Author Topic: WTB Fan expansions  (Read 6243 times)

Offline Gabrielgeek01

• Freeman
  • Merit: 3
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
WTB Fan expansions
« on: February 11, 2017, 02:50:43 AM »
Hi, I'm interested in buying the semi-official fan expansions: die Wahrsagerin, die Stadttore, die Osterhase. I don't have the equipment to print them and I'm willing to pay for nicely printed tiles (they have to be of good quality, though). I have also something to trade, just in case. Let me know.

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=3168.0
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 05:52:02 AM by Gabrielgeek01 »

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
Re: WTB Fan expansions
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2017, 05:30:34 AM »
<Message Deleted> from Wilem88

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net

Offline Gabrielgeek01

• Freeman
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2017, 06:08:51 AM »
Sorry, I didn't intend to break regulations. I'm OK with trading for those items, of course.

Offline Willem

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 118
  • Keeper of the Carcassonne Museum
    • View Profile
    • The Carcassonne Museum
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2017, 08:20:08 AM »
Sorry, I was unaware of this aswell. Won't post links like that anymore  ::)
Join me on the journey through the history and oddities of Carcassonne, on My Instagram
1 0 days since i've bought more Carcassonne

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2017, 09:00:44 AM »
Thanks guys - To be honest that post isn't kept in the best place.  I think it's important for Carcassonne Central to uphold requests from the publisher, they are kind enough for us to use their artwork for expansions, for example.  Sharing links to questionable content could infringe those benefits we have now.  I often try and report such items to HiG, though usually they do not follow up on them.

Thanks for understanding!

Offline aenima

• Viscount
  • Merit: 37
  • !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2017, 02:44:57 PM »
I think here we can speak of a reimbursement of expenses more than a purchase... there is a cost also to make the fun expansion by ourselves, the tiles,  the paper, the ink...
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 02:46:53 PM by aenima »

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2017, 02:50:34 PM »
These are all part of the commercials of the product. But bear in mind preventing the original IP owner from profits they could make from their IP is a copyright infringement.  By your reasoning downloading a movie for free is acceptable because you're paying the creator of a video file the zero currency it cost them to create it and share it with you.  If you did such a thing you'd be preventing the owner of the film from making money from sales.

Offline wolnic

• Authors
  • Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 207
  • Ummm and Ahhh! Can't decide!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2017, 03:30:18 PM »
Even if the tiles in question have never existed as physical tiles for purchase, and are only available as a download from the manufacturer's website as "Print 'n' Play"? It's not depriving the company of additional revenue - in most cases they're gaining by someone buying the blank tiles ...
AutumnForest (C2), Catch Of The Day (C1/2/WD), Cliffs&W'falls (C1/2), Coast (C1/2), FishHuts (C2), Fluvium (C2), NewForest (C2), Harvest (C1/2), Stone Circles (C1/2), Wells (C2), Jordan River 2 (AotC), River I/II (GR)
Devt: Sakura (C2), WinterEdge (C1), WinterCoast (WD/WE) and others

Offline Ry4Christ

• Vassal
  • Merit: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2017, 06:00:27 PM »
Even if the tiles in question have never existed as physical tiles for purchase, and are only available as a download from the manufacturer's website as "Print 'n' Play"? It's not depriving the company of additional revenue - in most cases they're gaining by someone buying the blank tiles ...

Logically, this makes sense to me as well. They're not losing any money whatsoever by someone printing Fortune Teller tiles for example, and then selling those tiles. But Joe Blow is still profiting off of something they don't own - I think that's the problem legally. Which is unfortunate, because basically if you want quality "Print 'n' Play" tiles, but don't have the capability to make them, you're out of luck unless someone finds it in their heart to just make them and give them to you for free. Is my understanding correct, Decar?

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2017, 08:51:45 PM »
Exactly, HiG own the IP and the rights to distribute it as they feel fit. They can choose to sell their print and plays if they wish. It doesn't give someone else the right to profit from it.  While I'm mentioning profit, that's 'net profit'.  When you buy/trade for an item you establish a contract of exchange. There is no concept of making money legally.  Selling a copied DVD for 1p for a loss or £1 for a profit makes no difference to the copyright infringement.  You just have a seller making a 'net profit' but a 'gross loss'.

Also let's talk about covering shipping.  This is part of the contract of sale.  When I buy an item from the USA I am obliged to pay income TAX not just on the cost of the item, but also the shipping.  The shipping is considered part of the cost of sale.  It is not OK to sell something for free and charge  £10 shipping.  The contract of exchange has taken place. You've spent £10 to get the item.  You have the right to haggle and barter for the price agreed in the sale.

Offline Ry4Christ

• Vassal
  • Merit: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2017, 10:07:30 PM »
Thank you for helping us all understand all of this, so we can keep Carcassonne Central on the up and up, Decar. So would I be allowed to propose a trade with someone where they print the tiles for me, and I give them something in return, say another expansion? As long as no profit is being made, or money exchanged, then it would be ok?

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2017, 12:24:18 AM »
I'd argue that if you traded an item, you would be making  net-profit because you received goods for another service.  As I explained above the concept of profit isn't considered when a sale is being agreed.  Buying and selling is the same as trading.  It's certainly a grey area we have to be careful. Either way perhaps the publisher will revoke their current position if they are unhappy.

Offline mPony

• Vassal
  • Greetings from Canada!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2017, 02:17:43 PM »
I'd argue that if you traded an item, you would be making  net-profit because you received goods for another service. 

I think it could be a net-loss if the goods traded were worth more than the good received.  As such it could fall under "barter" as opposed to "sale for profit".

Still I understand this website not wanting to risk upsetting HiG and the other publishers if people started to abuse the spirit of barter.

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2017, 02:22:45 PM »
The term used by the publisher is "commercial purposes".  It doesn't mention having to make a profit.  In fact it states it must be for free.  If you sell something for a loss that just makes your a bad salesman, not a legal one.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
CC fan expansions going official ... any progress ?

Started by Sekim

3 Replies
Last post February 21, 2013, 06:29:11 AM
by Scott
xx
Game with Fan-Expansions

Started by quevy

0 Replies
Last post September 27, 2015, 02:13:38 AM
by quevy
xx
Which fan expansions do you regularly play?

Started by Rosco

8 Replies
Last post August 20, 2015, 07:35:55 AM
by ARabidMeerkat
question
Printing Fan Expansions

Started by edarling

2 Replies
Last post September 27, 2019, 12:02:33 AM
by Meepledrone
xx
French version of the fan-made expansions rules in pdf