Author Topic: Abbots, Monks, Heretics, Bishops and... Abbots.  (Read 3318 times)

Offline Christopher

• Count
  • Merit: 12
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
    • View Profile
Abbots, Monks, Heretics, Bishops and... Abbots.
« on: March 23, 2016, 08:02:28 AM »
Hello all!

Dirk recently pointed out that we now have, in our little game of Carcassonne, Abbots, Monks, Heretics, and, from the new Cathedrals expansion, Bishops. Further to this, we have Abbots twice. Once from the German Monasteries expansions, and once from Carcassonne II. Given that one of the virtues of CII is that it is completely compatible with previous expansions, owing to having the same backs, (*rotten tomato to the face* "Who threw that?") this could conceivably mean that you are playing with Abbots (CII) and Abbots (GM). Which could lead to confusion. And, is remarkably irritating if you happen to have a giant stick up your back. Being as fastidious as I am, this naming repetition is a huge problem for me.

Is there an official ruling on an alternate name for the Monasteries expansion follower? There is a note in the rules about calling them a prior, but it states that they are not doing this. For clarity, apparently. Alternatively, as I suspect there is not an official ruling, is it possible for us as a community to decide on an alternate name? I realise that this would probably lead to more confusion initially, but it would be nice to have an at least un-official name for them which we could all use.

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=2557.0
« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 09:46:03 AM by Christopher »
Look to the north. Keep looking. There's nothing coming from the south.

Offline dirk2112

• Baron
  • Merit: 43
  • Filled with caffeine and hyperbole
    • View Profile
Re: Abbots, Monks, Heretics, Bishops and... Abbots.
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2016, 08:23:08 AM »
Monasteries have monks and abbots, so there is nothing you can do there.  Cloisters can be changed to convents and you could then have nuns.  The problem there is the game is 15 years old and it is way too late to change one of the basic terms.   

Carc II is relatively new, so I think the change should be made there.  Abbots and monks don't normally leave their Monasteries, but friars do.  Friars went out among the people and I suppose could also garden...  The problem then is the meeple doesn't really look like a friar.  Actually the abbots in the new game are pretty lame and shouldn't be used.  The gardens should be used like vineyards from Hills and Sheeps.  There you go, problem solved.   >:D

Offline Christopher

• Count
  • Merit: 12
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
    • View Profile
Re: Abbots, Monks, Heretics, Bishops and... Abbots.
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2016, 09:48:18 AM »
Monasteries have monks and abbots, so there is nothing you can do there.  Cloisters can be changed to convents and you could then have nuns.  The problem there is the game is 15 years old and it is way too late to change one of the basic terms.   

Carc II is relatively new, so I think the change should be made there.  Abbots and monks don't normally leave their Monasteries, but friars do.  Friars went out among the people and I suppose could also garden...  The problem then is the meeple doesn't really look like a friar.  Actually the abbots in the new game are pretty lame and shouldn't be used.  The gardens should be used like vineyards from Hills and Sheeps.  There you go, problem solved.   >:D

The problem with changing the CII term is that all of the expansions re-printed in the new artwork will be expecting Abbots, thus the change would need to apply over all of those. If the change is with Monasteries, that's just two mini-expansions to change.

Abbots are here to stay, Dirk, better get used to them! :P Also, do any followers really look like anything?? Barring the pig, of course!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
clip
Completionism Poll #4: Heretics and Shrines (Cult)

Started by jungleboy

24 Replies
Last post May 08, 2016, 10:04:24 AM
by Decar
xx
A lot of Heretics

Started by totor66

5 Replies
Last post April 05, 2015, 04:18:31 AM
by SRBO
xx
Ghosts, Abbots and Spell Circles - Clarifications by Cundco - 13 03 2024