Author Topic: Watchtowers questions  (Read 16888 times)

Offline Fritz_Spinne

• Authors
  • Viscount
  • Merit: 21
    • View Profile
Re: Watchtowers questions
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2016, 10:50:24 AM »
In the german rules there is:
Wenn die Straße oder die Stadt eines Meeple auf einem Wachturm Plättchen abgeschlossen wir, wertest du zuerst den Wachturm und dann die abgeschlossene Straße oder Stadt.
Translation: If the street or the city of a Meeple on a watchtower tile is completed you at first score the watchtower and then (score) the completed street or city.

I think this gives a clear answer:
If a street or a city is completed
and
a part of it is on the watchtower tile
and there is a meeple on this part
then the player of this meeple scores the watchtower extra points.

If there are more meeple on features on the watchtower tile there will be more watchtower scorings.

Offline aenima

• Viscount
  • Merit: 37
  • !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2016, 12:59:24 AM »
I think that at the end of the game a meeple standing on a watchtower tile keep no point from it...
anyway... Kettlefish, there is no a clarification call with Hig this year?

...and I was thinking: maybe the points for monastery can be also from cathedrals, temples ecc...

bye! :)
« Last Edit: November 25, 2016, 02:09:07 AM by MrNumbers, Reason: Merged 2 posts »

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2016, 02:47:28 AM »
It was made very clear in the rules:

Of course you can combine 'Watchtowers'  with other expansions, too, but this happens "at your own risk".  There sill be no official rules published by us.

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
  • Merit: 127
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2016, 09:49:26 AM »
I think that at the end of the game a meeple standing on a watchtower tile keep no point from it...
anyway... Kettlefish, there is no a clarification call with Hig this year?
No, I haven't ask HiG about the clarification of rules. We've talked a bit about the new wagon rule in the CC II New Edition - 5th Expansions. That was all.
Since obervet didn't like to update the CAR anymore and I didn't get any new questions from him what is still open - I decided not to ask HiG about the clarifications of rules. For the new edition  I don't have any clarifications.
...and I was thinking: maybe the points for monastery can be also from cathedrals, temples ecc...
bye! :)
There are no answers from HiG - I will not ask them because in the rules HiG explain that it would be your own risk to play with expansions...
So the best way ist play test games and then tell us your feelings if the expansion should work with the Watchtowers or not.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 09:53:23 AM by kettlefish »

Offline aenima

• Viscount
  • !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2016, 11:37:49 PM »

Since obervet didn't like to update the CAR anymore and I didn't get any new questions from him what is still open - I decided not to ask HiG about the clarifications of rules. For the new edition  I don't have any clarifications.

we are losing an in important thing... I hope obervet will change his mind or meybe he will give the project to someone else...
I can't, I just do the italian one and I can't write in a correct english...  :(

Offline Whaleyland

• Great Khan
  • Global Moderator
  • Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 101
  • Toulouse: Carcassonne's insignificant neighbor.
    • View Profile
    • Derek R. Whaley, PhD | Librarian, Historian, and Writer
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2017, 11:45:57 PM »
Just gave this expansion a first try and I can tell you that these rules are utter ! So not clear. No end game rules and the examples are unclear whether a follower is on the tower itself or the feature beside the tower. We tried a 2-player game with the followers ON the towers, and I can tell you that you run out of meeples real fast. We decided that the tiles still score at game end, but the fact this isn't clarified is really annoying. Despite this being a "New Art" expansion, I do hope kettlefish changes her mind about FAQs for this. I don't like playing expansions without knowing how to properly play an expansion.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 02:40:24 AM by Decar, Reason: Language »

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2017, 12:30:52 AM »
I still don't have this mini expansion. I am not happy about the graphics and the rules are awful.

Offline Willem

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 118
  • Keeper of the Carcassonne Museum
    • View Profile
    • The Carcassonne Museum
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2017, 04:25:50 AM »
we've played it several times, and i also think its rubbish. Besides the wrong number in the english rules (says 6 instead of 12).
Its very unclear, as to what happens if you place it to extend or finish a project you're already on, do you get the watchtower bonus or not?
So we kinda decided that:
When you play the tile, you have to claim something on it (not the tower itself, as it states in the rules you can't i think)
When you finish that project you count the points and get the bonus
It can't be used again (otherwise you have to keep track of what has been used and what not)
No end of game bonus
The english rules state you can put a meeple on the tile as a farmer, but they don't trigger scoring, and meeples are not on the tower itself, but on the city,road or farm. And it says that if a completed road or city has a meeple on a watchtower (i asume watchtowertile) you trigger watchtower bonus, so thats why we agreed on that you have to claim something on the tile when you lay it, and that is the only thing that can get the bonus. If you use it to complete a city/road you're already in, you can't get the bonus, because you don't have a meeple on the watchtower tile (cus you cant when your already in the city/road).

Its not the best of expansions, and just gives more questions.
Join me on the journey through the history and oddities of Carcassonne, on My Instagram
1 0 days since i've bought more Carcassonne

Offline Whaleyland

• Great Khan
  • Global Moderator
  • Marquis Chevalier
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2017, 04:36:08 AM »
Sounds good. Thank you Willem88. Perhaps the images are showing the meeples on both a feature and the Watchtower? Hmm. Either way, your logic makes sense. I imagine that if you play with fliers (or Phantom or Magic Portals), then you could claim a Watchtower again or another play could concurrently claim one, but the points would only go to them when they complete their feature. At least that is how I understand it now, based on your interpretation. I guess no end-game bonus makes sense since you will still score the rest of the feature like normal.

I still don't have this mini expansion. I am not happy about the graphics and the rules are awful.
I can't agree with you more – the rules are terribly written and since this is an official Hans im Glück expansion, it does not bode well that they don't even bother to explain these rules when using other expansions. It really would not have taken more than a folded rules sheet rather than a half-sheet to expand the rules a bit and give some expansion interaction content. What a ! preview of the future of Carcassonne promo expansions.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 04:46:43 AM by Decar, Reason: Language »

Offline aenima

• Viscount
  • !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2017, 06:32:28 AM »
In the german rules there is:
Wenn die Straße oder die Stadt eines Meeple auf einem Wachturm Plättchen abgeschlossen wir, wertest du zuerst den Wachturm und dann die abgeschlossene Straße oder Stadt.
Translation: If the street or the city of a Meeple on a watchtower tile is completed you at first score the watchtower and then (score) the completed street or city.

I think this gives a clear answer:
If a street or a city is completed
and
a part of it is on the watchtower tile
and there is a meeple on this part
then the player of this meeple scores the watchtower extra points.

If there are more meeple on features on the watchtower tile there will be more watchtower scorings.

ok for the question at the end of the game that remains open, but I don't understand what is the problem with the rules... I think here Fritz_Spinne made a perfect summary

Offline Whaleyland

• Great Khan
  • Global Moderator
  • Marquis Chevalier
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2017, 02:31:26 PM »
Sounds good, aenima. I agree with Fritz-Spinne's summary and it seems pretty straight-forward. But the actual official rules are still ! and leave too many vagaries due to poor translating and lack of testing. In German they may read better, but kettlefish's comments suggest otherwise.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 02:35:45 PM by Decar, Reason: Language again »

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2017, 02:49:58 PM »
There is no rule what happens with following situation:

Does the knight (at the citiy segment of the watchtower tile) gets the watchtower points if this knight has not the majority in that city? What happens with the other knight in that city - do they get the points for the city?

Offline aenima

• Viscount
  • !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2017, 12:05:21 AM »
There is no rule what happens with following situation:

Does the knight (at the citiy segment of the watchtower tile) gets the watchtower points if this knight has not the majority in that city? What happens with the other knight in that city - do they get the points for the city?

I think he takes the points because  watchtower points are one thing and the City points are another thing...

Well... I know, "I think" is not enough...

Kettle... I know you don't ask HIG clarifications because obervert doesn't want to update the CAR...
I know also that most of the "old" carcassonne funs don't like the New edition ecc.. ecc...
But  the truth is that the New edition is the actual  reality and that, in addition to the small part of the "old" funs (like me) that will continue to follow and buy New stufs,  there is and there will be the "joung" that love it (because, I'm sure about that, It's just a matter of habit regard new colours...) that will follow and will buy new  stufs...
So... I'm asking you and to all to continue this job.
I know there will be not another CAR, but, maybe, it's only an idea, we can use this forum... maybe we can create in the rules section new subparagraphs with the names of the new expansions and update the rules clarifications there...
Also... I need it because of the italian RCA  ;D
Seriously... we  need it

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2017, 12:16:03 AM »
That is not the reason:

The watchtower rules state:
  They wont clarify and you use the watchtower expansion at your own risk.

Offline Whaleyland

• Great Khan
  • Global Moderator
  • Marquis Chevalier
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2017, 01:21:25 AM »
That is not the reason:

The watchtower rules state:
  They wont clarify and you use the watchtower expansion at your own risk.
To be fair, the current rules issues are only specific to the expansion itself, not its interactions with other expansions, so I feel aenima has a point. This is an issue that deserves clarification. I think based on precedents, we can figure out most rules conflicts or create a house-rule guide that is not entirely unofficial.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
The Barbarian Report: All Along the Watchtowers (The Watchtowers)

Started by Whaleyland

1 Replies
Last post July 25, 2022, 12:05:06 PM
by Meepledrone
xx
Clarification of rules (Watchtowers and double tiles) - with KJW - 09 10 2022

Started by Meepledrone

17 Replies
Last post December 20, 2022, 11:17:21 AM
by Meepledrone
xx
watchtowers question/rule clarification...

Started by robnhill

4 Replies
Last post February 01, 2017, 11:55:17 PM
by GeorG
question
Element of the Week #58 – The Watchtowers

Started by Whaleyland

2 Replies
Last post April 30, 2017, 10:07:25 AM
by Halfling
xx
UtBT, Watchtowers v1 Art