Author Topic: how many players who download the fan made tiles actually print and use them?  (Read 20068 times)

Gerry

I was just wondering how many players who download the fan made tiles actually complete the job by placing them on Carcassonne tiles and use them in play.   I must confess that I enthusiastically download the tile pdfs then run out of steam when it comes to printing them on an adhesive label and attaching them to game tiles.

I do not have a colour printer so I have to trot along to the local Staples and have them laser printed.  They do an excellent job but it is pricey.  I have only done this once with the river tiles download.  Of course at that time I was unaware that the Count expansion included the River expansion.  The manufacturer should really do a better job of advertising that fact .

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=975.0
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 12:18:58 PM by MrNumbers »

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
  • Merit: 127
    • View Profile
I have only done this once with the river tiles download.  Of course at that time I was unaware that the Count expansion included the River expansion.  The manufacturer should really do a better job of advertising that fact .

Here are the links to HiG and ZMG, there you can find a description what pieces are inside the box of that expansion, also the official rules are there online:

HiG - published in 2007: Graf, König und Konsorten
ZMG - published in 2013: Count, King & Robber

Offline Whaleyland

• Great Khan
  • Global Moderator
  • Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 101
  • Toulouse: Carcassonne's insignificant neighbor.
    • View Profile
    • Derek R. Whaley, PhD | Librarian, Historian, and Writer
I glued them on and it worked well enough.

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 86
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
The official tiles themselves vary a lot. :@

Two versions of the base game for example. The Scandinavian version has a more darker colour texture and the edges are sharper, completely squared even. Compared to the Enigma version with the more rounded corners and much brighter grass.

The Plague tiles height is significantly higher. These stand out from the pile as well. I use the Tower now open end facing away from players so they can't see the two heaps in the tower.

Then there's the road mis-match, a faux pas due to the way these tiles are pre-cut. Understandable as it reduced the costs for producing the tiles.

In smaller games it may not stand out a lot, maybe not even thought about it with the megaCarc games either. It only shows quite significally when taking pictures with a camera (digitally or not). Most of my images posted here, for example.

The only real concern when printing the tiles is making sure you can't tell which is which when they all have the backside faced up.  :(y)
World record holder for a single game of Carcassonne using 10 007 tiles!

Gerry

I have only done this once with the river tiles download.  Of course at that time I was unaware that the Count expansion included the River expansion.  The manufacturer should really do a better job of advertising that fact .

Here are the links to HiG and ZMG, there you can find a description what pieces are inside the box of that expansion, also the official rules are there online:

HiG - published in 2007: Graf, König und Konsorten
ZMG - published in 2013: Count, King & Robber

Yes, but at the time I was relying on the information printed on the front of the box as displayed by Amazon and other online retailers.  They all showed the River II expansion as being sold out and never a word that it was included with the count expansion.

Offline frankdux

• Freeman
  • Merit: 1
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
I was just wondering how many players who download the fan made tiles actually complete the job by placing them on Carcassonne tiles and use them in play.   I must confess that I enthusiastically download the tile pdfs then run out of steam when it comes to printing them on an adhesive label and attaching them to game tiles.

In addition to several of my own fan-made expansions, i have downloaded and made (and enjoyed) tiles from the following fan made expansions:

Crater - This is a very fun, single tile mini-expansion.

Mills & Bakeries - This is an excellent new gameplay mechanic to add to the game. However, i ended up printing off and using twice the number of recommended mills. 5 just isn't enough for a game with 200+ tiles.

Wells - An almost necessary expansion that matches the use of pennants in cities with wells for road.

The King's Gate - A very fun, 2 tile mini-expansion potentially connecting two cities. This one is so fun i printed out a second version with another color of the portal so that we have two separate portals in play.

The Lake - I just use the tiles. I don't bother with all the tokens or the race to the lighthouse portion.

The Medieval Expansion - I play with the Gallows tiles.

Solazy's unofficial expansion - We use the Circle of Stones x2, Barracks x2, Outpost, and the Ranch.

Tactician - I really like the idea here, but i made my own tiles for it and slightly altered the rules so that everyone starts with one tactician tile, rather than earning it by not placing a follower down on their turn.

By The Order Of The King - This one doesn't actually require tiles, it's just a bunch of printable cards. I've also made several of my own cards and added them to the pile when we play.

All The Rest of the Tiles - This is a fantastic resource for printing out all those missing combinations that would fill in some otherwise impossible scenarios using just the base game plus a few official expansions. I've probably made about 25 of the tiles from this collection.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 11:25:25 AM by frankdux »

Offline mas9dj

• Nobleman
  • Merit: 7
    • View Profile
I use at least one fan expansion on almost every game. I have crafted mountains, Wells, roads to victory, fortune teller, trebuchet, easter bunny, seasons, by order of the King, mills and bakeries and have many on queue. I think they're great and I just can't get enough.

Some images:

Gotta catch 'em all

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
  • Merit: 127
    • View Profile
I have many of the fan-expansions in my collection.

Gerry

In addition to several of my own fan-made expansions, i have downloaded and made (and enjoyed) tiles from the following fan made expansions:

Mills & Bakeries - This is an excellent new gameplay mechanic to add to the game. However, i ended up printing off and using twice the number of recommended mills. 5 just isn't enough for a game with 200+ tiles.

Wells - An almost necessary expansion that matches the use of pennants in cities with wells for road.

The King's Gate - A very fun, 2 tile mini-expansion potentially connecting two cities. This one is so fun i printed out a second version with another color of the portal so that we have two separate portals in play.

The Lake - I just use the tiles. I don't bother with all the tokens or the race to the lighthouse portion.

Solazy's unofficial expansion - We use the Circle of Stones x2, Barracks x2, Outpost, and the Ranch.

Tactician - I really like the idea here, but i made my own tiles for it and slightly altered the rules so that everyone starts with one tactician tile, rather than earning it by not placing a follower down on their turn.

By The Order Of The King - This one doesn't actually require tiles, it's just a bunch of printable cards. I've also made several of my own cards and added them to the pile when we play.

All The Rest of the Tiles - This is a fantastic resource for printing out all those missing combinations that would fill in some otherwise impossible scenarios using just the base game plus a few official expansions. I've probably made about 25 of the tiles from this collection.

So I am guessing you are the reason that Carcassonne Shoppe is currently sold out on blank tiles :)

Offline rfielder

• Marquis
  • Merit: 10
  • Carcassonne Beginner
    • View Profile
    • Cool Country Nights
What is everyone using to print the tiles?

I have an Epson Artisan 800, which works well for everything except photos.  Guess it should work OK for these tiles....
Robert Fielder
Brampton, Ontario, Canada  EST

Offline frankdux

• Freeman
  • Merit: 1
    • View Profile

So I am guessing you are the reason that Carcassonne Shoppe is currently sold out on blank tiles :)

My bad! Yeah, i ordered seven sheets of tiles from them a few weeks ago. But i've also ordered from Z-man games and they have some in stock right now: http://zmangames.com/product-details.php?id=1502

Both sites are great, but the Carcassonne Shoppe has cheaper shipping for me.

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
Looks like they're still in stock at Cundco: www.cundco.de

Offline CKorfmann

• Authors
  • Count Chevalier
  • Merit: 39
  • Pigs are meeple too.
    • View Profile
I bought materials to make lots of tiles, but couldn't get the print quality I was satisfied with.  I stopped after about three dozen.
Flee the fleas.

Offline mas9dj

• Nobleman
  • Merit: 7
    • View Profile
I bought materials to make lots of tiles, but couldn't get the print quality I was satisfied with.  I stopped after about three dozen.

I go to a local printing shop near my house where they have many printers, among them a laser printer. I really recommend using a laser printer, original tiles and adhesive A4 sheets suitable for laser printing, the results you can see them above in my previous reply. So regarding printing, that's my advice, go somewhere where they have a nice laser printer. (Btw about pricing, here they will charge me like 0,4 euros each A4, a bit expensive but results are worth it)

Offline Carcking

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 33
  • I call Red!
    • View Profile
I go to a local printing shop near my house ...

I've often wondered about this - as to whether the print shops would have any issue with copyrights. I've never attempted to bring any print jobs there, but that's mainly because I am satisfied with the quality I get from my own printer. If I was doing a big job I would consider it though.
I just drew the perfect tile for my MonKnighThieFarmer!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
clip
Fan made expansions - I would like to hear more about them

Started by TheSteveAllen

11 Replies
Last post January 01, 2018, 03:41:49 AM
by jungleboy
xx
Where to people print fan-made tiles? How?

Started by robnhill

3 Replies
Last post March 25, 2017, 07:25:00 AM
by SupraLance
xx
Printing user made tiles, what to stick them on

Started by Gerry

2 Replies
Last post November 27, 2014, 06:04:20 PM
by Andrew the Ambo
xx
Are there players here who actually do play with the new edition (CC II)?

Started by Challa007

44 Replies
Last post November 25, 2021, 02:52:56 PM
by KBellon
xx
Do you use the frames or throw them away

Started by devonserden

3 Replies
Last post October 25, 2023, 01:38:28 PM
by Meepledrone