Author Topic: Carcassonne 2.0 + Expansions  (Read 42234 times)

Offline TheDoctor_13

• Nobleman
  • Merit: 1
  • I'll Claim This Farm
    • View Profile
Carcassonne 2.0 + Expansions
« on: January 15, 2015, 04:44:14 PM »
I got this version for Christmas, I did have a choice and I choose this one. I mean why not go for the new one? And I liked art, it had more color and detail. But now I kinda feel like I shot myself in the foot since now I guess all the expansions arn't going to fit right, and it being mixed dosen't look to great.

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=1456.0

Offline DLloyd09

• Vassal
  • Merit: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Carcassonne 2.0 + Expansions
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2015, 05:03:22 PM »
Nobody really knows what HiG will do moving forward re: expansions for the new art style (personally, I hope Carc 2.0 will be a one-and-done, and they'll stick with the old art for new releases, as many around here also feel).

Artistic compatibility with the expansions is certainly questionable, but the expansions are all technically compatible. The features all still fit together in the same way and the tile backs are the same design, so it is still playable. And I guess if you had to have a silver lining you can look at this way: It'll be even easier to sort out the expansion tiles from the base game if you buy the expansions in the old art style!

Offline TheDoctor_13

• Nobleman
  • I'll Claim This Farm
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2015, 05:26:52 PM »
Nobody really knows what HiG will do moving forward re: expansions for the new art style (personally, I hope Carc 2.0 will be a one-and-done, and they'll stick with the old art for new releases, as many around here also feel).

Artistic compatibility with the expansions is certainly questionable, but the expansions are all technically compatible. The features all still fit together in the same way and the tile backs are the same design, so it is still playable. And I guess if you had to have a silver lining you can look at this way: It'll be even easier to sort out the expansion tiles from the base game if you buy the expansions in the old art style!

Yeah I seen a lot of dis-taste on here, some still kinda like it though. I kinda hope they would atleast re-print some the extensions in the new style, like River II (Like they did with River 1), and Inns & Cathedrals and I would be fine. Not a whole lot interest in the rest. Possbily the mini expension of normal tiles, then maybe the half tiles. Though that also leaves out all the fan expansions though those are probably editable in photoshop if need be.

Offline Hounk

• Baron
  • Merit: 15
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2015, 03:51:56 AM »
HiG advertised this edition as graphic revision, they felt, the game would need after 15 years and somebody mentioned in the forum here, that they discontinued the contract with Doris Matthäus, the former artist. So although really know, what they will do, I think it is quite likely, that they will stick stick to this design in the future, like Kosmos did with "Settlers of Catan", where over the years until now three different designs of tiles had been produced.

So I think, they will make I&C at the least (since it is probably there best selling expansion?), as soon as it gets out of print in the new design, and maybe also most of the other big expansions, like "King, Cult & Count",which includes "The River 2". But I would be surprised, if all of the old mini expansions would be reprinted in the new artwork. Especially with the "Spielbox" expansions like "The Plague" I think it is a save bet, that they won't.

Offline TheDoctor_13

• Nobleman
  • I'll Claim This Farm
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2015, 07:13:27 PM »
HiG advertised this edition as graphic revision, they felt, the game would need after 15 years and somebody mentioned in the forum here, that they discontinued the contract with Doris Matthäus, the former artist. So although really know, what they will do, I think it is quite likely, that they will stick stick to this design in the future, like Kosmos did with "Settlers of Catan", where over the years until now three different designs of tiles had been produced.

So I think, they will make I&C at the least (since it is probably there best selling expansion?), as soon as it gets out of print in the new design, and maybe also most of the other big expansions, like "King, Cult & Count",which includes "The River 2". But I would be surprised, if all of the old mini expansions would be reprinted in the new artwork. Especially with the "Spielbox" expansions like "The Plague" I think it is a save bet, that they won't.

Didn't know that about the artist, since people don't really like the new edition that could be trouble. But I doubt much new BIG expansions will come anymore. The new style really aint that bad when actually looking at it in person, the grass is more natural, and the cities make sense, the lighter wall is because of the stone, and the ground is more muddy thus darker color, not to mention the more detail. I think I&C, T&B, P&D, River II are the most likely to come back in the new style.

Especially since the artist change, I don't think it'll be a one-off change, it is called Carcassonne 2/New edition afterall, not a seperate name

Offline Hounk

• Baron
  • Merit: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2015, 02:53:10 AM »
I don't think, that most people really don't like the new artwork. But it is quite understandable, that:
  • Nobody wants to buy all expansions again.
  • New and old version don't mix well visually in the look of the board. (Although you could theoretical do it, because the back sides of the tiles are the same.)
  • It is not likely, that all of the old expansions will be reprinted in the new artwork or all of the upcoming expansions will be released in the old artwork. So even if some of the old players are willing to buy all the new expansions for collecting reason, they would be restricted in their mixing and matchin in game. (Either don't mix tiles from any old-style exclusive expansions with any new-style exclusive or live with the visual flaw.)
Naturally, redesigning a game is always bad news for the lovers of the old one, at least, if it's one, which pumps out expansion like Carcassonne.

Personally, I do consider the new artwork nice as well. And if I would have known of it before, I might have waited a couple of weeks, to obtain it rather then the big box. But I am now very contend, that I did not. First, because I played the game quite a lot with family between Christmas time and New Years Eve. It would have been not the same, just with the base game, beside, we even had a couple of six players games. Second, the "new rules" are supposed to be easier to catch up at younger age. I read the German pdf, they are not! They are just embarrassing to be read if you are planning to obtain the game for an adult only gaming group. (And in my family group, there was just one six year old boy, who was taught the rules by me anyway, but for the rest, the others would have probably asked, why I want to play with them a dedicated "kids game", if they would have checked the rules.) Third, mentioned by danisthirty somewhere, HiG lost the opportunity, to further tweak the game with the new release. A score board with (at least) 100 points on the loop would have been an obvious improve, which could have been done.

Offline Fragglefish

• Vagabond
  • Merit: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2015, 05:45:28 AM »
The Doctor, I made the same mistake.  I can live with the fact that the tiles don't 'match' as it doesn't affect game play BUT what I'm not sure about is if the cities from Traders and Builders can be completed using the city tiles from the newest version of the base game?  We originally thought they were meant to be two separate types of cities because the rooves on the houses in the base or blue and red but the expansion they are all red.  However, from looking at pictures it appears in the old version of the base they were all red as well.

In sum, are these designed to be two different 'cities' that have to be completed with tiles from their own set or can you complete cities using tiles from other sets? 

Thanks!

Offline Fritz_Spinne

• Authors
  • Viscount
  • Merit: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2015, 06:10:35 AM »
All cities from both editions are meant to be the same, there is no difference. Same for roads and fields ...

Offline Fragglefish

• Vagabond
  • Merit: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2015, 06:17:06 AM »
Perfect - thanks so much.  I thought that was the case but the blue towers in the cities on the new base game confused us. 

Offline Scott

• Administrator
  • Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 114
    • View Profile
    • CarcassonneCentral
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2015, 09:14:19 PM »
I like the old artwork and the new artwork the same way that I like pizza and ice cream: both are good separately, but not necessarily together. That depends on your definition of together. I'll eat pizza and ice cream in the same sitting, but I don't put ice cream ON my pizza. It would turn into a mess pretty quickly.

I do not look forward to buying the common expansions a second time (which could be considered the third time, since I have two sets of tiles for some expansions thanks to Ted who put together an upgrade kit a few years ago), but I am likely to do so if that's the route that HiG decides to take. In that case, I would buy another plastic organizer (or finally venture into the realm of wooden storage solutions) and start a separate collection. This would probably also mean buying the meeple color sets again, which makes me feel sad, but my OCD insists upon it.

An official decision has not been made yet. I think HiG is waiting to see how well the new edition sells, to determine how many copies of the expansions they can hope to sell.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 09:15:50 PM by Scott »

Offline Carcking

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 33
  • I call Red!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2015, 08:18:12 AM »
I like the old artwork and the new artwork the same way that I like pizza and ice cream...

I like them the way I like pizza and...rhubarb.  :P
I just drew the perfect tile for my MonKnighThieFarmer!

Offline TheDoctor_13

• Nobleman
  • I'll Claim This Farm
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2015, 12:56:35 PM »
Well my mom suprised me with the I&C expansion. I question whether I should return it and wait to see if theres official word, keep it and maybe buy the new one while still having the old one (Not that interested in having a collection like most of you), or just try to not let it drive me crazy.

Offline DLloyd09

• Vassal
  • Merit: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2015, 01:28:10 PM »
(Not that interested in having a collection like most of you)

How many of us have said this? *raises hand*

19 expansions later...

>:D

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2015, 02:08:02 PM »
I like them the way I like pizza and...rhubarb.  :P

:(y)

Pizza and broccoli for me.

(Not that interested in having a collection like most of you)

How many of us have said this? *raises hand*

19 expansions later...

>:D

:(y)

Offline Durbs

• Villein
  • Merit: 3
  • Dirty Meeple Trapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2015, 01:09:58 AM »
I've orderd BC&B from a supplier and it's being pretty delayed. I did get the below from them though:

(My bold)

We do now have a reason for the delay though – they recently updated the main Carcassonne game and it’s tiles, so are updating the tiles in the expansions too. (The old tiles will still be on the back of the new ones so everything remains compatible)

This sounds like they're doing double-faced tiles, with no grey side to them?!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Expansions Featuring Other Expansions' Features

Started by Whaleyland

4 Replies
Last post October 28, 2014, 05:24:15 AM
by jungleboy
clip
WTS multiple C1 & C2 expansions, mini-expansions, meeple sets and accessories

Started by corinthiens13

26 Replies
Last post March 15, 2021, 02:18:33 AM
by corinthiens13
xx
Rank the 10 Carcassonne main expansions

Started by dirk2112

38 Replies
Last post February 22, 2018, 12:41:29 AM
by Klink010
xx
WTB Major Carcassonne Expansions

Started by DavidY

1 Replies
Last post October 21, 2014, 01:47:46 AM
by Duncan90
xx
181-tile Carcassonne for Four (10 expansions)

Started by danisthirty

9 Replies
Last post August 16, 2013, 11:16:39 PM
by CKorfmann