Are you an opener?

No
4 (19%)
Yes
4 (19%)
Yes and I unpunch or sleeve cards too to prepare it for the first game
13 (61.9%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Author Topic: Are you an opener?  (Read 3835 times)

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
Are you an opener?
« on: December 30, 2017, 01:39:05 AM »
It's a pretty simple question (and one Dan needs help answering)

You've just acquired a new game or expansion, even though you might not get chance to play it for several days;  do you open it?

Do you take the cellophane off and sniff the cardboard (maybe that's just me)?
Or do you wait leaving the wrapper on to keep it nice for as long as possible?

If you do open it up, do you also prepare the game ready for the first game, by punching the chits or sleeving cards?

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=3731.0

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
Re: Are you an opener?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2017, 01:48:02 AM »
I'm an opener and a preparer. Part of the fun of the purchase for me is seeing what goodies are in the box and getting myself excited about playing the game! Plus, it gets you prepared to actually play the game by going over the rules etc, and you're more likely to get it to the table sooner. (BTW, I think 'attaching riders to camels' should be included in the preparation options, since that's what I did yesterday after opening Through the Desert).

Recently I've discovered an exception to this: when a Kickstarter game arrives that I backed on some Chooselife-imposed impulse a year earlier and I now think I probably won't enjoy or don't want, and might want to sell new instead. That's what I did with Henchmania and I'll do it with Dwarves in Trouble if/when it ever arrives.

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2017, 02:01:13 AM »
Great reponse JB.  It's always sad when KS shame beats the postman!

I generally prefer pdf rules if I can find it and will read them on my phone when I find the chance. This probably comes from having a lot of German carcassonne expansions.  Similarly I'll watch videos in preparation if I can.

My wife enjoys the prepwork. So as long as there isnt too much. I leave it to her to punch the chits while I go about setting the game boards up.

Offline Hounk

• Baron
  • Merit: 15
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2017, 04:01:19 AM »
Took option 2, although 3 could have been arguebly right as well for me. The thing is, I do not sleeve all games with cards, just the once, I think are prone to early wear. I also don't sleeve inexpensive games, which are just or mainly a deck of cards, like Port Royal, because I consider it more comfortable and cheaper to just replace such a game once played to death.

I also like to open games soon to learn rules in advance. In particular with more complex game, but I think also in general, it is great help to get yourself familiar with all the components rather then just read a pdf. The only type of games, I don't open the shrink wrap in advance are games like the ones in the EXIT series, since there is no need to make yourself aware with the components before playing with this game, and actually a small danger of spoiling something.

Offline Willem

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 118
  • Keeper of the Carcassonne Museum
    • View Profile
    • The Carcassonne Museum
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2017, 04:28:16 AM »
I am definatly an Opener! When a new box comes in, the shrink wrap will have to go! Even when I know im not gonna play it soon, i want to at least look in the box and see what it comes with :)
Join me on the journey through the history and oddities of Carcassonne, on My Instagram
1 0 days since i've bought more Carcassonne

Offline Sinscerly

• Viscount
  • Merit: 30
  • Loving to play.
    • View Profile
    • WikiCarpedia - Wiki-CAR
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2017, 04:39:05 AM »
Mostly I open them right away. But last christmas there were to more then 2 so there are still some in shrink
"What things can you find? Things that are hidden?
Do you know The WikiCarpedia?

Offline Dragonlord

• Count
  • Merit: 15
  • More complex is, more I like it.
    • View Profile
    • Land of Dragons
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2017, 04:50:11 AM »
Always an opener. I like to see what inside the box, learn the rules and often try a simulated game before the real one.  :black1-meeple:

Offline dirk2112

• Baron
  • Merit: 43
  • Filled with caffeine and hyperbole
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2017, 06:14:54 AM »
I feel like I am this forum's contrarian. 

I have a couple of games and expansions that are still in shrink and have been for years.  I also don't mind buying used games and "missing out" on the opening smell and punching chits.  I would hate to open a game, get it ready, and not be able to play it right away.

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2017, 09:05:56 AM »
I feel like I am this forum's contrarian. 

I have a couple of games and expansions that are still in shrink and have been for years.  I also don't mind buying used games and "missing out" on the opening smell and punching chits.  I would hate to open a game, get it ready, and not be able to play it right away.

Not at all Dirk,  I feel much the same way.  If it's not ready to be played, I leave it in cellophane; besides it protects the cardboardy goodness inside.  Though the glare from my unopened shelves is a constant reminder of what is left to explore  :'(

Selling things unopened is a little strange, as there may be components missing.  A local dvd-for-cash shop always opens up films to make sure the disc is in good condition.  Which is contradictory to how I like finding new purchases....

Offline franks

• Marquis
  • Merit: 26
  • I love Carcassonne
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2017, 02:35:11 PM »
Looks like I am the majority here as well.

I usually can't wait to punch and prepare, even if I'm sure this will take a bit to get to the table. I appreciate the work, material, production and thought that goes into a game. If I were to entomb a copy it would have to be a second copy!
Franks

Wanna play Carc? Can we add just one more expansion?

Offline Chooselife

• Viscount
  • Merit: 25
  • Just Ask
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2017, 03:03:22 AM »
Open It!!!!!!! Punch everything!!!!!!!!

I can't help my self, I just need to open it right away or wait for lunch hour since I get most of my games in the office.
I received Covil this week and tought "Well Im might end up selling this one, so better not to open it" it took me 1m to change my mind, 3m to unpunch everything and 10m to apply all stickers.

I love the smell of cardboard in the morning
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers; For he today that sheds his blood with me, Shall be my brother;

Offline Squiffything

• Duke
  • Merit: 21
  • Do I smell onions?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2017, 05:06:25 AM »
I'm with the majority, they have to be opened. The new smell, the seeing what's in the box, the re-reading of the rules (I will have already read them online and watched video run throughs to see if I will like the game and that they will be enjoyed by the family).

Most of my games are then left until we have a games night, sometimes for weeks or months. The more serious games are reserved for the games club but there are many to try out there.
Oooo, look at all the meeples

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
sad
Do you own expansions you never play yet still rush out to buy new ones?

Started by Gerry

27 Replies
Last post October 15, 2014, 10:47:05 PM
by henrysunset
xx
Can you get Message when you get negative points?

Started by Bumsakalaka

8 Replies
Last post August 14, 2022, 10:49:21 PM
by Scott
xx
You can't always get what you want...

Started by Danci

3 Replies
Last post January 11, 2017, 03:54:00 PM
by Danci
xx
Just when you thought YOU were winning...

Started by danisthirty

9 Replies
Last post November 21, 2014, 05:54:18 AM
by BabyGamer
xx
Are You Italian? Why didn't you tell me!

Started by aenima

5 Replies
Last post September 07, 2018, 10:57:12 PM
by aenima