2018, 04:19:43 AM »
I am doing this quickly while I am at work, so I am distracted a little. However, I see that red is to play next, and he is being forced to play onto the city this time around to avoid getting trapped. He has 25 possible tiles that will go there CFRR x 3, CCFF x 5+2, CCCF x 4, CFCF x 3+3 and CFFF x 5. Of these we have 3 that leave us with a road for the next tile to the north and 10 leaving us with a city. I he gets any other tile, we have another chance to trap the red meeple.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 04:49:31 AM by TheSteveAllen »

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2018, 06:00:43 AM »
id play below the start tile and look to share the road with green

Offline Jéré

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 62
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2018, 06:19:35 AM »
Thanks for your email Dan, I'm now "watching" the thread.

Without looking at the other proposals my choice was option 1. What I usually try to do in a 4-player game is to build a feature with another player to share the points, and really hope this other player will not try to fight for the majority (can happen with inexperienced or AI players)

Yes, an early farmer is always an option in a 4-player game but the current situation does not convince me to go down that path. Early does not necessarily mean the very first turn for me.

I would not extent somebody else's feature either unless it would allow me to place a farmer to tie/win a large field or similar situation where I could join/close a large feature.

Not related to current situation but worth mentioning: Monasteries are very valuable in 4-player games.

Offline Halfling

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 49
  • Welcome tournament 2015 winner.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2018, 07:56:13 AM »
Either option 1 or Decar's option 4. I will want to glom into the road of the opponent I fear most. Too early for farming in my opinion.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Carcassonne & Co. Newsletter - announcing a new "Spiel '14" Carcassonne tile

Started by wamboyil

60 Replies
Last post January 20, 2015, 04:39:08 PM
by eddebaby
xx
CARCASSONNE IN PAIRS (an original idea from carcassonne.cat)

Started by DrMeeple

14 Replies
Last post January 11, 2022, 06:52:18 AM
by DrMeeple
xx
Carcassonne Event in Carcassonne 10-11 September 2022

Started by Willem

3 Replies
Last post August 19, 2022, 02:11:03 AM
by Lobo
xx
Carcassonne 3.0 - Nebel über Carcassonne(Taiwan)

Started by jacky1st2016

1 Replies
Last post June 28, 2023, 11:58:23 PM
by Decar
smiley
[WTT] Carcassonne almost everything for Carcassonne dice game shopdisplay

Started by LaPorxada (aka BigBoss)

4 Replies
Last post December 13, 2023, 08:40:34 AM
by LaPorxada (aka BigBoss)