Author Topic: Questions  (Read 77585 times)

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 456
  • It is full of... Meeples!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Questions
« Reply #45 on: February 28, 2020, 11:10:50 PM »
63. What happens in a challenge, if the shrine and the monastery are occupied by you?

63: you get the points of the feature that wins the challenge

You can trigger a challenge between a monasteries and a shrine occupied both by you. As Murphy013 replied already, You will get the points from the winning feature.

The rules contemplate consider this case:
http://wikicarpedia.com/index.php/Count,_King_and_Robber#2._Placing_a_meeple_as_a_heretic
Questions about rules? Check WICA: wikicarpedia.com

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 28, 2020, 11:11:00 PM »
64. Can you score 2 or more [acrobat] pyramids in the same turn?

No, you can only score one acrobat pyramid per turn.

You can revisit the acrobat pyramid scoring here:
http://wikicarpedia.com/index.php/Under_the_Big_Top#3._Scoring_a_feature_2

As a result, you may not perform any of the following actions:
* Place a meeple (except the phantom) or special figure
* Remove a figure from the board:
   - Score your abbot
   - Remove a meeple trapped in a Russian Promo tile
   - Remove a figure with a Festival tile
* Place neutral figures or tokens:
   - Place a tower floor
   - Place a little building
   - Move the fairy
   - Place or move a tollhouse token 

On the other hand, after scoring the acrobat pyramid and removing all the acrobats in it, you could deploy the phantom as an acrobat if the tile just placed is adjacent to the acrobat pyramid you just scored.

Check the Order of Play for full details:
http://wikicarpedia.com/index.php/Order_of_Play

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 28, 2020, 11:23:02 PM »
It’s good to have questions but... why cannot you use WICA????  ???

Come on! Don't be like that. Some questions are great!... And some of them come from reading WICA too... So don't be so grumpy, this is a great proofreading exercise that helps improve it.

I'm having a great time.  ;D
It made me laugh when I got to this point in the thread!  ;D (I've just read it all. Quite a lot of it in skim mode, I'll admit.) It made me laugh not least because I thought something similar to DrMeeple when I was part way through the thread.

Meepledrone is right of course, there is so much joy to be had in proofreading! I'm serious, that's how I came up with all my recent suggestions for edits!

One question though for Carcassonne93, what's the context for your questions? How come you have so many all at once? Have you just inherited/bought a huge Carcassonne collection and you're starting from scratch? Or are these all the questions you've ever had over the years and you've only found CarcassonneCentral.com / WikiCarpedia? Maybe you could tell us your story by making a post over in Meet The Members?

My current theory is he bet a few beers with some friends that he could ask 93 questions about Carcassonne. ;)

I'm curious and amazed too.  :(y)

Offline wolnic

• Authors
  • Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 207
  • Ummm and Ahhh! Can't decide!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 29, 2020, 02:22:43 AM »
Could it be an alter ego of you know who, from the Christmas quiz?
AutumnForest (C2), Catch Of The Day (C1/2/WD), Cliffs&W'falls (C1/2), Coast (C1/2), FishHuts (C2), Fluvium (C2), NewForest (C2), Harvest (C1/2), Stone Circles (C1/2), Wells (C2), Jordan River 2 (AotC), River I/II (GR)
Devt: Sakura (C2), WinterEdge (C1), WinterCoast (WD/WE) and others

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 29, 2020, 03:00:10 AM »
Ha ha ha!

So true! I was thinking of a different type of quiz for the next Advent Calendar...  >:D

Offline cicerunner

• Duke
  • Merit: 5
  • 2020 meeple vision
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 29, 2020, 03:21:58 AM »
One question though for Carcassonne93, what's the context for your questions? How come you have so many all at once? Have you just inherited/bought a huge Carcassonne collection and you're starting from scratch? Or are these all the questions you've ever had over the years and you've only found CarcassonneCentral.com / WikiCarpedia? Maybe you could tell us your story by making a post over in Meet The Members?

My current theory is he bet a few beers with some friends that he could ask 93 questions about Carcassonne. ;)

I'm curious and amazed too.  :(y)
My bet is that the 93 is a year of birth.
I still can't imagine how one could amass so many questions at once.

Offline NGC 54

• Marquis
  • Merit: 10
  • HiG must provide clarifications for all expansions
    • View Profile
    • WikiCarpedia user page
« Reply #51 on: February 29, 2020, 02:48:44 PM »
1. “The rules for the Messages refer to “scoring rounds,” as all features scored in one “scoring round” are counted together, and only at the end of a “scoring round” is it determined if a follower is on a dark space.”
2. Q: “32.  The Messages: In the same turn: You have the meeple on 0. You score a city with 10 points. Now you have the meeple on 10. Then, you score 2 points for a road. Now you have the meeple on 12. Do you receive a message tile?”

A: “Yes, the idea of the scoring round and using two scoring figures is that maximize your odds to land on a dark space. In this case, your regular scoring round comprises the scoring of two features. The order you follow to score them grants you one landing on a dark space. Once you finish the scoring round you receive a message and proceed with it, maybe landing on a new dark space and receiving another message.“

Which is the correct answer?

I translate WikiCarpedia in Romanian (https://wikicarpedia.com/index.php/Main_Page/ro). I have 45,600+ edits at WICA. My WICA user page: https://wikicarpedia.com/index.php/User:NGC_54. Romanian translation of WICA: https://wikicarpedia.com/car/Special:LanguageStats?language=ro&x=D#sortable:3=desc.

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 29, 2020, 04:26:05 PM »
1. “The rules for the Messages refer to “scoring rounds,” as all features scored in one “scoring round” are counted together, and only at the end of a “scoring round” is it determined if a follower is on a dark space.”
2. Q: “32.  The Messages: In the same turn: You have the meeple on 0. You score a city with 10 points. Now you have the meeple on 10. Then, you score 2 points for a road. Now you have the meeple on 12. Do you receive a message tile?”

A: “Yes, the idea of the scoring round and using two scoring figures is that maximize your odds to land on a dark space. In this case, your regular scoring round comprises the scoring of two features. The order you follow to score them grants you one landing on a dark space. Once you finish the scoring round you receive a message and proceed with it, maybe landing on a new dark space and receiving another message.“

Which is the correct answer?

This is the missing piece of the clarification from 10/2014. It is correct.

You score all the features in a scoring round and you will see at the end if you receive a message, that is, at least one your scoring figures ended up on a dark space.

Let's assume that your scoring meeple and your messenger are on 0.

As per the "latest" clarifications, if you score the 12 points (10+2) with the same scoring figure, you won't get a message.

In order to get a message you should score 10 points with your scoring meeple and 2 with your messenger or vice versa. If so, one of your scoring figures would end up on a dark space and you would receive a message.

A: “Yes, the idea of the scoring round and using two scoring figures is that [you] maximize your odds to land on a dark space. In this case, your regular scoring round comprises the scoring of two features.

As per the "latest" clarifications, this hasn't changed.

The order you follow to score them grants you one landing on a dark space.

This would require an update: "The order you follow and the combination of scoring figures used to score them grants you one landing on a dark space."

Once you finish the scoring round you receive a message and proceed with it, maybe landing on a new dark space and receiving another message.“

The bottomline is that you will have to combine the use your scoring meeple and your messenger in a way that:
A) You order the scoring of your features in order to land on a dark space as frequently as possible...
B) If A) happens at the end of the scoring, you are done and you'll receive your message. 
C) If A) happens in the middle of scoring several features, you will secure your message by scoring the remaining features with your other scoring figure.

Does this all make sense to you?

Hope this helps!
, if one of them lands on a dark space, you will keep one on a dark space and count with the other the rest of the points.

Offline Swiggan

• Vagabond
  • Merit: 0
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 01, 2020, 03:12:29 PM »
Hi everyone - first time poster and I apologize for hijacking this thread a bit (it's been a fascinating read!) but I noticed something from Meepledrone that seems like it contradicts the current Order of Play on WICA:

(34): The robber receive 2 or 9 nine points?

If the robber is next to the scoring meeple of the player scoring the road and the fairy points, the robber would get 9 points for the road. The 2 points from the fairy bonus would be scored later once the robber is removed.

If the robber is next to the player scoring the castle (different from the one scoring the road), the robber would get the 9 points scored for the castle.

The normal order of scoring would be:
1. Score bonus points evaluated before the feature  -- Ignored by the castle
    - Watchowers (if the player has a meeple placed on the Watchtower tile of any road or city scored)
2. Score the feature including any modifiers and bonus points associated to the feature --- Scored by the castle
    - Inns (for roads)
    - Cathedrals (for cities)
    - Mage and Witch (for road and cities)
    - Little Buildings (for roads, cities, monastic buildings,...)
    - Bathhouses (for roads and cities)
    - Labyrinths advanced rules (for roads)
    - German Castles (for road and cities)
    - Darmstadtium (for cities)
    - Vineyards (for monastic buildings)
3. Score bonus points evaluated after the feature -- Ignored by the castle
    - 3-point fairy scoring bonus (for roads, cities, monastic buildings,...)
    - Teacher bonus (if the player has the Teacher)
    - Ringmaster points (for roads, cities, monastic buildings,...)
    - Darmstadt churches (if the player has the majority in the vicinity of the church)
    - Markets of Leipzig (bonus for roads, cities or monastic buildings, provided by the meeple in Leipzig)

If present, a robber may steal any of these points.

If multiple features are scored with the placement of one single tile, the player receiving the points decided the order they will be awarded, as indicated here (this is important so robbers get the least points  ;)):
http://wikicarpedia.com/index.php/The_Robbers#cite_note-7

I totally agree with keeping "bonuses" separate from "features" when it comes to determining how many points a castle is worth (I'm actually glad to read it, I saw another post from sometime last year that had the fairy, Leipzig, etc. bonuses factored into castle scoring and it threw me for a loop!) But the Order of Play has the 3-point fairy bonus coming in before the feature points are tallied, instead of after. Here it says it comes after points are scored, which could affect which points a robber gets to steal. Maybe that's something that's in the works to be updated on WICA, but it just struck me as an potential contradiction.

Again, sorry for derailing things a bit. Thank you!

Offline NGC 54

• Marquis
    • View Profile
    • WikiCarpedia user page
« Reply #54 on: March 01, 2020, 03:38:29 PM »
 This tile.

Offline Whaleyland

• Great Khan
  • Global Moderator
  • Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 101
  • Toulouse: Carcassonne's insignificant neighbor.
    • View Profile
    • Derek R. Whaley, PhD | Librarian, Historian, and Writer
« Reply #55 on: March 02, 2020, 12:18:05 AM »
This tile.

Not sure what the question is. It's a Garden surrounded by four separate Cities. Those Cities can stay separate or be combined, just like any other Cities. The Garden can be claimed by the Abbot or not, just like any Garden. The Field could also be claimed with a maximum of four Cities surrounding it.

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 02, 2020, 06:00:35 PM »
Hi everyone - first time poster and I apologize for hijacking this thread a bit (it's been a fascinating read!) but I noticed something from Meepledrone that seems like it contradicts the current Order of Play on WICA:

(34): The robber receive 2 or 9 nine points?

If the robber is next to the scoring meeple of the player scoring the road and the fairy points, the robber would get 9 points for the road. The 2 points from the fairy bonus would be scored later once the robber is removed.

If the robber is next to the player scoring the castle (different from the one scoring the road), the robber would get the 9 points scored for the castle.

The normal order of scoring would be:
1. Score bonus points evaluated before the feature  -- Ignored by the castle
    - Watchowers (if the player has a meeple placed on the Watchtower tile of any road or city scored)
2. Score the feature including any modifiers and bonus points associated to the feature --- Scored by the castle
    - Inns (for roads)
    - Cathedrals (for cities)
    - Mage and Witch (for road and cities)
    - Little Buildings (for roads, cities, monastic buildings,...)
    - Bathhouses (for roads and cities)
    - Labyrinths advanced rules (for roads)
    - German Castles (for road and cities)
    - Darmstadtium (for cities)
    - Vineyards (for monastic buildings)
3. Score bonus points evaluated after the feature -- Ignored by the castle
    - 3-point fairy scoring bonus (for roads, cities, monastic buildings,...)
    - Teacher bonus (if the player has the Teacher)
    - Ringmaster points (for roads, cities, monastic buildings,...)
    - Darmstadt churches (if the player has the majority in the vicinity of the church)
    - Markets of Leipzig (bonus for roads, cities or monastic buildings, provided by the meeple in Leipzig)

If present, a robber may steal any of these points.

If multiple features are scored with the placement of one single tile, the player receiving the points decided the order they will be awarded, as indicated here (this is important so robbers get the least points  ;)):
http://wikicarpedia.com/index.php/The_Robbers#cite_note-7

I totally agree with keeping "bonuses" separate from "features" when it comes to determining how many points a castle is worth (I'm actually glad to read it, I saw another post from sometime last year that had the fairy, Leipzig, etc. bonuses factored into castle scoring and it threw me for a loop!) But the Order of Play has the 3-point fairy bonus coming in before the feature points are tallied, instead of after. Here it says it comes after points are scored, which could affect which points a robber gets to steal. Maybe that's something that's in the works to be updated on WICA, but it just struck me as an potential contradiction.

Again, sorry for derailing things a bit. Thank you!

Hi Swiggan,

Welcome to the forum and thank you for your first post.

As you have pointed out there is a discrepancy between the rules and the Order of Play. After a first review, I have updated Step 3B:
* Moving the fairy bonus after tallying the points for the feature
* Moving the Markets of Leipzig bonus after tallying the points for the feature
* Moving the Darmstadt church bonus after tallying the points for the feature
* Added a note about the points scored by a castle or a teacher.

Do you find it more clear now?

Thank you for your help.

Cheers!
« Last Edit: March 02, 2020, 06:14:31 PM by Meepledrone »

Offline Swiggan

• Vagabond
  • Merit: 0
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 03, 2020, 03:53:29 AM »

Hi Swiggan,

As you have pointed out there is a discrepancy between the rules and the Order of Play. After a first review, I have updated Step 3B:

Thank you for your help.

Cheers!

Hi Meepledrone - Indeed! I just wasn't sure if that was something that was already planned to be updated or not, but I thought it was worth a mention. Thanks for all the effort that you and everyone else put in to this, it's appreciated!

Offline NGC 54

• Marquis
    • View Profile
    • WikiCarpedia user page
« Reply #58 on: March 03, 2020, 05:00:13 AM »
What happens with a wagon placed in a castle?
Is the sheep field a feature? (Do you receive gold ingots after shepherd's/acrobat pyramid's scoring )?
Can you place a gold ingot on an abbey?
Can you fly on an abbey?
Can you place the farmer on this (image) tile?
Message 8: You (red) have a normal meeple in a city. Blue has 2 normal meeples in the same city. Can you score this city (and receive 0 points)?
Message 8: "Score a Meeple and Return it to your Supply". Just "a meeple"?
Your meeple is on 10. You pay 3 points. Your meeple is on 7. You receive 3 points from a road. Your meeple is on 10. Do you receive a message?
Can you place a meeple in the City of Carcassonne if you have only the tollkeeper on a road, and on that road there is a blue meeple (you cose the road)?
"Wainwrights quarter: Each road that is scored with your majority, you get 1 bonus point for each tile." What hapens if you have a tollkeeper?
Can you receive points from the tollkeepers with a castle?
Do you receive gold ingots with the castle?
Can you move a meeple from City of Carcassonne in an unoccupied feature that is scored by a castle?
The Fruit-Bearing Trees: Can you harvest with the meeple and sell with the phantom?
http://wikicarpedia.com/index.php/The_Messages#cite_note-7 ? This "cite" says that you can remove a meeple from a tower or castle?
The Watchtowers: "2 points for each meeple" and "1 point for each tile showing at least one part of a city". What happens in a case of a castle?
Can you place the tollkeeper if you remove a knight with the Princess
Can you place the tollkeeper and move/place the fairy in the same turn?
Can you place simultaneously with the phantom one these meeples: big meeple, wagon, mayor, ringmaster, abbot?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 02:53:08 AM by Carcassonne93 »

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 03, 2020, 10:59:16 AM »

Hi Swiggan,

Thank you for your help.

Cheers!

Hi Meepledrone - Indeed! I just wasn't sure if that was something that was already planned to be updated or not, but I thought it was worth a mention. Thanks for all the effort that you and everyone else put in to this, it's appreciated!

Hi Swiggan,

There is always room for improvement and I appreciate your interest. I don't think the WICA reference pages are the most popular but they summarize a lot of useful info when playing a several expansions: the order of play, scoring in detail, figure dos and don'ts... So comments and feedback are always most welcome.  ;D

Cheers!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Watchtowers questions

Started by Ratz65

33 Replies
Last post April 23, 2017, 01:51:11 AM
by kettlefish
xx
Abbey And Mayor (New Edition) - Wagon questions

Started by Hounk

24 Replies
Last post June 22, 2017, 06:42:49 AM
by Yashin-n
xx
New Player, New to Forums, With a Couple Dumb Questions

Started by Fellwarre

3 Replies
Last post February 10, 2014, 11:55:57 AM
by Scott
xx
The Barber-Surgeons questions

Started by aenima

8 Replies
Last post May 11, 2021, 10:04:29 PM
by Bumsakalaka
xx
Ask KJW your questions about Carcassonne components!

Started by jungleboy

7 Replies
Last post April 01, 2017, 08:56:28 AM
by Decar